January 23rd, 2014

Documentary Exposes French Imposter

"The Imposter" is a British-American co-production, and is the story of a Frenchman who impersonated a Texas child, Nicholas Barclay,  who went missing in 1994. The con might have worked, if not for one Texas investigator. CNN's Michaela Pereira reports.

Private Investigator Charlie Parker traced the imposter, Frédéric Bourdin, for a decade. He says he was hired by the show "Hard Copy" to go to the initial investigation and that's where he realized key differences in the man's eyes and ears from those of Barclay.

"I asked the cameraman to zoom in on his ears. It's a technique Scotland Yard uses to identify people. The ear is the only part of the human body that doesn't age. And I knew if I could compare the ears, I could know what I had here. So I got to my office, compared the ears, and I knew instantly I had an imposter."

See full interview below:

Tune in to CNN tonight at 9 p.m. ET to see the full movie.

Posted by
Filed under: Interview • News • Uncategorized • Videos
  1. DJ

Ok, now I've seen the REST of the show and retract my comment.

January 24, 2014 at 11:26 pm | Reply
  2. DJ

Ths has to be the DUMBEST, hick family in the world to not recognize a 23 yr old foreigner posing as your immediate family member.

January 24, 2014 at 11:08 pm | Reply
  3. sylvia johnson

The movie was the best I have seen in years. Well done! I would like to see you cover the news as you used to before you turned so partisan. You were the most informative news on cable. Please give us back something besides gossip and local stories. Warm wishes to you all,
    S. Johnson.

January 24, 2014 at 5:08 pm | Reply
  4. *Mirella

How did this end? Watched up until they started digging up backyard? does this air again? Saw it Thursday Jan 23rd late eve in Toronto Canada.

January 24, 2014 at 7:42 am | Reply
  5. Name*sammyg

It's a sad day after all these years And great politicians that they still cant figure out that this is no Nfc vs Afc game . This is not u against them Rep vs Dem ! Really ? Your views collectively are not exactly worlds apart But u fight like they are not for your personal beliefs ,nor for best for your supporters ,And not even for the good of Our Country ! And sadly we as a country suffer cause if a great bill is proposed but it happens to be by the opposite party and it could possibly be a life changing , life altering proposal ! Explain to us why the opposite party would and will try to stop.it just because it would look ,do,and ,be good for us But the other party would sabatage it not cause Its great but sickly because. THE other party thought of IT And may get votes in THE future . PLEASE stop these Party lines And get elected independent for us and your family And fellow citizens . WE are falling apart because of this. This is plenty of power for a one team government Who looks out for us and our country as. ( 1 Team United not 2 teams Divided Ps Walmart My grandfather was friends with drs.in Mt Home Ark , can we try to go go his whole Made.in THE USA business strategy ? I think now hed be prouder that ever.if u could pull that off ! Youve.proven ur genius skills , Now honestly I believe ur THE only one Who can bring these jobs back along with some off of the deep pockets Who profited But could suffice with giving collectively a little back. I honestly believe with your starting momentum We can make great strides.

January 24, 2014 at 3:08 am | Reply
  6. Name*sammyg

This documentary has been on another network for a while now , where is your perspective or even investigation on this case besides buying the footage !!?? & Way cant people leave a post or message with annonimity ????? Unpublished !!?? LOL !!?

January 24, 2014 at 1:18 am | Reply
  7. lw

how is there no comments on this????? WTF???!!!

January 23, 2014 at 10:03 pm | Reply