Facing anger from families of Flight 370 passengers, Malaysia's Prime Minister said Thursday his government will release its preliminary report on the plane's disappearance.
In a TV exclusive, Najib Razak told CNN the report will be available to the public next week.
"I have directed an internal investigation team of experts to look at the report, and there is a likelihood that next week we could release the report," Najib said. Later in the interview with CNN aviation correspondent Richard Quest, he gave a more definitive statement, saying the report will be released next week.
Najib also discussed why he is not yet officially declaring the flight - and the 239 people on board - lost.
The report has already been sent to the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), the U.N. body for global aviation, but not made available to the public.
The ICAO told CNN about a safety recommendation in the report: Malaysia said the aviation world needs to look at real-time tracking of commercial aircraft. It's the same recommendation that was made after the Air France Flight 447 disaster in 2009.
Earlier Thursday, the partner of one of the passengers accused Malaysian authorities of seeming "to be choosing to treat us as if we are the enemy as opposed to an interested party in helping to solve this mystery."
"We need a fresh start here," Sarah Bajc, partner of passenger Philip Wood, said on CNN's "New Day."
"We've been sitting on opposite sides of the table. They have a briefing, they tell us what they know and we ask them questions. That's just kind of broken. I think we need to start from scratch and sit down and have a positive dialogue."
Families don't "necessarily believe" that the Malaysian authorities are "withholding any new information other than the facts that we've already asked for," she added.
A committee representing some of the Chinese families have posted 26 questions on the Chinese social media site Weibo.
Usually, such reports to the ICAO are public, Quest says.
"In most cases, the report is published because it's not a controversial document," he said. "It's a statement of facts - what happened. And if there are any controversial or difficult facts, they can be redacted."
Malaysia has insisted it has nothing to hide and is working to find answers.
MORE on CNN.com
To set foot on Mount Everest is to risk death. Mountaineering tourists and their native Nepali guides both have this on their minds, as they straddle cavernous ravines in the ice.
But nothing could have prepared American climber Jon Reiter for last week's avalanche, the deadliest accident in the history of the world's highest peak.
"We've all seen death on the mountains," he told CNN. But to see so many limp bodies hanging from cables as helicopters brought them down the mountain shocked him.
Reiter was one of the fortunate ones. His Sherpa guide Dawa shoved him behind an ice block, when the icy avalanche thundered down, killing 13 Sherpa guides Friday.
Three more Sherpas are missing and feared dead. Buddhist clergy commended all 16 souls Monday in a religious ceremony.
The search for those still missing has been suspended and it is doubtful it will resume, Nepalese officials said.
MORE on CNN.com.
An "object of interest" in the search for missing Malaysian Airlines plane has been recovered on the coast of Western Australia, several hours drive south of Perth, officials said.
Australian Transport Safety Bureau Chief Commissioner Martin Dolan described the object as appearing to be sheet metal with rivets.
"It's sufficiently interesting for us to take a look at the photographs," he said.
But Dolan also added strong words of caution: "The more we look at it, the less excited we get."
The object was picked up near Augusta, some 300 kilometers (186 miles) south of Perth, a source with the Australian Defence Force told CNN.
The source also described the object as having rivets on one side with what appears to be a fiberglass coating.
When asked about the shape and scale of the object, the source described it as "kind of rectangular," but torn and misshapen.
The source said it was too difficult to estimate the size because they had only seen one photo with no clear scale.
The object of interest is in the custody of a police agency in Western Australia. Authorities there wouldn't comment further because it's a federal investigation.
The photos have been passed along to Malaysian investigators, and the Australian safety bureau was examining them to assess how to proceed.
MORE on CNN.com.
Officials call the attack "massive and unprecedented."
At least 65 suspected terrorists killed. Assaults from both the ground and the sky. And elite, clandestine U.S. forces joining Yemeni commandos in targeting al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula - considered al Qaeda's most dangerous affiliate.
But what would make the raid in southern Yemen most significant is if it yielded a target the Americans and the Yemenis have been looking for: Ibrahim al-Asiri, the group's chief bomb maker.
Al-Asiri is among those suspected to have been killed in the Sunday firefight, a high-level Yemeni government official told CNN. But DNA test results are not due for several days.
See the latest on "New Day" at 6am ET and get MORE on CNN.com.