December 19th, 2013

"Duck Dynasty" Star Under Fire For Anti-Gay Comments

Phil Robertson, a star of A&E's "Duck Dynasty," has been suspended indefinitely after slamming gays in a magazine interview.

CNN's Nischelle Turner breaks down his comments.

"We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson's comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty," the network said in a statement Wednesday.

"His personal views in no way reflect those of A+E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community. The network has placed Phil under hiatus from filming indefinitely."

In an interview in the January issue of GQ, Robertson says homosexuality is a sin and puts it in the same category as bestiality and promiscuity.

"It seems like, to me, a vagina - as a man - would be more desirable than a man's anus. That's just me. I'm just thinking: There's more there! She's got more to offer. I mean, come on, dudes! You know what I'm saying? But hey, sin: It's not logical, my man. It's just not logical," he's quoted as saying.

Asked what, in his mind, is sinful, Robertson replied: "Start with homosexual behavior and just morph out from there. Bestiality, sleeping around with this woman and that woman and that woman and those men."

He also made comments regarding race and growing up in Louisiana before the civil rights era.

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once. Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field. ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' - not a word!

"Pre-entitlement, pre-welfare, you say: Were they happy? They were godly; they were happy; no one was singing the blues," GQ quotes Robertson as saying.

"Duck Dynasty" follows a Louisiana bayou family that has "made a fortune on duck calls," as A&E describes it.

Season 5 of is set to premiere January 15. According to A&E, its fourth season premiere in August drew nearly 12 million viewers to become the No. 1 nonfiction series telecast in cable history.

Posted by
Filed under: Entertainment • Internets • Social • Videos
  1. Bobby

Let me start by saying that I am a gay white male. I rarely watch television,especially so called reality television, which is all about tearing people apart with harsh words and negativity. When I do watch TV, however, I am a chronic channel flipper and found myself not only watching, but also enjoying, the sweet,kind natured camaraderie between the folks on Duck Dynasty. I realize some of the antics are scripted, but overall it's a show that shows a good family that loves each other without harming others. Thats rare in itself.
    When I first heard that A&E had suspended Phile for making anti gay comments my immediate reaction was "Thank you A&E". However, after personally reading the article in GQ and gathering more facts myself, I have to say that A&E overreacted and while I don't agree with the comments made by Phil, I do support his right to believe what he believes and talk about his beliefs. I dont feel personally attacked by his comments in any way.
    I honestly think at some point there will be a gay member of this family, if there isn't already, and Phil will love them like he does the rest of his family. I can see it now... Phil and Uncle Si miss the first day of hunting season to take (insert gay family member name here)to the mall for the Nordstrom half yearly sale...Hilarious!!
    Stick together Robertsons!! All the way to the bank

December 24, 2013 at 9:05 am | Reply
  2. Bobby

December 24, 2013 at 8:38 am | Reply
  3. Name*Maritza

The Christian people don't judge or question the homosexuality. They just tell the truth about what the Bible said. And is not only said about homosexuality but adultery, criminals, and others. The Bible said that sin is sin and is against the God. But the problem is that the people doesn't want to hear the truth. See Genesis 1:27; Lv.18:22-23; Lv. 20:13; Rom. 1:26-27; I Cor. 6:9-10; etc. Is our responsibility as Christians said the truth to the people like it or not. Because is with the eternal life that people play thru. We can't let people with a wrong style of life tell us what we can or we can't said. We love them pray for them and just want them to be saved. That's all. We have to obey God instead of men.

December 19, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  4. aposphillips

It is time for Christians to stop being afraid to tell the truth about sin. Gays, lesbians, those who fornicate, or even lie will not inherit the kingdom of God if they don't repent of those sins and discontinue their sinful acts. Christ was never afraid to face and speak out against Satan's children, and we were all his children before we got saved. And, the pope proves fake and not understanding of God's holy word when he says, "who is he to judge?" We are not called to judge, but we are commanded to discerned who is living according to God's holy word and who is not. "You shall know them by their fruit.' I am tired of half-hearted, fake Christians who refused to stand up and tell the truth about sin. if I truly love you, I will truly warn you about your eternal plight as a result of sin. Most people of the world belongs to Satan, and that's a fact as most television personalities and most of the media are anti-Christs. I still love such people, but don't want to be around them as long as they are serving Satan.

December 19, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  5. DANNIE

Every person has their right to speak their opinion,and by the way he's right it's wrong know way around it.People complain over the truth,people just need to grow up(man needs to be a man and a woman a woman).

December 19, 2013 at 11:56 am | Reply
  6. Name*Robbie

If you are going to make a show about a mans family and his life and call it reality, then you should have to take the whole life. Just because his views offend someone isn't cause for suspension. He didn't target anyone specifically, he made a blanket statement to his beliefs and I for one applaud him. Maybe if we had more Christian people that stood up for moral issues the filth on T.V. Wouldn't be so in our faces for our young people these days.

December 19, 2013 at 10:44 am | Reply
  7. Kay from Texas

Excuse me for not knowing the site; but, when the homosexual community said that it was illegal to preach out of Romans 5 with a penalty of prison.... doesn't that mean that they KNOW that it says that their lifestyle is a sin? Therefore; if we Christians believe the WHOLE Bible, we believe that along with no lying, murdering, stealing, backbiting, etc... that we also believe that homosexuality is a sin – huh!

December 19, 2013 at 10:41 am | Reply
  8. lovegods10

GOD IS ALL THAT MATTERS PHIL, NOT SINNERS JUDGEMENTS OF YOU. DONT EVER CHANGE.................GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. BECAREFULL WHEN EVIL IS GOOD AND GOOD IS EVIL. GOD WILL JUDGE ALL THOSE SINNERS

December 19, 2013 at 10:34 am | Reply
  9. Joe

what Phil Robertson said is what he was his response to question asked and replied his religious belief. What is this country coming too when we reply with our religious beliefs and we offend some group or person this country was founded on the freedom of peoples freedom of speech and if it offends some group or person so be it. To make a big deal out of this is what is wrong with America today to many cry babies.

December 19, 2013 at 10:33 am | Reply
  10. Tman

Good for you phil,dont change your beliefs,and cower down ,to the people in this country that have no morals or beliefs left,those type of people have sold their soul to the devil. stick with what you believe in no matter what the cost!!!

December 19, 2013 at 10:32 am | Reply
  11. Carol Kelley

A & E just like other compaines, are all about the money and AFRAID to say how they TRUELY feel. My god STAND up. Why ask him, then slam him for it. People love that show and family because of what they stand for. Hopefully his family will stand up and support him and use his name in the show every chance they get.I hope the people stand up and stop watching the show because Phil was KICKED off. There is nothing wrong with speaking out about not agreeing with being gay. I bet if you went through A&E and got the personal opion of each and every employee, you will find not everybody agree with being gay.

December 19, 2013 at 10:30 am | Reply
  12. Elizabeth

If Phil is not on the show I will not watch it anymore people have a right to their own opinion.

December 19, 2013 at 10:26 am | Reply