Debris from Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 lay splayed for miles across silent rural fields in eastern Ukraine on Saturday. Two days after the jet crashed, some bodies remained strapped in seat belts - wearing inflight headphones.
Conspicuously missing at the crash site near Torez were international forensic workers needed to secure and sort the wreckage, and a recovery crew to identify and remove with dignity the bodies of the 298 people who were on board MH17.
A few things have been moved. Luggage was stacked in piles; mementos, children's toys were handled. Most everything is unguarded, there for the curious - or for the taking.
But the debris field hasn't changed much overall since it slammed into place from about 30,000 feet in the air. Not like it would change, if investigators had a chance to cordon it off and catalog it.
Ukraine's President agreed Friday to give up some of his powers and schedule early elections, raising hopes that a truce would hold after days of deadly fighting between anti-government protesters and security forces.
After a night of difficult negotiations that stretched into the afternoon, foreign ministers from Germany and Poland said opposition leaders had agreed to the deal to end the crisis, which began in November with anger about President Viktor Yanukovych's decision to scrap a European Union-oriented trade deal and turn toward Russia.
It escalated this week with fierce fighting that the government says has claimed 78 lives and drew swift rebuke from the West. Protesters put the death toll at about 128.
"We are about to sign," Polish Foreign Minister Radoslaw Sikorski said on Twitter. "Good compromise for Ukraine. Gives peace a chance. Opens the way to reform and to Europe."
Earlier, opposition leader and former boxer Vitali Klitschko said protesters must keep the pressure on the government.
"We must do everything to stop the confrontation, and the people who gave illegal orders will be brought to justice," he said.
By Phil Black, Nick Paton Walsh and Michael Pearson
Kiev, Ukraine (CNN) - A short-lived truce crumbled Thursday as gunfire erupted at Independence Square, the center of anti-government protests and an increasingly violent crisis that threatens catastrophe for this divided nation.
The head of the protesters' medical service said 100 people died and 500 were injured in clashes on Thursday, just hours after the government declared a truce in fighting that had shocked world leaders with the deaths of 28 people two days before.
The Ukrainian government has not released its own casualty figures, but Interior Minister Vitali Zakharchenko said 25 police officers had been wounded and an unspecified number of them had died. Some others had been taken hostage, he said.
If Thursday's death toll is confirmed, it would make it the deadliest day in Ukraine since protests began.
They've given up their ground before - voluntarily, as a political concession. But that seems to be over.
After the deaths of 25 people in clashes a day earlier, Ukrainian protesters are prepared to stand and fight again Wednesday.
Police want to clear them out of central Kiev. Some of them died trying to stay put Tuesday - using projectiles and burning barricades to keep security forces at bay at Kiev's Maidan, or Independence Square.
In the aftermath of Tuesday's skirmishes, world leaders ratcheted up calls for sanctions on the Ukrainian government. European Union foreign policy chief Catherine Ashton called the Political and Security Committee into "extraordinary" session to deal with the crisis, while leaders from France, Poland and the United States called for swift action.
U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry was expected to address the issue in remarks later Wednesday in Paris, a senior administration official told CNN. Included in the U.S. approach, the official said: the very real potential of sanctions.
See more at CNN.com