November 12th, 2013

Did Jimmy Kimmel Skit OK Genocide?

More than 1,000 people gathered to protest outside of ABC's Burbank, California, studios against late-night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel because of a racially insensitive skit that aired last month.

ABC has already issued two public apologies for the  Jimmy Kimmel Live parody in which a child suggested the U.S. “kill everyone in China” to solve its debt problem. The host has also apologized in person to people outside his studio,  CNN's Nischelle Turner  reports.

University Professor Chunyan Li attended rallies over the weekend and weighed in on "New Day" Tuesday.

Li said "As an educator, I'm more concerned than offended. I'm worried about the impact of this discussed on open air. Especially after Mr. Kimmel's second sentence. 'Should we allow the Chinese to live?' ABC has never acknowledged that part."

SEE FULL SEGMENT ABOVE

Posted by
Filed under: Entertainment • News • Videos
  1. GEOFF

I understand your fear. Personally I find the joke terribly distasteful but am far more bothered by the fact that it was created and then chosen as a skit by Kimmel and his co-workers-the very fact that anyone would find it funny is frightening. Most disturbing is that a portion of the American population is ignorant enough to find the skit funny-that there are enough viewers to warrant media coverage and a voice to the Hannity's and Limbaugh's-that to me is most frightening. It is also disheartening that in your interview it was suggested that ABC should apologize for fear of loosing business (viewership) in China. The suggestion that companies should be against racism only because it is bad for business showed just how much your interviewer missed the point. People/companies who make moral decisions solely based upon how those decisions will effect their businesses are not making moral decisions they are making calculated business decisions.

November 22, 2013 at 1:46 am | Reply
    • BiasOrNoBias

You correctly pointed out that ABC apologized because its parent company Disney has business venture in China, so perceived and pushed by many mainstream US media. What's missing is the discussion of moral wrongs of the message itself and the damage to society due generalized acceptance of violence in popular culture.
      Here is the most recent example: http://www.theatlantic.com/china/archive/2013/11/the-banality-of-televised-anti-chinese-racism/281776/

November 22, 2013 at 7:49 pm | Reply
  2. Alan Mi

This is the author of the Dallas Morning News Op-Ed piece published online 11/8 and in print 11/9. Title: Why Asians won’t just move on after genocide joke Please read the Comments below my pieces where I beefed up my presentation. I also summarized the points on my twitter: @AlanMi20030420

November 16, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Reply
  3. Cortney

I watched the interview on CNN.
    I think Dr. Chunyan Li did a great job explaining why the Chinese American community was disturbed to the killing statement from ABC Kimmel show.
    I think Chris Cuomo is very rude in cutting short Dr. Li's talk in saying that discrimination against Chinese isn't news, other groups such as Italian and Irish were discriminated against too, as if saying "it's not big deal that Chinese received discrimination!" Trivializing people's hurt is really a form of microaggression, according to social psychologist Dr. D. Sue, and microaggression is also a type of subtle racism.

November 16, 2013 at 5:40 am | Reply
    • ping li

you and li chun yan are such big idiot! I emailed to CNN and Jimmy Kimmel:

Hi Jimmy,

I am a Chinese/Australian citizen living in Australia. I feel so ashamed with the Chinese protesting your show. Please do not apologize . You did nothing wrong . I thought the show used very creative and intelligent humour and I laughed a lot. I love to watch your show.

The complainants are just horrible Chinese who don’t have a sense of humour . their brain is dead – they really need to learn how to laugh at themselves . I don't see how these Chinese people can expect to live in a free society when they don't attempt to understand the nature of humour in a free society. Perhaps they should return to China.

Ping Li

November 23, 2013 at 1:16 am | Reply
  4. MinH

I have the same concern as Dr. Li, as a mother, me too “worried about the impact of this show” airing on killing. Killing is NOT a joke. I love jokes, I read all kind of jokes and am laughing and happy with them, but this joke, only this joke, made my heart sadden to a dark world. In my life time, I never see any people joking in a similar or close way to this one. Killing is NOT a joke.
    We live in NJ, and have kids studying in Public schools. For many years, I read my kids school material and received good educations of myself. I understand: Respecting others is the fundamental rule for all people to follow; public schools are zero tolerance to any forms of discrimination and bully, no matter they are towards to races or individuals. Words can kill people. You can’t just say “sorry, I didn’t mean it” and walk away after you bully or hurt people. You will have to take the consequence and receive the punishment. While our schools and educators are respecting and decent, Jimmy Kimmel and kids’ table crew are senseless, and heartless, especially when he asked children: Should we allow the Chinese to live? I felt it sounds like Hitler used the same arrogant tone to the Jewish people. This is NOT a joke, this is Racial Hatred! Shouldn’t we take the racial hatred out of the Media, like we have in our public schools?
    Killing is not a solution. We should teach our children and root into their heart and mind that we need to work harder and work smarter to solve our own problems, instead of grabbing from or killing other.
    Did Mr. Kimmel apologize? Yes, he did since he did say “sorry”. No, he didn’t, since he failed to show that he understands what is wrong with him and his show and he did not reflect and regret for what had happened. Did ABC apologize? Yes, they did. Many American Chinese, including myself, were convinced and felt ready to “move on” after we read the ABC’s apology letter on Dec 11. But when I copy/paste the URL of this link to google cache, I saw a total irrelevant contents with the same URL which Google cached the historic screenshot of this page for us. I was shocked to realize that ABC used a previous page template on Nob 8 in its Press Release to hold the apology letter so that it looks like the apology came out on Dec 8, the day before thousands of people were protesting Jimmy Kimmel’ show on streets, in many cities around United States. Did ABC apologize? Yes, they did. But, they owe us an explanation on why they backdated the apology letter? I will keep those screenshots which I made on Google Cache until ABC gave us a reasonable explanation.

November 15, 2013 at 2:05 pm | Reply
  5. BBZ

To Ling: I was a witness about your story happening in a NJ school, and very disappointed that you made up the story just to spread your hatred to your own race. First, the lady who spoke in the cafeteria 10/25 just spoke for herself. At that time, there were not so-called “protest organizers”. After the 10/28 protest, a few protest participators started to form a volunteer group to coordinate the next two protests. Secondly, the argument between the lady and a father was very short, less than a couple minutes. While the father voiced his concerns, many others liked the lady to continue her talk so that they could know more truth about the Kimmel show. Why did you call those few parents “mob”? Does free speech only allow to voice opposition but no support? After the incident, the father never came back to complain it to the school admin, or anywhere else. While you were quiet in the scene that day, you since then went everywhere to spread your hatred to your own neighbors and fellow school parents and to threaten to complain to the BoEd to close the school. If your story was true, why not show your guts and report it to the BoEd or even the police? Thirdly, you said “From a 1st generation Chinese American, how about speaking proper English instead of Chinglish during protests and interviews…”, your parents should shame on you since you so look down your own parents simply because they cannot speak fluent English. Finally, when you deem people protesting the racial hatred speech as joke, you are truly a joke just for Kimmel to make fun of you someday.

November 15, 2013 at 1:39 am | Reply
  6. henry

what would Martin Luther King say if a TV host asks "Should we allow the African American to live" for joking?"

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/chinese-protester-on-jimmy-kimmel-2013-11#ixzz2kgSlDR28

November 14, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Reply
  7. Dona

It's an insult to the reputation of America by showing the attempt to evade paying debt by killing the creditor. American people are honest and trustworthy who never come up with such kinds of awful ideas. But the TV show did! It's the shame of America.

November 14, 2013 at 10:45 pm | Reply
  8. BiasOrNoBias

"Boiling Frog Syndrome" is what Asian/Chinese Americans should be concerned and want to avoid. I am sure any student of recent Jewish history can tell that there was a build period between verbal abuses and gas chambers.

November 14, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Reply
  9. Daniel D

As we exchanged, there is much similarity between Jewish and Chinese on, for example, family values and education of children. It's the shared positiveness of human beings of all races.

Kindness is a born-virtue as we were taught. While my daughter is learning "Try a Little Kindness" by Glenn Campbell at school, we taught her our old sayings that is resonant with the same values. We shall prompt a positive attitude for children and their surroundings:
    " 人之初 性本善
    Men at the birth are naturally kind (good).

性相近 习相远
    Their virtues (natures) are much the same.
    Their habits may become widely different.

苟不教 性乃迁
    Were there is no teaching, they may astray. "

November 14, 2013 at 10:05 pm | Reply
  10. Xinfeng Li

Jimmy Kimmel is such a racist.

November 14, 2013 at 7:32 pm | Reply
  11. WangHua

The joke wasn't about race.
    "kill everyone in china"different meanings of “Kill EveryChinese in China”.or “Kill all Chinese”.
    but Many Chinese media news change to “Kill all Chinese”,to Mislead the Chinese people.

November 14, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Reply
  12. Kuhun

We should never take "killing somebody" as a joke, because it is very offensive and is not funny.

November 14, 2013 at 4:02 pm | Reply
  13. Chinese civil rights movement

I, as a Chinese American, thank Jimmy Kimmel.

Thank you, Mr. Kimmel and Kimmel Live! show producer, without your condescending joke, I wouldn't have realized what a low place we Chinese American have on this land.

Thank you, Mr. Kimmel and Kimmel Live! show producer, without your racist joke, I have almost forgotten the Chinese Exclusion Act.

Thank you, Mr. Kimmel and Kimmel Live! show producer, without your genocide joke, I learned that Vincent Chin was beaten to death because he was mistaken as a Japanese American.

Thank you, Mr. Kimmel and Kimmel Live! show producer, without your heartless joke, I wouldn't have had a chance to read so many anti-Chinese comments on the web.

Thank you, ABC/Disney, without your underhanded backdating of a press release, I wouldn't have learned how unethical ABC/Disney is.

Thank you, Mr. Kimmel. You, on behalf of ABC/Disney, spoke the mind of some Americans while more decent Americans, of different races, can see what is really taking place.

When racism and genocide take place, there is no end until there is only one person left standing on this planet. And I know, if you are the last one standing, you wouldn't survive for long either. Even the joke is anti-Chinese only, racism and genocide are anti-human. Xenophobia is a malicious tumor to the societies.

Thank you, ABC/Disney. You put us, peace-loving people, on guard.

November 14, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Reply
  14. Qian Zhao

This dialog with CNN is great. I appreciate and thank CNN to offer this opportunity. Would ABC do the same? That will be mutual beneficial if they do.

November 14, 2013 at 1:03 pm | Reply
  15. Glen Hubbard

Jimmy Kimmel is promoting racism and genocide through a six-year-old. His is a coward, hiding behind a six-year-old. It's obvious from his attitude that annihilation of Chinese was an interesting idea to him. ABC/Disney is subtly planning the seeds of killing all Chinese. All genocide in history started with propaganda. ABC/Disney surly has a new magic: starting the propaganda via a kid's mouth. ABC's apology issued on November 10, 2013 was backdated to November 8, 2013 using its yet another magic. ABC/Disney is full of magics when it comes to promote racism and genocide.

November 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm | Reply
  16. Chunyan Li

Ling, I am greatly disturbed by your association of my name and actions taken by other individuals that I wasn't aware of. The incidence happened before the 10/28 protest and at that time, there was no such "protest group." I did not know the incidence until you brought it up in another email list. I immediately emailed you and the entire list that I contacted the administration about your concern, not as an organizer, but as a mom. The group was formed on premise of ABC during the 10/28 protest. I am not aware of any public speech to rally support on behalf of this group, on school location. I have also talked to people who were witnesses of that incidence. If the father was indeed "bullied", he could've filed complaints long ago. The protest group is comprised of individuals of different opinions and we just organize posters, bus and other logistics. To use an individual's action to discredit either me or the group is uncalled for. I hereby caution anyone who intentionally associates my name with other individuals. The opinion in my speech and CNN interview was my own.

November 14, 2013 at 11:19 am | Reply
  17. Chunyan Li

Ling, I am greatly disturbed by your association of me and whatever happened in that incidence that I wasn't aware of until you brought it up in another email group. That was for the 10/28 protest and at that time there hadn't even been a so called "protest group." Everyone is an individual and I didn't even know who the person was until afterwards. Later protest group was formed after 10/28 and is comprised of individuals with different opinions and we just organize posters, bus and logistics. I was not aware of any public speech to rally support on behalf of this protest group prior to the 11/8 and 11/9 protests, at the school location. I can publish my own email to you and the entire email list–that I personally contacted the administration to express your concern, not as protest organizer, but as a mom. I do share your concern. I have also talked to many others to find out what indeed happened. If the father was indeed "bullied" as you said, he could've filed complaints long ago. Your subsequent repeated threats of filing complaints have saddened others who aren't even in any protest group. They have been trying to reason with you and all letters were widely circulated. I hereby caution anyone who links my name with actions taken by other individuals. The opinion I expressed in both my speech and on CNN is from myself as a mom and a teacher. Thanks!

November 14, 2013 at 11:04 am | Reply
  18. Lucy

Great Job, Prof. Li!!

America is great, because it promotes justice and fairness, and protects all its people. When one race is alienated and discriminated, there are ways for their voice to be heard, and justice to be achieved.

November 14, 2013 at 10:10 am | Reply
  19. gerdo888

Of course it did. Genocide, racial scapegoating, racial baiting, and worst of all, destroying the education of that kid.

November 14, 2013 at 9:58 am | Reply
  20. Tom

There is no doubt that Jimmy Kimmel was teaching kids violence, genocide, and racism.

November 14, 2013 at 2:42 am | Reply
  21. Frank Walker

can't believe Jimmy Kimmel is such a racialist. I will not teach my children this and ask them to kill people

November 14, 2013 at 1:24 am | Reply
  22. SaveABC

ABC and Disney should just fire Jimmy Kimmel if that's what the Chinese population wanted. Quickest way to not lose more PR.

November 14, 2013 at 1:04 am | Reply
  23. JuAn

As I mentioned earlier in two posts on this issue, THIS IS WRONG. Kimmel and ABC admitted it's wrong, hence came the applogy. That's it? What about I broke your leg and apologize sincerely? Will you get over it and smile away? I bet you would ask me to pay! People have to pay for their mistakes, that's how they learn to be responsible. Chinese people have the same rights to express their feelings freely if they were hurt. This country is for everyone who contributes!

November 14, 2013 at 12:32 am | Reply
  24. LauraLoveKid

Jimmy Kimmel NEVER gave apology to what he has done. He insisted that he only made a joke. He felt sorry because some people don't understand his humor.

ABC has been playing game ALL THE TIME on giving apology. The first time, ABC even didn't mention what event they talked about. The second time, ABC falsified the date of their statement from 11/10 to 11/8, to fool people that they already gave their apology before the big demonstrations around 26 cities on 11/9/2013.

navigation, search

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYP0VNduewo&w=640&h=360]

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZEaDpTlPKQ&w=640&h=360]

Apology is not just some words on the paper. If you cheat on an apology, it is NOT an apology.

November 13, 2013 at 11:17 pm | Reply
  25. H.L.

Some people said it's just a joke, don't be too serious. I want to tell you it is not, because I experienced this in my real life!
    Five years ago, I was playing with my 2yr old niece in a public playground. When she saw a 5-6 year old boy, she was trying to say "hi", while that boy went in front of her and shouted "kill Chinese", OMG! I was really shocked, I cannot understand why a 5-6 kid hate us that much.
    I cannot imagine what US will be if we keep teaching kids this way.

November 13, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Reply
  26. Alex

For all those saying it is just a joke, it is no joke if it offends many people deeply. Arguments aside, I am sure that Disney and ABC are not stupid enough to upset many many Chinese both inside China and outside.

November 13, 2013 at 6:09 pm | Reply
  27. WangHua

Participate in protest of ABC in the United States Chinese people, $ 70 per person / day, +1 free chinesefood, +1 water bottle. This is Flushing, New York market. Expenses paid by the Fujian Association of New York (the Chinese Embassy in the United States to pay, Chinese taxpayers' money).

November 13, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Reply
  28. WangHua

Participate in protest of ABC in the United States Chinese people $ 70 / day, a combined total rice, mineral water bottle. This is Flushing, New York market. Expenses paid by the Fujian Association of New York (the Mausoleum Museum money, Chinese taxpayers' money).(english by google Translate)

November 13, 2013 at 4:29 pm | Reply
    • J Wang

Most protesters are professionals who got connected on the internet. It is the combined effort of Chinese communities all over US. We are US citizens, we love this country, and we fight for the right of being treated fairly and respectably. Genocide is no joking matter. It is a grassroot movement. And it is a lie to say that we are paid to protest. Shame on the liar.

November 14, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Reply
  29. linaphi

Guess what did Hitler do BEFORE he actually started killing people? He made the public believe it is okay to do so. And when that's done, the actual killing is warranted. I'm sure there were lots of racist jokes to get people there. When the comedians joke about racial matter, it is unwise to take it lightly. I think you already KNOW that, you just don't want to apply the same standard to Chinese.

You don't joke about genocide with Jews, you don't joke about slavery with Blacks, because those things happened, and they hurt, a lot. Groups that have historic scars are sensitive.

And this is real. When things like this happen, you get your kids bullied in school by other kids who don't know any better. They see that it's okay to joke about killing this group on TV publicly, then apparently it's okay to bully them, too. That's how kids think. And if they bully Asians growing up, they will bully them later in life, just more subtly. The key here, is to think that it is okay.

November 13, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Reply
  30. Larry Wang

Some posters say it is just a joke. Some say China can do the same thing and it wouldn't bother them. But can you stop for a minute and think: Is this what you want for you, your kids, your family, your community?

"In the U.S., adults and kids with similar IQs discuss on public television killing EVERYONE in China because they are breathing, and faceless audience roll in the aisles fully appreciating every bit of humor in it.
    In retaliation, people in China sing and dance to the idea of killing EVERYONE in the States because they sweat or something."

Is this what you really want?

Most cancers can be treated successfully if diagnosed early. This is what the protest is all about.

November 13, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Reply
  31. Ling

Li and her group of protestors around her home town in northern NJ amongst even Chinese are a walking contradiction and a joke. They worry because they feel the Chinese are being picked on because they are "too nice", they worry about the message to "our children". I call bullshit! One protest organizer in her group was trying to recruit support for demonstration and protest at a local weekend childrens' Chinese School on a loud microphone repeating over and over again "kill Chinese People". She was very passionate and also sounded very angry. Put yourself in the place of a 5 year old in the open cafeteria where this took place who did not know anything about Kimmel until this woman started blasting her message on the microphone. When a Chinese father in the audience voiced that she should stop because there were small children in the room. This woman and her angry mob verbally attacked this father in front of his children. This group has become the bully. Their actions have backfired causing my own son who was at the school to come home and tell his Chinese grandfather that Chinese people are mean and doesn't want to go to Chinese school anymore.
    Kimmel is a comedian he makes fun of all different races, religion, sex, etc. and he does it for ratings. Go visit some comedy clubs, are you going to call out each comedian and protest each of them?
    From a 1st generation Chinese American, how about speaking proper English instead of Chinglish during protests and interviews and giving other comedians more material to make fun of Chinese people.

November 13, 2013 at 6:52 am | Reply
    • chenzi

You are the definition of someone who's bearing internal hatred for your own race and blaming the victim. Yes these people are going about it the wrong way but someone has to say something. Ask yourself, would the public have been cool with it if the subject had been jews instead of Chinese? Then ask yourself why were they cool with it when it was Chinese being targeted? Also local comedians are just bums trying to make a buck with no relevance. Jimmy Kimmel is a nationally recognized figure. His voice is actually heard and can influence tons of people. Never speak bad about a whole race, these people are only trying to prevent us from being persecuted, and although they could have gone about it a different way, someone has to do something about it.

November 13, 2013 at 8:55 am | Reply
    • ch2online2013

You are way too mean and unreasonable! You like kneeling and it's OK. Nobody prohibits you to enjoy that cheap and distasteful "joke". Don't try to pull those who want to stand up.

November 14, 2013 at 11:56 am | Reply
    • a Livingston mom

I'm ashamed of what Ling posted, because that's untrue. She wrote an email to lca_moms group, and Li tried to help her to resolve her concern. I don't understand why now she is pointing fingers to Li.

November 14, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Reply
    • LauraLoveKid

Ling, you gave such a contradictory claim!

You said you can accept Jimmy Kimmel promoted young kids to discuss "kill Chinese People", but you do NOT accept other people to quote JK 's show, because you don't want to hear "kill Chinese People"?

November 14, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Reply
    • Cortney

Even if Jimmy Kimmel is a comedian, he cannot joke about killing everyone in a town, a village, or a country.
      Killing everyone in a village, or a town, or a country, is genocide.
      He does not have that comedian license to kill.
      On the other hand, it's quite odd that that six yr old could blurt out the "kill everyone" proposal, he really did not look like a violent type. I wonder who put those words into his mouth... or did he really have a natural born taste for killing? Or is it the American culture that promotes aggression and violence that can take the credit? Anyway, you can see there are many levels of wrong messages from the kill word: racial hatred, violence, and discrimination against Chinese Americans–believing they are a model minority who are typically hardworking, gentle, and quiet and would say nothing even if someone claims to want to kill them or their cousins in China.

November 16, 2013 at 6:04 am | Reply
  32. Vincent

I got a chance to look at ABC's apologies. They talked about 'apology" but did not mention what the apology was for, and who they apologize to. It's also interesting and actually concerning that most media used the exact the same wording "ABC has already issued two public apologies". ABC, why are you hiding behind this gimmicks and the 6-year-old? Can't u just act as a responsible company?

November 13, 2013 at 2:20 am | Reply
  33. BiasOrNoBias

Why this is more than a joke:
    1. Irresponsible to our young generation by encouraging a clear bloodthirsty way to solve a problem, do we need more school shootings?
    2. A popular culture of hatred toward a group of people does lead to loss of life, case in point: Murder of Vincent Chin, do we need more hate crimes?
    3. Chinese have been subjected to extermination and 20 millions were slaughtered by Japanese during WWII

November 13, 2013 at 2:11 am | Reply
  34. Chub

I would say Chinese also discriminate and criticize other nationalities only thing that we cannot understand their language that's why they can say anything but in reality their are worst and very critical. If we allow them to fire Jimmy Kimmel
    it means that we don't have the freedom of speech anymore and later on we will be control by the communist people which they want to overtake the America.

November 13, 2013 at 2:04 am | Reply
    • chenzi

you know what else started from words? Nazi Germany.... it's a slippery slope.

November 13, 2013 at 8:58 am | Reply
    • ien

Chub,

I am astonished at what you wrote here, if you check the number of immigrant moving into the US of A both legal and illegally. Chinese are far from the top, perhaps one day the nation will get over run by illegal Hispanic before the Chinese can. I find it funny you press on the issue of "Freedom of speech", if JK is the poster child of negative usage of "Freedom of speech", than we have the poster child of positive side of the freedom of speech which the Chinese American are currently exercising their right to speak out their opinion.

Now as for your concern regarding Commy taking over the country. There are two things you have to understand, #1) now all Chinese are commy, #2) out of the Chinese that are lucky enough to move here legally/illegally they are trying to escape commy rules #3) Most of American Job lost are due to Automations and stiff competition from Japan, Korea and German, not the cheaply make crap in China. Ask yourself are you willing to work on socks? or Assembling Cars? #4) please stop blamming everything to China, out of the 10 Trillions debts US goverment has, 1 Trillion went to China, 1 Trillion went to Japan... A LOT went to the JEWS(Banker) and MOST went to US tax payer. (Your retirement fund probably has government bonds in them)

Jimmy Kammel MIS-LED the audience and that child, sure US OWNS China lots of money, but the most MONEY the goverment owns are against its own people.

November 14, 2013 at 2:49 am | Reply
    • LauraLoveKid

If you find anyone broadcast racial hatred, go to stop it, go to protest it. Nobody is allowed to do this. Now Jimmy Kimmel did this, why you don't go to him and comdemn it?

November 14, 2013 at 5:01 pm | Reply
  35. Sgrant

Here is the problem with the "joke" about "Killing all the people in China" and "Should we let the Chinese live?" China was the victim of the worst genocide in modern history, from 1937 to 1945, nearly 20 million ethnic Chinese were exterminated in China and surrounding Asian nations. The Japanese issued Imperial Order 575, Kill All, Burn All, Loot All. One Japanese commander, Yasuji Okamura, killed three million Chinese with his unit alone. Sometimes just digging trenches with bulldozers and burying the Chinese alive. When the Japanese brought down the British forces in Singapore, they rounded up all the Chinese, took them to the beach and shot them, then pushed their bodies into the sea. Kill all the people in China? It's not a new concept. It was tried before. The ignorance of this horrific genocide by the producers of Jimmy Kimmel's show, the executives at ABC and Disney is mind-boggling. They would never have used a segment that jokingly called for "Killing all the Jewish people", yet three times more Chinese were exterminated by the Japanese from 1937-1945 than in all the Concentration camps in Europe during WWII. Making jokes about killing all the people in China, rips open a wound for the survivors and the descendants of the largest genocidal mass murder in modern times. An apology for their ignorance of history should be forthcoming. If anything.

November 13, 2013 at 1:34 am | Reply
  36. notjoke

In this country, you don't joke about the race, religion, homosex, especially the racial genocide one, actually amercians did very well on these, but with one exception: you can joke about chinese, even a genocide one.

November 13, 2013 at 1:14 am | Reply
  37. cathy

jimmy kimmel show is PRE-RECORDED at 4:30 pm pacific time on the same day. If mr. Kimmel thought the kid's comment is not appropriate, he had enough time (4HOURS) to do something before it got aired. Also, what will you do if the kid said "let's kill all Americans?". What will you do? If your child made such suggestion at school, what will you do? if you were a teacher, what will you do? If your teenage child said this at home, what will you do?

November 12, 2013 at 11:30 pm | Reply
    • chenzi

exactly! imagine if he had picked jews for this joke... Since it's Chinese people being targeted so it's all cool now? That is not okay

November 13, 2013 at 8:59 am | Reply
  38. anon

Was Jonathan Swift's suggestion that the Irish eat their own babies an endorsement of genocide? Hint: no. It's called being facetious. Kimmel's skit sounds like it was in the exact same vein. It's not an endorsement of genocide nor "hate speech" if you understand what is actually being said rather than taking the words literally.

November 12, 2013 at 10:32 pm | Reply
  39. bill maher

Well, ABC has never fired a comedian because of his jokes. Oops, i forgot Bill Maher.

November 12, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Reply

40. 'Should we allow Jimmy Kimmel to live?'

November 12, 2013 at 10:03 pm | Reply
  41. Economics

As a Chinese American Citizen I have seen the skit and have read a number of comments and frankly grew up in Brooklyn NY. I am an American and the frustration I have is with all the comments of this being a racial incident. The child in this skit was a child and was most likely being told what to say. What gets me mad is the use of children in a skit with the word killing. If any child of mine used that word he or she would get a month full of soap. The moral fabrication of our society as a whole needs to be openly discussed. When you read in the news everyday about a shooting in a Mall, Theatre, or a School you need to take a step back and realize that the images and the violence are all a result of Children not being taught correctly and from seeing skits like this. I realize this is a late night show, but in todays internet world unfortunately things like this go viral. Other kids who see this will get the wrong message and impression and as adults ABC and Kimmel should have known better. At this point the half hearted apologizes are not sufficing and someone at ABC should be fired. Disney as the parent company of ABC needs to do something to correct this.. The golden rule is the customer is always right and eventually if you alienate your customers they simply will boycott. With a theme park opening in Shanghai next year I would think Disney would want to correct this rather quickly before the fire gets out of control.

November 12, 2013 at 9:21 pm | Reply
  42. Tin Tin

There are actually 3 groups of people targeted in Kimmel's "Should we allow the Chinese to live" segment: Everyone in China (Chinese or not), Chinese outside of China (including Chinese in America, mentioned in the Chinese Foreign Ministry's letter), and oversea Chinese decendents with citizenship other than China. It was mentioned that many Chinese American groups organized the petition to White House and the series of protests. So the Chinese government is asking ABC to apologize sincerely to it's citizens. What about American citizens of Chinese ancestry? What is going on with Chinese American's petition to the White house?

November 12, 2013 at 8:55 pm | Reply
  43. Vincent

No, the majority of Americans won't rally up. Why? Because they're smart enough to not read anymore into a joke that is necessary, especially one intended to be completely and OBVIOUSLY absurd. And no huge war or genocide will begin just because someone watched some late night television talk show and misinterpreted an unserious joke.

Instead, anyone still up-in-arms about this should ask themselves the following question: "AM I GOING TO REMEMBER OR CARE ABOUT THIS IN FIVE YEARS?" If not, then your time is better spent pursuing real issues that will affect people in that time.

November 12, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Reply
  44. Chris

Imagine you're an American living in Middle East. When a Muslim child says on TV "kill everyone in America," would you find it funny?

The truth is, Jimmy Kimmel's segment reflects profound racism, prejudice, and lack of sensitivity throughout the chain of command within ABC. For ABC and Disney to be successful companies in the 21st century, they need to learn from scratch how to treat everyone equally. Jimmy Kimmel needs to learn how to make good jokes without inciting hatred and violence.

November 12, 2013 at 7:51 pm | Reply
  45. Ordinary Citizen

Dear Hitler’s Mustache,

I am writing to let you know that you are being ripped off of Hitler’s face and attached to the upper lips of those who do not wear you well.You have been amateurishly painted on a poster size photo of Late night talk show host Jimmy Kimmel.These small posters have been affixed to wooden sticks and used as a protest prop.You would think that if your services are being utilized that we must be facing some sort of monster in our society, someone who deserves to be stripped of everything they’ve earned and protested into oblivion.Well, in this situation, a child guest star on his show stated that “we should kill everyone in China so we don’t have to repay our debt to the Chinese.”In response Kimmel did something that clearly Hitler would have done too, he…wait for it…he sluffed it off and moved on…gasp!!But you see Mustache, the real problem here is that the people using you in this most inappropriate fashion do not realize that it is THEY who have crossed the line.They are comparing a statement from a small child and Kimmel’s “reaction” to anti-Jewish rhetoric of the Nazi variety.If any of these people had the slightest clue of who and what Hitler was, I can’t imagine that they’d associate you with the nice talk show host. You should be quite offended by their incomprehensible ignorance and insensitivity!I tell you Mustache, I sure am offended, invoking the language and imagery of Adolf Hitler in a severe and overly dramatic reaction to something that was at worst mildly distasteful.There’s even a White House petition with over 100,000 signatures! Those who signed it expect the President of the United States to personally fire Jimmy Kimmel and send him to a concentration camp as punishment for something he’s already apologized for three times. Mustache, you knew him best, what do you think Hitler would say to this if he were here to witness this absurdity?Child’s play.....ah yes, that’s sounds like something he’d say.

Thanks for the Clarification,

Ordinary Citizen

November 12, 2013 at 7:36 pm | Reply
  46. bill maher

well, ABC has never fired a host because of his jokes, until Bill Maher set the precedent. That joke wasn't even about terminating an entire race. What was it for?

November 12, 2013 at 6:42 pm | Reply
  47. Brominator

Somewhere in China, a late night comedian on Chinese TV just asked a 6 year old boy what to they should do about the Americans. The Boy joking said "We could kill em." The comedian said "that's interesting" and later asked the other kids to vote if that's a good idea. My American reaction .... "Meh. Whatever ... let's get some buffalo wings"

November 12, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Reply
  48. Song Ma

Regardless how this be interpreted, Disney the parent company of needs to take some action to avoid damage to its business in China. No one jokes about his killing customers. In fact, the only way we can pay back our debt to China is for Chinese to buy our products and services

November 12, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Reply
    • Mr.Lee

With all the issues going on in our in our world today, is concentrating our efforts protesting a satirical comedy sketch really worth it? Isn't there other things like ... i don't know ... REAL human suffering that should be more at focus?

November 12, 2013 at 5:31 pm | Reply
      • Cortney

rather than focusing on "something ... I don't know", isn't it logical to focus on things we do know, such as the racial discrimination that Asian American community is encountering? With one problem solved, then you can move on the next, such as "something ... I don't know"?

November 16, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
  49. ShameOnABC

Hate speech has never been funny. Ethnic cleansing and genocide are the biggest crimes against humanity. Mr. Kimmel should have known that before. Or should learn the lesson now if his education failed him to learn this before. Mr. Kimmel & ABC must apologize for what they did and pay for the lesson they learned. Of course Mr. Kimmel crossed the line so he should be fired. No one can spread the hate speech with paying the price.

November 12, 2013 at 3:36 pm | Reply
  50. Megan

Asian folks, we must unbunch our panties and take a breath. These are kids babbling about solutions to national problems and is hardly to be taken as a call to arms. It's not serious, it's a joke.

November 12, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Reply
    • Lee Zou

I urge ABC to make another comedy joking about killing whites as a revenge of the Indians.

November 12, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Reply
    • wintpu Toronto

If this is just a joke, then how about Kimmel airing a skit where a kid shouts "kill all Jews" for occupying Palestine? The simple formula is what should the response of ABC and Disney be to show contrition? Meanwhile Kimmel is not really sorry as he asked some protesters to bring it on suing him for he said they will surely lose in a freedom of speech defense by him.

November 12, 2013 at 8:27 pm | Reply
    • Jimmy Law

Megan and Braden,
      Let's flip the script here. Replace "Chinese" with "IRISH". ... "the US should kill all the IRISH people.", "..should we allow the IRISH to live?" . How about we use BLACKS instead. ... "the US should kill all the BLACK people.", Kimmel: "..should we allow the BLACKS to live?". ABC knows better than to say that because there would be riot. We can't be hypocrites and live life with double standards. What's even more distasteful is that ABC (DISNEY) approved children to contribute this type of joke.

November 12, 2013 at 9:40 pm | Reply
  51. linaphi

Many people are forgetting that, this may appear to be an Americans vs Chinese thing, but it's definitely not. It's more complicated than that.

This is a war of boundaries: what can be done publicly to another race and is considered OK. This group happen to be Chinese this time. But it could be any race, in future. The fight of boundaries happened many times, with blacks, with Jews, most recently with gays. This is not about Chinese, this is about us all, how we live with one another.

Being American is an idea, not a birth right. Taking sides based on race/nation is very easy to do, but taking sides based on belief is the right thing to do.

November 12, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Reply
  52. linaphi

This is a war of boundaries: what can be done publicly to another race and is considered OK. This group happen to be Chinese this time. But it could be any race, in future. The fight of boundaries happened many times, with blacks, with Jews, more recently with gays. This is not about Chinese, this is about us, how do we live with one another.

November 12, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Reply
  53. Rick Grimes

A comedian does a skit and everyone gets mad. SHOCKING! You could tell it was a skit. It's just another "Kids say the darnedest things." It's in the context of jokes. This country is doomed. I wish there was somewhere else better to move because I would. This is just the least sh**y place to live.

November 12, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  54. John

As requested by the majority of protestors, Jimmy Kimmel should be fired and ABC issue formal and official appologies which should be acceptable to majority of protestors. The "appologies" faked before are very offencive and humulating to Chinese people rather than appology.

November 12, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Reply
  55. alexs

JK will be remembered a person that furthers galvanizes the cause of Chinese Americans struggle for equality and respect
    Now we know that the respect and your place have not and will never be handed to you on a silver platter by a president, democrats, republicans, bloggers, reporters or anyone else, the respect and equal standing have been earned by the Blacks with blood, and others with their ways, but we are more fortunate and only need to be earned by by mobilization, civility, votes, voices, boycotts and protests. You have to show that you deserve your place and respect.
    Stand up, Keep it up, Make your voice heard!

November 12, 2013 at 1:46 pm | Reply
  56. Braden

Jesus people learn to take a joke!

November 12, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Reply
    • k.li

"Joke" about a bomb in an airport then...

November 12, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Reply
  57. LauraLoveKid

Anyone knows the story "ABC has already issued two public apologies "?

In the first so-called appology, ABC even didn't mention what is the event they had this "apology". When you read this letter, you can NEVER know what ABC was talking about.

There were demonstrations here and there after this Kid's Table was aired. Until 11/19/2013, 26 cities joined together to have demonstrations ALTOGETHER. ABC prepared a letter in a rush after this. Guess what happened? ABC falsified the date of this letter to be 11/8/2013 and made it look it was posted before the big demonstration.

You can check this video http://youtu.be/tZEaDpTlPKQ to see how ABC cheats on and fools people.

Do you thik it is a REALY apology based on lie?

November 12, 2013 at 11:42 am | Reply
  58. David

How else can a statement "Kill all Chinese" be interpreted?

Yes, IT IS AN ENCOURAGEMENT OF GENOCIDE!

I suggest all good Americans rally around not allowing such statements be condones by politicians and entertainers that work in the media to formulate a public conscience.

We have had to much GENOCIDE and discrimination in the world. It is not a joke.

If were not the Jewish people, the Chinese, Africans-Americans, others based on religion or sexual preferences ... where do these statements of hate and discrimination stop.

They need to stop NOW! Americans speak up against these public statements of HATE/GENOCIDE against a minority!!!

November 12, 2013 at 11:16 am | Reply
    • PRAFT

Considering 99% of all comedy involves hurting others, making fun of others, and making light of dark situations; yeah you are overreacting.

God, if comedies aren't allowed to make jokes, regardless of how distasteful, the future of comedy is looking extremely bleak.

I mean, hell, freedom of speech people, learn to not get so offended over the little things.

November 12, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Reply
      • Matthew

You and your family shall go to HELL!!!
        .......
        .......
        I am just kidding.
        ......
        ......
        Well...it is my FREEDOM OF SPEECH!

November 14, 2013 at 11:52 am |
      • LauraLoveKid

You are such a DIRTY LIAR! People, who went to the demostration, are all their own decision. We went, because we are against racialist, against schoolt shooting, against discrimiatino.

Give us your proof how those people earned that $ 70 per person / day. Whoever lied, should go to the hell and stay there FOREVER!

November 14, 2013 at 4:41 pm |
      • Cortney

How about a joke (or a death threat in the guise of joke) at the cost of PRAFT?
        Just imagine Jimmy Kimmel asking you: "Shall we allow PRAFT to live?" and kids give a mixed answer of no and yes, after one 6 year old proposes to kill everyone with your name. Yeah, let us all enjoy that funny joke!

November 16, 2013 at 7:46 pm |
    • Gen Patton

How else? As a joke. Thats how it sounds and looks to me. To you obviously not. Isn't America great!

November 13, 2013 at 11:25 am | Reply