Welcome to the Tuesday edition of “5 Things to Know for Your New Day."
Every weekday morning around 6, we’ll hit the top five stories of the day, clue you in on a few other buzzy items, and let you know about some of the must-watch stories coming up on CNN’s new morning show, “New Day.”
1. ASIANA AIRLINES CRASH
Shock and survival: The three Jang children couldn't wait to get off the plane after 10 long hours. But then the seats in front of them collapsed on their knees. Luggage went everywhere. The helplessness and horror of a plane crash is a story few live to tell. But this morning, we hear from the kids in a CNN exclusive from Sara Sidner.
Watch the full interview with Esther, Joseph and Sarah Jang on New Day at 6, 7 or 8.
2. EGYPT COUP
Decree and doubt: I am giving up many of my powers. That's the message from Egypt's interim president Adly Mansour. He also said there'll be elections in about six months. That's great news for those who wanted Morsy ousted. But it's hardly going to appease the Muslim Brotherhood members. Yesterday, clashes between them and troops killed 51 - the deadliest day of the unrest. Will today bring more of the same?
Reza Sayah will have the latest on the growing tension in the Arab world’s most populous nation at 6 and 7.
3. ZIMMERMAN TRIAL
He wasn't packing a punch: After a year of boxing training, all George Zimmerman knew how to do was throw a short punch, and he wasn’t even good at that. A friend who trained Zimmerman told the jury that the former neighborhood watch leader was a big guy, but “soft, just physically soft.” That's from testimony we heard yesterday.
We also heard from Trayvon's father who said the voice on the 911 tape was his son's. Other witnesses said, no, that was Zimmerman screaming. Comedienne Roseanne Barr has a great idea:
Zimmerman should re create the scream if it's his voice. Proof, 4jury
— Roseanne Barr (@TheRealRoseanne) July 9, 2013
An attorney for the Martin family, Daryl Parks, will join us at 8. HLN’s Vinnie Politan will give us his analysis of the trial during the 7 o’clock hour.
4. BIN LADEN REPORT
Doting grandpa, paranoid terrorist: Who'd have thought bin Laden was living a life even weirder than Breaking Bad's Walter White? But thanks to a leaked report, we know some really fascinating bits about the world's most wanted terrorist's very ordinary days. He'd garden while wearing a cowboy hat. (We'll pause for a bit, while you picture that.) He also held vegetable growing contests for his kids and grandkids. They needed to be entertained somehow, since TV and the Internet were a no-no for them. And he once shaved his beard off. (We'll pause again. Go ahead, conjure up that visual.)
So Bin Laden's main anti-detection steps were wearing a cowboy hat and shaving his beard. Maybe he just wanted to freshen up his look.
— Samira Shackle (@samirashackle) July 9, 2013
5. AFGHANISTAN TROOP WITHDRAWAL
Obama's had it?: Apparently, Afghanistan's Karzai dissed him one too many times. This morning, we learned that Obama's thinking of pulling all troops out of Afghanistan next year. Before, the U.S. and the Afghans were talking about maybe keeping a small number of troops to train Afghan forces. But looks like that number may be zero, a White House source tells CNN.
Those are your five biggies for the day. Here are a couple of others that are brewing and have the Internet buzzing.
- "Strong enough to walk through hell": Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight want to tell everyone they're doing OK. In a video posted on YouTube, the three Cleveland women who were missing for a decade just wanted to say thanks for the support. Oh, and the fact that everyone had (surprisingly) left them alone, keep that up.
- Pat being Pat: TV evangelist Pat Robertson has done it again. Just a couple of months after he seemed to condone men cheating on their wives, he's caused a tizzy on social media by suggesting a novel idea for Facebook: A 'Vomit' button, so he can click that whenever he sees pictures of a gay couple kissing. <SMH>
- Coach, move your feet: Jets coach Rex Ryan is better at avoiding bulls than he is Bills. The New York skipper went to Spain on vacation and donned the cute white outfit with red sashes and ran down the streets of Pamplona. We’re sure the video of this event will never, ever be shown in summer camp when the Jets get back together. At least he did a better job avoiding a hit than he did against the Buffalo Bills last season.
Taking offseason training to a new level…Coach Ryan ran with the bulls while in Spain. http://t.co/k5EEknjv0q
— New York Jets (@nyjets) July 8, 2013
- Don't make momma mad: Some men in Sumatra were checking their traps when they discovered they had killed a tiger cub. Then the adult tigers discovered the men. Then the men discovered a tree, but one of the six was caught by the tigers. The five remaining hunters called on their cellphones for help but it was five days before the tigers were scared away.
- In lieu of flowers: 12. 11. 11. 12. 11. That’s the number of losses for the Cleveland Browns the past five seasons. They had another loss recently. A diehard fan of the team, a season-ticket holder who died on July 4th, asked in his online obituary for six players from the team to be his pallbearers so that they can “let him down one more time.” Not an original joke, but still funny - especially in an actual obit. A CNN affiliate reports the team will present his widow with a replica jersey bearing his favorite player’s number.
@darrenrovell Obituary:"Man requests 6 Cleveland Browns pall bearers so the Browns can let him down one last time." pic.twitter.com/A792VZVMS0
— Matt Kill (@mkill2) July 8, 2013
There you go. All you need to know to get an early start to your morning.
Be sure to tune in to "New Day," from 6 a.m. to 9 a.m. ET, join us at CNN.com/NewDay and go and have a GREAT NEW DAY
Roseanne Barr??? That has-been just wants her fame back. She has absolutely nothing of any value to add to this or any other situation. Recreate a scream made unexpectedly and under extreme duress? Wow, that's SO . . . brilliant!! Would she have dated to suggest that if it were Trayvon on trial for killing Zimmerman? Of course not. Hypocrite.
Im with Pat Robertson on his comment. Yes, Im all for the vomit button on the gay pride pics and all that. If you don't like my thoughts/views, don't say youre all tolerant. I have the freedom to my view as well.
This is news, but not a single mention about the IRS posting 100K SSN of 527s on a public access webpage?!
Why is the opinion of a comic treated as news? why is any opinion in the NEWS section? Just the facts please.
CNN...the IRS published thousands of SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBERS ONLINE.....is this not important news??????Are you covering up for them?????
What happened to media presenting fact and leaving opinions to the editorial pages? "Comedienne Roseanne Barr has a great idea", first and last time those words should ever appear together. Have you ever made a sound out of shock, surprise, fear or just in reaction to something and then tried to re-create it? It is often impossible to do. This is part of the reason the "experts" are not being allowed to testify in this case, because it is unreliable and at least one FBI expert has testified you can not determine the age of a person from a scream on a recording because a situation where a man feels threatened he can sound like a boy or when a boy is being aggressive can sound like a man. All that Roseanne's "great idea" would prove is that sh, like many have already determined what they believe and no matter what the evidence says or doesn't say they will not be swayed, but hey keep reporting the "news", it's what you are good at.
THANK YOU John for your excellent point! That was such inappropriate wording to include in the story.
I don't care who supports Zimmerman or wants him convicted but could you at least make sure your so-called legal experts are as objective as they claim to be. Your 'former US Attorney" is as biased as they come. She is no longer prosecuting....maybe a good thing.