CBS correspondent Lara Logan apologized Friday and said the network was "wrong" for a "60 Minutes" report that raised questions about the Obama administration's response to last year's attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya. The assault left four Americans dead, including Ambassador Christopher Stevens.
"In this case, we were wrong. We made a mistake," she said on "CBS This Morning." "That's disappointing for any journalist. It's very disappointing for me."
A primary source for the "60 Minutes" report on October 27 was a security contractor using the pseudonym "Morgan Jones," later identified as Dylan Davies. Davies told CBS he was able to reach the Benghazi compound on the night of September 11, 2012, scale a wall and even fight off a militant.
That story cast doubt on whether the Obama administration sent all possible help to try to save Stevens and his three colleagues. The "60 Minutes" story was cited by congressional Republicans who have demanded to know why a military rescue was not attempted.
Joe Concha, Columnist for Mediaite praised Logan on "New Day" Friday. Concha said:
"That was awesome. That is exactly what every news organization should do. 'We made a mistake, it was fog of war, we trusted a source, and we're sorry.' And this is why '60 Minutes' has been on the air for 45 years and it's a top 10 show – because they make mistakes, they own up to it."
SEE FULL VIDEO ABOVE