Australia says it may have found possible debris from the missing Malaysian jetliner. The standoff between Russia and Ukraine shows no signs of letting up. And today is the International Day of Happiness.
It's Thursday, and here are the 5 things to know for your "New Day."
1. MISSING PLANE
Objects spotted in water: Could this be the big break for the loved ones of those aboard the Malaysia Airlines flight? Australian authorities say they've spotted two objects in the southern Indian Ocean that may be debris from the missing jetliner. The objects are indistinct but of "reasonable size" – the largest about 24 meters (79 feet) long, said John Young, general manager of emergency response for the Australian Maritime Safety Authority.
Uneasy standoff: Amid signs the crisis between pro-Russian and Ukrainian forces could ignite into bloody conflict, hundreds of armed pro-Russian supporters took over the naval base in Sevastopol, said Marina Kanalyuk, a Ukrainian military official. Moscow claimed the Crimea region as its own this week despite warnings from the White House and Europe. Ukrainian soldiers in the region were left in a limbo after Russia took over Crimea.
3. GYM MAT DEATH
Claim of confession: A district attorney's office in Georgia is investigating an anonymous e-mail claiming an ex-schoolmate reportedly confessed to killing Kendrick Johnson. The assistant district attorney has ordered a communications company to hand over Internet records. At least two people mentioned in the e-mail have been interviewed.
The teen's body was found in a rolled-up mat in the Lowndes High School gymnasium in January 2013. Investigators with the sheriff's office ruled his death accidental, but many have questioned that conclusion, especially his parents.
4. DAY OF HAPPINESS
#spreadthejoy: Happiness is the news today. So says the U.N., which wants you to join the movement for at least 24 hours, and share your happy moments. And while you're at it, why not extend it for a lifetime? Need some help with that? Pharrell's video is a good start. The "Happy" singer has teamed up with the world body to spread the cheer.
Then there's this toddler who prefers Bruno Mars, and wakes up dancing to him.
And there's no way we'll leave out this beautiful cover of "Happy" by a Detroit children's choir.
What we're trying to say is take a moment to think of the little things that bring you joy. A whole lotta heart and a big smile can make a world of difference.
Dangling tot, meet kind stranger: In keeping up with the happy theme today, here's an upbeat story with a joyful ending. It's the kinda stuff you only watch on TV or in movies – a toddler falls from three stories up and into a stranger's arms. Only that it actually happened, in Southern California. The youngster was hanging out of a third-story window of an apartment building in Burbank.
Those are your five biggies for the day. Here are a couple of others that are brewing and have the Internet buzzing.
– Bike to bed: Check out this surveillance video that seems to show a Brazilian cyclist being sideswiped by a truck. He then miraculously lands on a mattress that falls off the back of the same truck. We were skeptical too, but there's a frame-by-frame breakdown on imgur.
– Just try to look away: A German shepherd drinks water from a bowl in ultra-slow motion. This one will leave you tongue-tied.
– Tastes like what? Scientists have unveiled a new dinosaur dubbed the "chicken from hell." Feathers are going to fly over this discovery.
– Lost Phone Chronicles: Someone loses an iPhone on St. Patrick's Day in New Orleans and eventually tracks it down with the "Find My Friends" app. But before phone and owner are reunited, a guy finds it and chronicles his mini-adventure before dropping it off at a local bar.
– Poor lil' fella: The person who posted this video says it's not every day you hear: "There's a moose stuck in your fence." We agree.
There you go. All you need to know to get an early start to your morning.
Be sure to tune in to "New Day," from 6 to 9 a.m. ET, join us at NewDayCNN.com and go and have a GREAT NEW DAY!