Despite the call for him to step aside after he publicly admitted Tuesday using crack cocaine, Toronto Mayor Rob Ford said he will not step down and will run for re-election next year, CNN's Paula Newton reports.
"I was elected to do a job and that is exactly what I am going to continue doing," he said during a news conference Tuesday at his office. "We live in a democracy and on October 27, 2014, I want the people of this great city to decide if they want Rob Ford to be their mayor."
Earlier Tuesday, after months of dodging allegations, Ford told reporters that he smoked crack cocaine about a year ago - probably, he said, during a "drunken stupor."
"Yes, I have smoked crack cocaine. But ... do I? Am I an addict? No," Ford said.
"Probably in one of my drunken stupors, probably approximately about a year ago," he said about the cocaine use.
Ford said later that he knew he had embarrassed everyone in the city and "I will be forever sorry."
He promised the people of Canada's largest city that his mistakes will "never ever, ever happen again."
Pressure on Ford, 44, increased last week when Toronto's police chief announced investigators recovered a video of the mayor that purportedly shows him smoking a crack pipe. That followed allegations in two media reports in May that a video showed Ford using crack cocaine last winter.
Dwivedi believes that motion has a chance to pass.
“I would say the word inside Council and around City Hall is that there is a lot of support for this movement,” Dwivedi says. “How can anybody realistically get anything done when the mayor admitted to smoking crack cocaine?”