May 27th, 2014
04:11 AM ET

White House Outs CIA Official by Mistake

The White House accidentally revealed the name of the CIA's top intelligence official in Afghanistan to some 6,000 journalists.

The person was included on a list of people attending a military briefing for President Barack Obama during his surprise visit to Bagram Airfield in Afghanistan on Sunday.

It's common for such lists to be given to the media, but names of intelligence officials are rarely provided. In this case, the individual's name was listed next to the title, "Chief of Station."

The print pool reporter - a journalist allowed access to or is given information about an event who relays it to the rest of the media - copied and pasted the list that was provided by the White House.

Print pool reports are then distributed by the White House press office, which does not edit them, to a large list of media.

In this case, the same reporter, Scott Wilson, the White House bureau chief for the Washington Post, noticed the unusual entry after the list was distributed and then checked it out with officials. The White House followed up and distributed a shorter list from a different reporter that did not include the station chief's name.

In his account to CNN, Wilson said when they arrived in Afghanistan, he asked White House officials for a list of who would be briefing the President.

A White House official then asked the military for a list to provide to the pool of journalists. The official got an e-mail back from the military with a subject line, "manifest for briefing for Pool," Wilson told CNN. That e-mail was forwarded to Wilson and he proceeded to copy and paste that list for the pool report. He then sent it to the White House official, who sent the report to the distribution list.

After the initial report had been issued, Wilson noticed that the chief of station had been identified in the list, which he flagged to the White House official. After checking with the military, the White House official said, "This is a problem."

MORE on CNN.com

Posted by
Filed under: News • Videos
soundoff (2 Responses)
  1. Bill Wallace

    It seems the military released the info first so why is that the White House's fault? You're not Fox News yet, but gaining.

    May 27, 2014 at 9:14 am | Reply
    • Bobby

      It is the White House's fault as they (the White House) were supposed to censor sections before handing it off to the Press Office for distribution (the Press Office cannot edit documents, but other groups are tasked to do so), which they forgot to do. The military provided the White House with a full list as that's what the White House requested (so they can see all those in attendance) but once again, they forgot to edit out the names before anding it off to the Press Office for distribution.

      May 27, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Reply

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.