April 30th, 2014

CNN exclusive: Amanda Knox says, 'I did not kill my friend'

If she had been at the scene of the crime, forensic evidence would prove her guilt, but Amanda Knox says there is nothing - no DNA, no hair, no footprints, no handprints - to show she was there.

Knox spoke in an exclusive interview with CNN on Thursday, two days after an Italian court released an explanation of her conviction.

In a retrial, Knox and Raffaele Sollecito, her then-boyfriend, were found guilty in the 2007 death of Meredith Kercher, Knox's onetime roommate.

"I did not kill my friend. I did not wield a knife. I had no reason to," Knox said.

"In the month that we that we were living together, we were becoming friends. A week before the murder occurred, we went out to a classical music concert together ... We had never fought."

Knox struggled to speak at moments in the interview, seemingly overcome by emotion and thoughts of Kercher. But, for the most part, she was calm, collected and methodical in how she broke down arguments in the case.

In its more than 300-page document, the Florence appeals court said a third person convicted in the murder, Rudy Guede, did not act alone, and cited the nature of the victim's wounds.

Ruling Judge Alessandro Nencini, who presided over the second appeal in the case, said Kercher and Knox disagreed over the payment of the rent in the house they shared in Perugia and that "there was an argument then an elevation and progression of aggression."

Knox dismissed those allegations out of hand.

"If I were there, I would have traces of Meredith"s broken body on me. And I would have left traces of myself around - around Meredith's corpse," she said.

"And I - I am not there. And that proves my innocence."

MORE.

-----------–

MORE ON THE SAGA:

Italian court explain Amanda Knox conviction

By Barbie Latza Nadeau, CNN, Wed April 30, 2014

An Italian court says it convicted Amanda Knox and her former boyfriend of murdering her onetime roommate in part because of evidence showing that more than one person killed the British student.

The Florence appeals court released its explanation Tuesday, less than three months after it convicted Knox and Raffaele Sollecito in Meredith Kercher's 2007 death in a retrial.

In the more than 300-page document, the court said that a third person convicted in the murder, Rudy Guede, did not act alone, and cited the nature of the victim's wounds.

MORE.

-----------–

ONE YEAR AGO:

Last year, May 2013, Chris Cuomo sat down with Knox and she told him she's scared to return to Italy to face a new trial nearly six years after her study-abroad roommate's slaying. But she's considering it.

"I'm afraid to go back there," she said.

"In Italy," she added, "people think it's arrogant of me to sit here in the United States and have a book come out and defend myself. And first of all, I find that incredibly unfair, because I have the right to defend myself. And no one can ask me to just shut up because it's convenient. But at the same time, I want to prove to them that I care about what's going on."

WATCH:

-----------–

See gallery of evidence in case:

The knife: The prosecution in 2009 said that a knife found in Raffaele Sollecito's house has the DNA of Amanda Knox on the handle

-----------–

MORE:

AMANDA KNOX: 'I'M AFRAID TO GO BACK' TO ITALY

1. Graybeard

Yeah, let's believe Italy's judicial system – the system that says women wearing tight jeans cannot be raped, or it isn't child abuse for a 60-year old to have sex with a 11-year old if she had affection for him, or scientists are murderers if they cannot predict an earthquake. Yeah, lets believe a prosecutor that goes to a medium to talk to a dead priest for advice on a crime in Florence. Yep. Those are reliable representatives of Italian justice. NOT!!!

May 6, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Reply
  2. jimmyzee

CLEARLY SHE IS INNOCENT, ITALY IS A KANGAROO COURT. YOU PEOPLE THINK SHE IS GUILTY BECAUSE SHE IS A PRETTY GIRL. OPEN YOUR EYS IDIOTS !

May 2, 2014 at 3:24 pm | Reply
  3. Julie Jorgensen

I appreciate CNN for having the courage to help shine the light on the truth of this case. Amanda is indeed innocent and I applaud you for your help in getting this information out to the public. Chris Cuomo actually redeemed himself in my eyes from his last interview with Amanda.

May 2, 2014 at 3:07 pm | Reply
  4. Lisa

Guilty - and she's just creepy! I think she did it and tried covering it up - she's very well rehearsed, and very contrived in her actions and in her words. Guilty and Creepy. I think she thinks she can get away with it because she's an American and a women and counting on having a good US defense attorney in international law and extradition, get her off - she's surfing for sympathy from the public. Not here.

May 2, 2014 at 9:23 am | Reply
    • Jonathon Coults

I don't know whether or not she's guilty, but Amanda Knox is safe from Italian justice either way, along as she doesn't leave the United States for any reason, ever. America does not allow Double Jeopardy, so having had the evidence doubted and having been released and allowed to come to America, it seems like we have ourselves a double jeopardy situation. So if Italy asks for her to be sent there, the government cannot do so, because to do so, knowing that she would face Double Jeopardy there, would violate her Constitutional Rights. I'm not defending her or anything, just saying how I understand the law to work.

May 2, 2014 at 7:48 pm | Reply
    • Natasha

Oh sure, she's getting away with it because she's "American". America has a very high rate of wrongly convicted prisoners. The USA is full of people who want to see actual murderers rot in hell. They still have the death penalty, for God's sake. And maybe the fact that she's a 'woman', should be part of the reason she not be considered guilty, as women almost never commit violent crimes – let alone murder – other women! Men do it a lot, all over the world. There's so much hatred of women on this earth, it's not surprising that people like you exist. You do a huge disservice to Meredith Kercher by not addressing the real crime, because you'd rather not focus on the facts.

May 4, 2014 at 9:15 am | Reply
  5. velvetfairy

Shame on you CNN. Putting a convicted murderer on your show, acting up a storm to try to fool the public.
    We are not fooled by her theatrics. You are worse than the national enquirer.

May 2, 2014 at 12:24 am | Reply
    • jimmyzee

SHE WAS NOT CONVICTED ... IT WAS OVERTURNED.

May 2, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Reply
  6. jay

interested to learn more about the extradition process. can you (CNN) do a segment on this?
    what if US does not recognize italy's higher court's ruling and refuse extradition. does it harm our relationship with Italian law enforcement.... lots of interesting issues opened up...

May 1, 2014 at 11:57 pm | Reply
  7. jvano

I want to believe this girl because 1) there is this guy from Ivory Coast who did a plea deal and is serving 15 year for this murder in Italian prison-but part of plea deal he implicates Knox and bfriend; 2) This guys bloody palm print is on the wall above the murder bed and bloody foot print in the bathroom; 3) No physical evidence to place Knox nor bfriend in that room. What bothers me is her statement tonight that she makes the point "I did not wield a knife." I did not kill my friend." It is almost like she is pursing terms with what she did and did not do – that makes me think that she in some way was in involved or was there. I don't know why I feel that way. But it troubles me.

May 1, 2014 at 11:52 pm | Reply
    • Irene

Oh my goodness! I'm sorry but it's precisely this kind of amateurish psycho-babble that is at the root of the travesty of justice in this case to begin with. You are reading all kinds of non-existent 'motivations' into the way in which Amanda Knox uses language. Are you a forensic psychiatrist, with a linguistics degree? Clearly not! You are another voice of profound and dangerous ignorance. Simply because Amanda chooses to use language in a different way from yourself, does not make her capable of committing a violent murder. She has been accused of slashing another young woman to death. That she uses the word "wield' to refer to the accusations against her, is merely indicative of the fact that she is someone who is good at expressing herself through the use of original language. She uses 'wield' to show how stupid. dramatic and unlikely the action is! Grow up and get some education.

May 4, 2014 at 8:54 am | Reply
    • michanth

I agree with you. She repeats this over and over again.

May 8, 2014 at 10:40 am | Reply
  8. ktfo

This whole case brings back memories of the OJ trials and his acquittal. Sometimes justice is blind even when guilt is written all over their face.

May 1, 2014 at 10:24 pm | Reply
  9. Katy Dunant

I am so bored of this woman now. She says the same thing over & over eg. No DNA in the room – yes, there was, Raffaele's DNA on the clasp, yours on the knife. She always confines it to that room. She won't address the evidence outside the room – her bloody footprints in the hall, her blood mixed with Meredith's in the bathroom, evidence of clean up etc etc. She gives no decent explanation for why she changed her story again & again. She's still changing it now!

Whatever she says, multiple witnesses have testified that Meredith & she did not get on. Why does she talk of Meredith's 'corpse'? And her 'broken body'? What a repellent way to describe your friend. She had a little flashback if you look closely.

Change the record Amanda, we're bored of this one!

May 1, 2014 at 9:08 pm | Reply
    • jimmyzee

WHEN YOUR INNOCENT BOZO OF COURSE YOU SAY THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER, ITS CALLED THE TRUTH.

May 2, 2014 at 3:27 pm | Reply
  10. Bob

It's amazing how this court has distorted the facts.
    Here are the facts:
    All the evidence points to the Break-in artist and thief Rude Guede who broke into the apartment, stole Kircher money and then when she came home unexpectedely, Guede raped and killed her too. Guede' dna and sperm was all over that room. His bloody foot steps everywhere and even his bloody handprint one the pillow he used to smother her while he raped and murdered her. By contrast there is not a single iota of evidence that Knox or her byfriend were in that room. It woud be impossible to selectively remove Just their DNA from all that bloody mess... btw Guede admitted to the crime and he had absolotuely no conection to either Knox or Solecito. The people who want to keep prosecuting Knox and Solecito are exhibiting a sociopathic disregard for the facts.

May 1, 2014 at 8:44 pm | Reply
  11. Nam

In her upcoming appeal, will she go back to Italy to defend herself or just send in another email?

May 1, 2014 at 7:31 pm | Reply
  12. Dale

Tired of the softball stuff. When will a REAL journalist start asking the HARD questions: Your interrogation on Nov. 5 began at 11 pm, 2 hours later you'd put yourself at the scene and accused your innocent boss. Why? What really happened in those 2 hours and why are you having your PR firm tell everyone it was 50 hours?

May 1, 2014 at 7:22 pm | Reply
    • jimmyzee

SO NOW YOUR CLARENCE DARROW FOOL ?

May 2, 2014 at 3:28 pm | Reply
  13. Doghouse

You idiots, she's innocent. Why don't you do some research.

May 1, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Reply
  14. Allie

Well you should go back so they do not blame your boyfriend who was not there. You used him for an alibi and then they went after him. IF YOU ARE SO INNOCENT GO BACK BUT EXPECTING AMERICA TO HELP YOU WHEN YOU WERE THERE, CONFESSED TO BEING THERE AND NOW YOU WANT TO BACK TRACK AND BEGGING AMERICANS TO HELP. NONE OF MY FRIENDS GOT IN TROUBLE THERE SO IT IS YOU AND THEY KNOW YOU WERE INVOLVED. YOUR ACTIONS BUT THE PROOF IS THE DNA AND YOUR CONFESSION. EXCEPT YOU DIDN'T TELL ALL. YOU LIED AND GOT INNOCENT PEOPLE INVOLVED AND BE A DECENT HUMAN AND GET YOUR EX OUT OF TROUBLE. HE DENIED YOU WERE WITH HIM UNTIL AFTER MEREDITH WAS DEAD. NO WONDER HER FAMILY WNATS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU. LEAVE THEM ALONE. FACE THE MUSIC AND IF YOU REFUSE TO GO BACK THEN I HOPE AMERICA WILL TAKE YOU BACK SHACKLED. HOW DARE YOU BLAME OTHERS.

May 1, 2014 at 6:40 pm | Reply
    • Irene

Stop carrying on about "America'. I am half Italian and half English and I also happen to have a brain that I use. This case is about simple facts, not about 'nations', and comments such as yours make non-Americans look like morons. The fact is that every time you breathe in and out, a woman or a girl is being killed, raped or tortured by a man. There are very high statistics the world over that prove the rate of violent crime against women. The statistics of women who kill other women are virtually non-existent. The fact is that Rudy had a history of break and enter, and this was the first time he was caught red handed, so he got angry and became violent. The fact is that no one can erase their DNA from a crime scene while leaving behind someone else's. What on earth has this to do with what 'nationality' someone is? You certainly don't speak for me, or any intelligent British or Italian person.

May 4, 2014 at 8:58 am | Reply
  15. Wombling free

You give this convicted liar and murderer a stage to spout her usual mantra which is fine; but please don't call yourselves credible journalists if you are just prepared to hold her hand and sympathise with her. If you do that then you really know nothing about this case and shame on you. A completely innocent young girl lost her life in a terribly brutal way so please think of Meredith and her family before publishing more untruths from the Knox propaganda machine. Nencini may not have known the true motive for Meredith's death but Arline Kercher got it spot on: Meredith was everything they weren't.

May 1, 2014 at 5:49 pm | Reply
    • Irene

A completely innocent girl did lose her life, and you are showing NO respect for her by blaming another young woman. Statistics reveal a very high, proven rate of violent crime against women and girls by MEN. The statistics of violent crimes (let alone murders!) committed against women by other women are virtually non-existent. So how dare you suggest you care about Meredith Kercher. You obviously don't like women or you would take the facts and the statistics into account. This is a major crime against one woman that has turned into another crime against another young woman, and by the belief in the ludicrous notion that a girl can have so much control over a boyfriend, it has in turn become a major crime against a young man- that being Raffaele.

You need to look in the mirror and see yourself for the misogynist that you are. And if you're female, you have an even bigger problem.

May 4, 2014 at 9:08 am | Reply
      • Wombling free

My original reply was deleted by CNN so I will try to be more constructive in this response in the hope this will be posted. I have to say Irene (if that is your name) that I was taken aback by your venom. You do not know me yet throw alsorts of accusations in the pot to cover your contempt at my belief that Amanda Knox is guilty of the crimes she has been convicted of; and CNN's showcasing of this criminal. You have thrown ridiculous statistics in to your argument. 'It is virtually unheard of for women to commit violent crimes against other women'. I think you have been living in Amandaland for far too long. I watch true crime shows and read a lot of true crime books. I also follow the news. Women can be evil. They commit crimes against other women, men and children – FACT. Admittedly, men are statistically more likely to commit crime but I still can't fathom your argument. AK was found guilty of this crime with two other men. I believe all 3 to be guilty. I have my own personal thoughts on what happened that night but the purpose of my original post was a complaint to CNN and not to engage with people such as yourself. My belief in the Italian justice system is not showing disrespect to Meredith Kercher, in fact Meredith's family believe the 3 perpetrators to be guilty so I know her family would appreciate my support, as well as every other person who stands for truth and justice (and opposing those with the means to use the media to gain an acquittal).

Just to clarify Irene, I am a woman. Not sure why that is a problem. I have lots of lovely female friends who I adore. I have never played sick pranks on them, walked naked in front of their husbands/boyfriends, and never physically hurt them. Why I am the one with the problem is beyond me. But I do think you should look closely at yourself as you clearly are a misandrist. I wish you well Irene.

June 14, 2014 at 7:56 pm |
  16. LisaNY

Please ask her why she accused her innocent boss. It was an accusation and not a false confession, she witnessed her boss kill her roommate. For an honor student who worked 3 jobs to get to Italy, I cant see how anyone could believe the police made her accuse her boss. She gave a lot of detail in her written statement, so it's difficult to believe that she was actually coerced into pointing her finger at a completely innocent man. I'd also like to know why her footprints made with the victim's blood were found in the house especially the room that was alleged to have been broken into. So many things don't make sense in Amanda's testimony that it's hard not to think she was somehow involved.

May 1, 2014 at 5:09 pm | Reply
  17. Boh

Dear CNN, if you're going to give Amanda Knox any more airtime the least you could do for viewers is read up on the case. Go through trial documents, and please don't present to us tabloid info like satanic and sex theories. I can't think of anyone in the US that's been convicted twice of murder being paraded on news and talk shows. There are thousands of real injustices going on in the country, but of course it's not sensational news so it won't be aired.

May 1, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Reply
  18. clockworkorange

Guilty send [her] to jail for life.

May 1, 2014 at 4:35 pm | Reply
  19. sugar

Wouldn't an innocent young girl be hysterically crying her eyes out if she just found out that her roomate was brutally murdered, whether or not they had their differences? Would she be doing cartwheels at the police station?

May 1, 2014 at 3:45 pm | Reply
    • Tim

I see that some people are already misrepresenting the fact in this case in the comment section. Amanda had been Meredith Kercher's roommate for a total of 42 days and there is little evidence at all that they didn't get along. In fact her roommates said that they never saw the two get into an argument at all. She did cry at the police station, just not every moment. Also people react to tragedies differently. Shock, dismay and sometime it hits people later. As for the so called cartwheels. That never happened. Amanda did a yoga split and keep in mind this was on November 5th, three and half days after Meredith's body was found.

The truth is there really is no evidence connecting her to the murder or the murderer. This is a sham of a judicial decision.

This is judge made up the 7th theory about the murder...discounting the previous ones. Remember, at first the original prosecutor suggested that it was sacrificial killing commemorating "All Saints Day". That theory was abandoned and then they pursued the theory that the crime was the result of a sex orgy gone awry. The judge overseeing the original trial dismissed this theory and suggested that it was a momentary choice for evil and any motive was Rudy Guede's not Amanda's Raffaele's but the latter two did nothing to stop him and covered up the crime for him. In the next trial it was suggested that Amanda and Meredith did not get along and Amanda was jealous of Meredith....Why?...we have no idea..just that she supposedly was. After they were acquitted, the Italian Supreme Court annulled that decision and pretty much ordered that the Florence court return a guilty verdict. They went so far to suggest that the sex orgy theory was the reason. The prosecutor in this final case suggested not that it was a sex orgy but because Meredith got angry at Amanda because Rudy Guede didn't flush a toilet. Nencini ignored all of these theories and made up his own actually accepting what Rudy Guede said, not even during his trial...and that was that Amanda murdered Meredith because Meredith suggested that Amanda stole her rent money. Never mind that it was Rudy who was the thief. This was the same person who was caught only days before the murder having broken into a nursery in Milan. And the police found in his possession a laptop that was stolen during a burglary of a law office only a couple of blocks from Rudy's home. Rudy was also identified as the same man that Christian Tremantano, a bartender at a disco in town found in his home. Rudy escaped that situation by pulling a knife on Christian.

May 1, 2014 at 9:01 pm | Reply
    • Irene

When I was 20, I was at the home of a woman who was told that her children had died in a car crash on the way home from school. She continued to cook dinner. She put the radio on. She sang. I was the only one with her, and I didn't understand why she was not crying and screaming. You don't understand shock, and that's obvious. No one knows how they'd react to something as horrible as this. It's just so unfair to judge Amanda or Raffaele on their 'reactions', especially given how young they were at the time. They both came from pretty protective families, and had no experience of anything like this. Of course they didn't react 'properly'. No one ever does when they're in shock. There have been proven cases of people being accused of murdering their own children, simply because they didn't react the way someone else wanted them to. It's a fallacy and a dangerous one, to think that everyone must shed tears.

May 4, 2014 at 9:04 am | Reply
      • Wombling free

Jackanory

June 7, 2014 at 5:31 pm |
  20. hsheng06

kept being confused for one thing: is she a good girl or a murderer?

May 1, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  21. manfromatlan

Has CNN asked any member Meredith Kercher's family for comment? It seems like all it has done so far is provide a showcase for two accused (and convicted) murderers. You ought to be ashamed of yourselves. She's a convicted criminal, not a celebrity except what you make her.

May 1, 2014 at 2:01 am | Reply
    • Sol_Cal

She hasnt been convicted for murder, just slander. A conviction or acquittal is final when all appeals have been finalized. Still one more to go.

May 1, 2014 at 5:47 pm | Reply
    • jimmyzee

YOUR ANOTHER MISBEGOTTEN FOOL, BELIEVE ITALYS SIDE BUT NOT HERS ? WHATS THE MATTER INTIMIDATED BY HER GOOD LOOKS.

May 2, 2014 at 3:30 pm | Reply
    • Natasha

It seems to me like people like you have done nothing other than provide a showcase for hatred against women. There are virtually no statistics against women who kill other women. There are very high statistics that prove men kill women. You have no respect for Meredith Kercher, because you'd rather see another young woman go to jail than look at the facts of the case. Go and get yourself a good psychiatrist. If you'd rather believe that a woman killed another woman – even when there's no evidence to back it up- then you're a seriously creepy man and I hope you stay away from women.

May 4, 2014 at 9:12 am | Reply
  22. PKFS

Thanks CNN! I'm always glued to my set when convicted sex murderers give their exclusive reaction interviews. I can't wait for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's exclusive reaction interview. Forget what the courts say, I want to know what HE thinks and so do his victims!

April 30, 2014 at 8:32 pm | Reply
    • Bosco

I couldn't agree more.

Hey, here's a ratings boosting idea: interview Amanda and Dzhokhar at the same time while they engage in various sex acts! Your fans will love it!

May 3, 2014 at 1:25 pm | Reply