March 5th, 2014

Minnesota Man Believes No School Kid Should Ever Go Hungry

In today's edition of the "Good Stuff," a Minnesota man starts a fund to help kids in need get hot lunch. CNN's Chris Cuomo reports.

In Minnesota right now, there are 45 public schools that will turn a student away from the lunch counter hungry if his account is empty. Staff will pull him out of the line and even stamp his hands.

Dave Axel says he can't stand for that.

“I just didn't like it and I sent my money in right away," he says.  "The more I thought about it, the more intense I became about it, and I wanted to do something for them.”

Axell has started the "Otter Angels" fund to pay for lunch for those students who can't afford it.

The best part is it's all done through the cash register so the fund kicks in automatically and anonymously.

See the full story at CNN affiliate WDAY  and if you have #GoodStuff news, let us know!

Leave a comment, post on Facebook, or tweet to @ChrisCuomo & @NewDay using #NewDay and submit your story on iReport.

Posted by
Filed under: News • The Good Stuff • Videos
  1. Dave Axell

Forgot to include my FB page...it's just Dave Axell.......thanks again

March 6, 2014 at 9:03 pm | Reply
  2. Dave

I am the guy who started the ball rolling......One fact that was wrong was that it isn't just 45 schools, it's 45 School Districts so the number of actual schools is much greater. According to research only 31% of Minnesota schools provide a lunch regardless of the situation. As far as people abusing the system, we don't care, no hungry kids period. We would hope that if the parent or parents are able, they would reimburse the " Otter Angels," program. We had one student need to use the fund the first day it was up and running. We have taken steps that will allow the cashier to go right to the fund, if a student is short of funds or has none. Result, no stigma, no bullying, no marks on the hand, no emailing of parents and no phone calls to the parent, end result no hungry kids and better use of staff time, in the end it's win....win for all of us. Thanks to anyone willing to contribute to the fund. You can check my FB page, you might have to scroll through some other posts but you will find a post that directs you to the fund, which can be done online or if you prefer you can send it via U.S.P.S to School District 544, Mark Masten, 601 Randolph Ave Fergus Falls,56537 and in the memo part of your check put "Otter Angels." thanks in advance from me and the kids

March 6, 2014 at 9:01 pm | Reply
  3. maryjane41

I agree with Julie... throwing money at a problem is not always the answer. The school system has to find a way to feed everyone equally. Afte rall, we are entrusting our children to them for 6-7 hours per day. How would we respond if our day care provider didn't feel the children in their care? This is a nice gesture, but the difficulty of deciding between the deserving poor and the parents who forget or don't pay can get sticky. (I often was late with lunch money... don't kill me or my kid.)

March 5, 2014 at 3:29 pm | Reply
    • Jacob David

obviously in this case throwing money at it does work because it gets peoples attention so far .what do want the guy to do donate a cow or a chicken? come on lady don't try to down size the fact this man is stepping up unlike most scared people. I'm sure u spend plenty on stuff you don't need and or throw it out.get off your high horse and figure it out. who cares what kind of help it is as long as its for the good for the future.You contradict yourself since you yourself admit to forgetting to pay well maybe you could get a penalty like yourself having to do dishes in front of your kids at school or you getting detention.Since you don't get the facts kid would get the food taken and throwen away or embarassed infront of other kids, have yours ?well I guess this woulda saved yours too then. This man is a hero he has fought in a war..have you?exactly and now hes fighting your war ...the parents fight for you.just respect what hes done and is trying to do.

March 6, 2014 at 2:27 am | Reply
  4. Julie

Can we set up one of those online fundraisers and spread it across Facebook and Twitter and e-mail where it's linked to Otter Fund or create a general fund for all the schools so no one in the State of Minnesota is left without a lunch? I think what he's doing for Fergus Falls is great but it goes way beyond that community. I grew up in Minnesota but live in Illinois now. I am unemployed and have experience setting up an online fundraiser after doing it twice to raise money for a friend who suffered brain cancer. I just wouldn't know who to contact to connect any donations directly to them when the fundraiser ends and all the other information needed to start one up. I am connected to a lot of people in MN that would give, including family who are teachers.

March 5, 2014 at 2:08 pm | Reply
    • Dave Axell

Julie.....For my situation you can do all the transfers online. As I said in my post, the donation can be made online. You just need to refer to my FB page, you might have to scroll through some messages to get the online donation site. If you would chose to send it U.S.P.S. the address would be District 544, attn. Mark Masten, 601 Randolph Ave, Fergus Falls, Mn. 56537 and if it's a check you need to identify it for the " Otter Angels." you can email me at: daveaxell@hotmail.com after you contact me I will email you my cell number. What ever you are able to do it will be greatly appreciated, if we get enough response we will figure out a way to disperse funds to other School Districts in Minnesota.....thanks again....Dave

March 6, 2014 at 9:15 pm | Reply