South Korean President Park Geun-hye on Monday likened the actions of the captain and some crew members of the sunken ferry Sewol to murder, as police made more arrests and divers continued searching the submerged vessel.
The captain of the South Korean ship, Lee Joon-seok, is already facing a series of criminal charges for his role in last week's sinking, in which at least 64 people have died and 238 others remain missing. Many of them are students and teachers on a field trip from a high school near Seoul.
"The actions of the captain and some of the crew are absolutely unacceptable, unforgivable actions that are akin to murder," Park said Monday in comments released by her office. She said she and other South Koreans were filled with "rage and horror."
Her strong words come after more details emerged over the weekend about the chaos and confusion aboard the doomed ferry as the disaster unfolded in the cold waters of the Yellow Sea off South Korea's southwest coast.
A radio transcript released by authorities suggested that passengers on the ship couldn't reach lifeboats to escape because the ship tilted so quickly that it left many of them unable to move.
For the latest developments, watch "New Day" on CNN at 6am ET.
MORE on CNN.com
As rescuers take on the daunting task of finding survivors, family members of the missing passengers are pinning slim hopes on floundering air pockets in the capsized South Korean ferry.
They know the odds aren't in their favor, particularly after the entire ferry went underwater Friday. But they point to one especially miraculous tale of survival for their reason for not giving up.
In May 2013, a tug boat carrying a 12-person crew capsized off the coast of Nigeria. Two divers sent to recover the bodies assumed everyone aboard had died. After all, the boat was about 100 feet down under the Atlantic Ocean.
Bruno Serato, a 2011 CNN Hero, reaches a milestone in his unique efforts to care for hungry kids in Orange County, CA.
Nominate someone you think should be the next CNN Hero HERE.
Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's much anticipated next memoir will be titled "Hard Choices," the book's publisher announced Friday.
The memoir will be Clinton's "inside account of the crises, choices, and challenges that she faced during her four years as America’s 67th Secretary of State, and how those experiences drive her view of the future," according to a release from Simon & Schuster, the book's publisher.
The 688-page book is an important one for Clinton – the overwhelming favorite to win the 2016 Democratic presidential nomination should she run. Critics have charged that her time as America's top diplomat was marked by no crowning achievement, while Clinton confidants have looked to frame those years as a success and see the book as the most potent way to showcase her achievements.
The publisher, who announced last week that the memoir would be available on June 10, 2014, also revealed the book's cover photo on Friday: A close up, black and white portrait of a smiling Clinton.
The book's release will also be coordinated with a summer book tour for the former senator and first lady.