Two Secret Service supervisors on President Barack Obama's protective detail are under investigation for alleged misconduct, a federal law enforcement source with knowledge of the internal Secret Service investigation told CNN's John King.
The details were first reported in the Washington Post Wednesday night.
The investigation began after an incident at the posh Hay-Adams Hotel near the White House in May. As first reported by the Post, one Secret Service agent allegedly removed ammunition from his service weapon and left a bullet in the room of a female guest, whom he had met in the hotel bar.
The agent tried to regain entry to the room when he realized the bullet was left behind, the Post said. Hotel staff notified the White House after he identified himself as a Secret Service agent and demanded to be let in to the room.
No police report was filed and no complaint was filed with the Secret Service by any of the parties involved, a government source told CNN's Joe Johns Thursday.
Ronald Kesller, a former Washington Post reporter who broke the scandal in Colombia, weighed in on "New Day" Friday.
"Well, it shows very poor judgement, misconduct and it raises a question if they have such poor judgement would they be susceptible to an effort by a foreign intelligence service or terrorist to jeopardize the safety of the President or plant bugging devices in the White House ?"
"The Secret Service takes allegations of improper behavior seriously and works diligently to investigate and resolve issues. Any misconduct is regrettable, but when it is identified, appropriate action is always taken based on established rules and regulations," Edwin M. Donovan, deputy assistant director of the Secret Service, said in a statement.
Is Michael Phelps coming out of retirement?
The most decorated Olympian of all time may be gearing up for a fifth go-round at the games, CNN's Nischelle Turner reports.
He reportedly rejoined the U.S. drug testing program, a move that paves the way for him to compete in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.
SEE FULL VIDEO SEGMENT ABOVE
A survey conducted in April shows 59 percent of Americans think that multiple people were involved in some sort of conspiracy to murder President John F. Kennedy.
One man who can shed some new light on this topic is Philip Shenon, a veteran investigative journalist and author of "A Cruel and Shocking Act: The Secret History of the Kennedy Assassination."
The author says this was meant to be an investigation into the Warren Commission but it became much more.
"I kept stumbling onto evidence that had been denied to the Warren Commission, witnesses that had been denied to the Warren Commission, and I discovered that there had been a tremendous amount of evidence that had been destroyed or disappeared over the years. And so I just kept stumbling upon stuff and it became a big book but I hope it's a pretty readable book."
SEE FULL INTERVIEW ABOVE