May 9th, 2014

Should the Benham Brothers Have Lost Their HGTV Show Over Their Remarks?

The twin brothers who lost their HGTV show after a recording surfaced of one's anti-homosexuality views are surprisingly not upset at the network that fired them.

Their beef is not with HGTV, but with the gay "agenda" that "bullied" the network, Jason and David Benham told CNN's "New Day" on Friday.

"I feel they got bullied," David Benham said. "There's an agenda that's out in America right now that demands silence, especially from men and women who profess Jesus Christ and hold to his standards."

Their dismissal from the show they were scheduled to host added fuel to the debate over people losing their jobs for what they say about their personal lives.

It's not a free speech issue, as both sides mostly agree that people have the right to say what they want, but a question of how severe the consequences for unpopular positions should be.

HGTV was within its rights to let the Benham brothers go, but maybe it shouldn't have, Ellis Henican, a Newsday columnist, told "New Day."

"Do they have a legal right? Yes. Should we be cheering it? No, we should not. We ought to be big enough people that we can see people we don't agree with, let them fix their houses, help the nice people. What are we scared of?" Henican said.

The brothers ran afoul of the network after the site Right Wing Watch published a post about the pair, labeling David Benham as an "anti-gay, anti-choice extremist" for reportedly leading a prayer rally in 2012 outside of the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The site posted a recording of Benham talking to a talk show host about "homosexuality and its agenda that is attacking the nation" and "demonic ideologies" taking hold in colleges and public schools.

Benham also discusses the fight for North Carolina's Amendment One, which involved a ban on same-sex marriage and civil unions in the state constitution.

The Benham brothers were the planned stars of the HGTV show "Flip It Forward," set to premiere in October, in which they would have helped families purchase homes they otherwise could not afford.

"When the firestorm came in, we had an opportunity to speak with HG and the folks over there and explain to them who we were as people," Jason Benham said. "We sell to all people of all kinds, and that we would be glad to take a homosexual couple onto our show."

MORE on CNN.com

Posted by ,
Filed under: Interview • News
  1. Linda Hoover

Interesting discussion. I thought Jill had a good response too, Trace. I would like to add that I am a Christian. I believe the Bible and the Bible is very clear on this in several places. Here's the one Phil Robertson was quoting, "...do you know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? (then there's this list of sinners: the sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, men who have sex with men, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, slanderers and swindlers.) This scripture ends as it began with the statement that none of these will inherit the kingdom of God. I Cor. 6:9-10 I wanted to quote that one in particular because Bill O'Reilly was pretty hard on Phil for saying these people would not go to heaven, but Phil was just quoting what the Bible says.

May 15, 2014 at 8:38 am | Reply
  2. Ann

I believe HGTV also got bullied too and shouldn't have pulled their show. I'm from San Francisco and believe in FREE SPEECH for ALL gays, Christians, all faiths. This is America remember? We should not allow our beliefs to silence us. I would have watched their show no matter what their belief.

May 10, 2014 at 3:02 pm | Reply
    • Mark Smith

You do not have a right to a tv show or employment in this country. I also believe in free speech, the government can not censor your speech. This is not government censorship. HGTV sells a product, their tv shows have huge LGBT followings: this is a market based decision. Does a Neo Nazi have a right to a show?

May 14, 2014 at 1:01 pm | Reply
  3. Johnny Malvado

Seems to me if your religion demands you be a bigot, then your religion is a hate group and should be outlawed. I don't care what the Bible says about it, the bible is just a book and nothing in it is real, so you're no better than somebody that hates Christians because they misinterpreted a line in a Harry Potter book:/

May 10, 2014 at 4:02 am | Reply
  4. brandonx49

Being gay is a fact and a natural occurrence.. believing in a supernatural magic man in the sky who listens to your thoughts is delusional..

May 9, 2014 at 5:50 pm | Reply
  5. Roxanne Pennock

Speaking as a bisexual woman I don't believe that these 2 should have lost their jobs .. They have the right to believe whatever they choose to believe ... Don't question someone's faith .. Whatever it may be .. It's not your business ... They hold those beliefs very dear to them .. People need to remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion and even though They don't have to like it .. they do have to deal with it ... Everyone can exercise a more tolerant attitude ... Straights ... Gays ... Bi... Etc... Now that being said I don't think a decorating channel is the most receptive forum for these views ... But hey... Tomato ... Tomahto...

May 9, 2014 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  6. pat vignjevic

keep fighting , the gay s know god hates their sin but they keep pushing this is the devil at work .

May 9, 2014 at 1:17 pm | Reply
  7. Mary Schinnerer

Not knowing the Bentham brothers' beliefs and as long as they remained private while on camera I probably would have watched their HGTV show. Not sure knowing this information that I would watch it if it should be aired. Their Christian belief does not reflect that which I was taught at church or at home, and I have never supported such "twists" within the Christian teachings. I support HGTV decision, but wish those who brought the information forward would have left it rest so that the Benthams could have had their time to show their skills of the trade.

May 9, 2014 at 9:03 am | Reply
  8. Laura Rivera-Ramirez

The Holy Scriptures point out that homosexuality is an aberration before the Lord's eyes. Secondly, since the gay movement started decades ago life is worst in the world. Thirdly, did you read the catastrophic changes the climate change is bringing to the world? Well it is call the Lord's Wrath. Fourthly, that their brain is different so ok to be gay.Well, people with other mental illnesses have different brains.Much more can be said but basically homosexuality and their satanic agenda have and will destroy us all. The Lord have mercy on all of us!!!

May 9, 2014 at 8:42 am | Reply
    • pat vignjevic

AMEN LAURA

May 9, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  9. Anna

Those twins have a mean spirited look in their eyes anyway. Good for HGTV to drop them.

May 9, 2014 at 7:30 am | Reply
  10. Chuck Anziulewicz

I just watched in the interview with Benham Twins. First of all, their claim that the views of Christians were being "silenced" is BS, since many Gay people ARE Christian, and many Christian churches support equality for Gay Americans. And when they talk about the sinister "Gay Agenda," they never detail what that "agenda" is. Well, Straight people have never had to worry about being fired from their jobs, kicked out of their rental properties, turned away from businesses, or denied the right to marry the person they love just because of THEIR sexual orientation. I don't think it's asking too much that Gay people shouldn't have to worry about these things either. THAT'S what the "Gay Agenda" is.

May 9, 2014 at 7:03 am | Reply
    • Ducktajh

I understand what your say and it is true, but I think discrimination is the real problem. I am a Christian and I don't believe that homosexuality is right in the eyes of God. Yet I have gay friends and my best friend is also gay, very interesting coming out story that one, but anyway. I dont have to agree with all your lifestyle practices. Nor do I have to shove my disagreeing down your throat. My best friend knows my stance yet he and the rest of my friends who are gay know that I love dont love them any less nor do I treat them differently. I have seen friendships end due to disagreements about wether star trek was better than star wars or not. Either way its stupid to let difference separate us especially when there is so much more to a person than their sexual orientation. Hope I didn't offend anyone it was never my intention🙂

May 9, 2014 at 7:51 am | Reply
    • Jill

I can tell you what the agenda is: "If don't believe what I believe than you are a homophobic and hate gays." Seriously, that's how it comes across. If your not 'pro gay' then you are hateful and discriminatory. It's ABSOLUTELY bunk. I'll prove it... Do you support polygamy? I don't, I do not think it should be legal and I am against it. YET, here we are with the show Sister Wives on TLC which is all about a polygamist family. I like the show, and personally, I think the Brown family should be allowed to live how they wish and have all the legal rights they are entitled to. That doesn't mean that I support polygamy. It doesn't mean that the Brown family shouldn't have their show because I am not pro-polygamy.

You state that the 'gay agenda' is that they shouldn't have to worry about any discrimination and that straight people haven't had to endure that. It sure seems like the 'agenda' is that of reverse discrimination. If you are not pro gay, support abortion, and support divorce then you should not have a show. However, if a gay person who supports abortion and divorce wants a show and they don't get it, it's DISCRIMINATION, right?

Last I checked? They call that a double standard and hypocrisy.

And, let's go over something about FREEDOM- in this country you have the freedom to believe in whatever you want. In America, if you think lamp on your table is your higher power you get to do that. What is really shown here, is that you do not get to believe in what you want because other people don't agree with it and call it hate. Not being for someone's lifestyle hardly hateful. I'm not for Polygamy, but I like the brown family from sister wives. Personally, I hate hunting, that doesn't mean that other people should not hunt if they want to.

So, here is ~~~~MY AGENDA~~~~~ the freedom agenda. That's right. That's why I am upset HGTV cancelled the show. The show was not about their personal beliefs. They are not part of any hate groups. Therefore, I will NEVER watch another show on HGTV and I will do everything I can to try to influence others not to watch their channel either. HGTV is anti-freedom.

May 9, 2014 at 9:07 am | Reply
      • Trace

Wow. Good response Jill.

May 9, 2014 at 3:29 pm |
    • Dominic

true christian church's do not support Gay rights brother. It is a sin, you cannot pick and choose what to except to follow from the word. The adulterer knows he or she is sinning via the bible and continues to do so against the word of god. so the Gay man or woman should understand that they are doing the same thing if they claim to be a christian. There is no ill intent behind my words. We are not robots, got grants us free will. As a christian i am told to love thy brother and sister. That doesn't mean i have to agree or except what you are doing. As a Black American, I understand that segregation and hate should stay a thing of the past. you should be able to get married in a court room because that is the right of every human being. But to be married in my church under my religions beliefs is a sin and by the word of god is never going to happen. Gay rights is a money maker. The only thing gay individuals are fighting for now is to legally be wed in the courtroom because the church is irrelevant. After that there is nothing left to argue because you cannot block the freedom of speech and beliefs if you want to have that right granted to yourself.

May 9, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Reply