October 15th, 2013
11:50 AM ET

Small Town, Big Questions In Missouri Rape Case

It was supposed to be the beginning of a new life.

Melinda Coleman and her four children moved to the small town of Maryville, Missouri, to start fresh after her husband and the children's father died in a car accident.

But their move to Maryville turned into a nightmare early on January 8, 2012.

Coleman's daughter Daisy, then 14 and a high school freshman, was hosting a sleepover with a girlfriend at the Colemans' home. They were drinking alcohol, according to a report from the Nodaway County Sheriff's Office.

Daisy had been texting with a football player, a senior, who was then 17. They decided to meet up.

"We snuck into his house through his basement window, and I went to go sit on the couch, and he gave me a big glass of a clear liquid. And that's all I remember," the teenager said Monday on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

The next morning, Daisy was found outside her front door with no shoes, socks or coat despite the below-freezing temperatures. Her mother found her.

"There was frost on the ground, and it was about 22 degrees. So we initially got her inside the house, and tried to warm her up and at that point, I couldn't figure out what had happened," said Coleman, who spoke alongside her daughter.

"It wasn't until I undressed her to put her in a warm tub that I realized that maybe she had been sexually assaulted. So I asked her if she was hurting, and she said yes, and started to cry," she said.

CNN does not typically identify possible victims of sexual assault, but Daisy and her mother chose to go public.

The football player was arrested and charged with sexual assault. His friend was also charged with recording at least a part of the incident on an iPhone.

About two months after the alleged attack, the charges were dropped.

CNN's Michaela Pereira asked Melinda Coleman, Daisy's mother, on "New Day" Tuesday about the fact that the sheriff says officials were ready to prosecute but the woman declined to cooperate with authorities.

Coleman replies, "That's absolutely not true and it still kind of just shocks me that they're lying about it... I don't know how he can say on one hand I was bugging him every day and it was like Groundhog Day because I wouldn't leave him alone, and then on the other hand he's saying I didn't cooperate and wouldn't talk to him. It doesn't even make sense."


Posted by
Filed under: News • Videos
soundoff (No Responses)

Post a comment


CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.