February 4th, 2014

Tiger Mom and "The Triple Package"

"Tiger Mom" Amy Chua and her husband Jed Rubenfeld have a provocative new book called: "The triple package: How three unlikely traits explain the rise and fall of cultural groups in America."

Chua made headlines for her 2011 book pushing what some called severe parenting, but in this new book, they suggest that certain groups are more successful than others because of three specific traits: superiority complex, insecurity and impulse control.

The authors say there's research behind it, but critics say it fuels racism.

Rubenfeld rebuts this and tells CNN's Chris Cuomo, "The whole book is to show what's propelling success has nothing to do with race. People who are succeeding come from all different backgrounds and skin colors."

Chua adds, "I think there's a difference between saying some groups are superior in some innate way and that they're just doing better right now. The important point is that these groups change over time."

SEE FULL INTERVIEW ABOVE

Posted by
Filed under: Interview • News
  1. cajun

At the golden age of 52, I have found myself a new job,after being underemployed for for 5 months. .......I am now immersed in a situation where I am in competition with people half my age, from practically every culture, generation and sexual orientation,for a 33% less wages that I had grown accustomed to. I am impressed with the drive and the determination exhibited by my coworkers. I am equally disappointed in the obvious lack of representation in my workplace from young people that were born into the American dream, and who obviously prefer to spend their most productive years at the mall tweeting like twits, pursuing jobs that pay minimum wages, while my coworkers, who left their homelands with only a high school diploma ( and maybe a little Vocational Training ) are getting hired on with starting wages that are equal to TWICE the minimum wage.......Wake up your kids America ! ! !

February 9, 2014 at 4:26 pm | Reply
  2. Usahi

It was not until I was able to let go of my own Chinese culture and heritage that I was finally able to free my mind and spirit to accept innovation, creativity and progressive wisdom. Now my life is peaceful, productive and positive.

February 4, 2014 at 6:18 pm | Reply
  3. Bob

Don't even need to read the book: superiority complex, insecurity and impulse control. Le's break it down and I am not giving definitions.

1-Superiority complex: Some people feel that they are owed certain things and should be given them instead of working their tails off to compete with others that are fighting for the same jobs and pay. Others believe that they are superior and will work hard to prove it.

2-Insecurity: Some feel that they are below others and don't bother trying. "My parents didn't succeed, so I am stuck with the cards I have been dealt and it is your fault". Others are insecure and push themselves harder then everyone else since they do feel insecure. It all depends on how you look at it.

3-Impulse control: not being able to keep it in your pants and you have a child while being a child and are not able to finish your education so you are stuck again in the poverty circle. It goes on for generations and they blame everyone else. Also feeling they must show everyone how well off they are by spending any money they have trying to look better then where they are in the social and economical hierarchy of life. meaning they need name brand clothes, that big screen TV, and a shiny new car...but live in a low rent apartment paying out all of their money every month and just get deeper in debt. Unfortunately they were never taught to save and build wealth, just to look the part.

All of this starts with the parents. They need to: Push their kids to be the best, support them, punish them when they don't do what is expected of them, praise them when they do great, tell them they love them every day, give them a lot of chores and responsibilities, teach them to help others, and push them to be better then they are o matter what level they have achieved. It is a heII of a lot of work, but that is what it takes to raise good productive kids. Some people are just not willing to make the sacrifice.

February 4, 2014 at 9:16 am | Reply
  4. Jane Chiong, Ed.D.

just watching...she's wrong about Asian suicide rates being low:
    In South Korea, suicide is the most common cause of death for those under 40 yrs. According to wikipedia sources (13) "In cases of youth suicide, the most common cause is pressure related to the College Scholastic Ability Test.[13]"

As an Irish/American educator married to a Chinese/Filipino for over 40 years and a teacher of Math with my husband to mostly children of Asian immigrants, I have to admit that weighing it all, American parents would be wise to learn from Asian cultures when it comes to academic matters for their children. However, Asians also need to learn so much from other cultures about other very important matters. All cultures are equal, just not about the same things. But, of course, it depends on whose doing the judging. And all cultures would gain equally by doing some soul searching and learning from each other.

February 4, 2014 at 8:59 am | Reply
  5. Hector

It may fuel racism, but the Asian guy at the ATM is less likely to rob you, and more likely to lose his money at the casino.

February 4, 2014 at 8:51 am | Reply
  6. Steve, New York City

I cannot believe that people are giving this woman (and her husband) an audience. I actually come from one of those "enlightened groups" that she mentions - and her theories are some of the dumbest drivel I have ever heard. She makes no mention about some groups having more fortunate histories than others. People would expect stuff like this from Rush Limbaugh or Glen Beck, but not from two professors who teach law at Yale!

February 4, 2014 at 8:48 am | Reply
  7. Charles Harris

The one thing that fuels success is to (1) not to be raised and live in poverty and (2) to have priviledge such as white priviledge which Asians in America enjoy. The rest of us have to work extremely hard against both elements regardless of ethnicity. Comments based on experience and reality.

February 4, 2014 at 8:46 am | Reply
  8. Vorenus

So is something like the concept of the "Protestant work ethic" now offensive?

There are standards in our mainstream culture which measure success, and the values of certain cultures put greater emphasis on these.

To say success of groups is nothing but chance (and purely because of politics or bias) is self-delusion, and further impedes the success of individuals.

February 4, 2014 at 8:41 am | Reply
  9. Jack Daniels

I'm sick of hearing about this woman. If sacrificing your kid's childhood to make them successful works for you, that's great. Personally, I wouldn't want to have to explain that to their therapist later in life.

February 4, 2014 at 8:37 am | Reply
  10. Jessica

I love how someone gets a law degree and suddenly thinks they are entitled to speak as an expert on any topic they choose. I am an anthropologist and the way this woman throws terms around off handedly clearly without any understanding of their implications, is to say the least off putting. I also found it telling that she feels that by reverting to the defense that her book is full of 'statistics' she is somehow immune from bias...no my dear...statistics can be chosen and twisted to illustrate any idea you desire (no matter how insidious). My hope is that at some point this woman and he objectionably short sighted opinions about what entails success will just go away.

February 4, 2014 at 8:26 am | Reply
  11. Mrs. S

Success doesn't mean you have to be miserable doing what has been forced on you by your parents. Happiness is success!!! Freedom to choose the life you want for you to have is success!!! Money doesn't equal success if you are miserable and working all the time. Asia does have the highest suicide rates in the world...it figures.

February 4, 2014 at 8:08 am | Reply
  12. au

PLEASE STOP GIVING ATTENTION TO THIS RACIST. Stop selling the 'magic' of the Chinese woman. Chinese women are annoying. Seriously.

SHe is a professional whiner. She made a book dissing Philippines where she grew up. Hey Racist woman, if not for Philippines, you wouldn't even be born. You were lucky your parents lived in a westernized country unlike the female fetus killing CHina.

February 4, 2014 at 7:52 am | Reply
  13. deano

Triple package, indeed!

February 4, 2014 at 7:52 am | Reply
  14. drphil5

It is dangerous to believe that one is superior to others.

February 4, 2014 at 6:52 am | Reply