February 24th, 2014
01:51 PM ET

Man Dies, Dozens Hospitalized after Carbon Monoxide Leak at New York Mall

A restaurant manager died and one of his employees remained hospitalized after inhaling carbon monoxide at a Long Island mall, authorities said Sunday.

Another 26 people were treated and released after the incident, according to hospitals.

Police and emergency crews rushed to Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station, New York, on Saturday night after reports that a woman had collapsed in the basement of Legal Sea Foods. Once they arrived, they felt dizzy as well and determined that the cause was carbon monoxide poisoning, said police in Suffolk County, New York.

"Police evacuated the restaurant and found the manager, Steven Nelson, 55, of Copiague, unconscious in the basement," a statement said. "He was transported to Huntington Hospital where he was pronounced dead."

A sign on the restaurant's door Sunday said the building has been condemned as being unsafe and unfit for human habitation.

MORE.

Posted by , ,
Filed under: News • Videos
December 16th, 2013
11:47 AM ET

Snow Slows Holiday Shopping

An arctic chill is blasting the Northeast.

This weather comes on the heels of the thousand mile storm that socked states from Kansas to Maine, where temperatures have been stuck below freezing, reports CNN's Alexandra Field.

But the consequences of this storm may have a wider impact than just slowing down your day.

In the middle of the holiday shopping season, FedEx says winter weather and high winds have caused major disruptions at the company's Memphis, Tennessee, hub that could delay shipments across the United States.

And  a week before Christmas, the mix of snow, sleet , and ice was fierce enough to stop most shoppers  during one of the busiest shopping weekends of the year.

Posted by
Filed under: News • Videos • Weather