Two powerful tornadoes swirled side by side through the countryside of northeastern Nebraska Monday, wrecking nearly three-fourths of the small town of Pilger.
According to Stanton County Sheriff Mike Unger, two people died during the storm – but there are stories of survival as well.
Storm chaser Mark "Storm" Farnik described how he helped to rescue a family trapped in a basement on "New Day" Tuesday.
"Their house was wiped out, their cars were gone, their dog was gone ... it was absolutely heartbreaking. But I just held onto them until they could calm down a little bit," Farnik said.
It's been quite a year!
1. We launched one year ago on June 17, 2013–
2. Got a little crazy with props (re: need more coffee)
3. Survived a heat wave...
4. ... and a polar vortex
5. Battled team US vs. team Canada
6. Traveled far and wide to report. Places like Kuala Lumpur...
7. and South Africa...
8. And definitely stayed up past our bedtimes... on a number of occasions!
9. And later this year, Kate is having a baby!
10. Thanks to everyone – especially our fans – for a great first year!
Connect with us!
Need to get today's top stories on-the-go? Watch Michaela Pereira's morning minute now!
And here's a rundown of the top stories from today's show:
The White House prepares as militants advance in Iraq. Tornadoes tear up northeastern Nebraska. And the U.S. notches a World Cup win over Ghana.
It's Tuesday and here are the 5 things to know for your New Day