December 18th, 2013

Lottery Winner Gives $40 Million Jackpot to Charity

In today's edition of the "Good Stuff" a Canadian lottery winner says he's giving away his $40 million to charity. CNN's Chris Cuomo reports.

Tom Crist says he made enough money as CEO of an electrical products company that when he won the lottery, he decided immediately that every dollar should go to charities in memory of his wife who died of cancer.

He told the CBC News: "I did very well for myself. I've done enough that I can look after myself, for my kids, so they can get looked after into the future. I don't really need that money."

Though he waited seven months to tell his children, he says they're cool with his plan.

If you have #GoodStuff news, let us know! Leave a comment, post on Facebook, or tweet to @ChrisCuomo & @NewDay using #NewDay and submit your story on iReport.

Posted by
Filed under: News • The Good Stuff • Videos
  1. Sully

Screw Obama make him our new not greedy pres

December 23, 2013 at 2:56 am | Reply
  2. shasell negron

40 million donated to charity.

December 22, 2013 at 10:18 am | Reply
  3. Stella Avaemai

je vous félicite, merci pour tous ceux qui ont on besoin

December 21, 2013 at 11:00 am | Reply
  4. Andrea

I love that this man has decided to give this money to those who are in need of help like his wife was. If I were to win the lottery I know I would spend every dime helping students pay back their staggering loans the way I have to, $100,000 in debt at 22 is no fun. And with our economy the way it is, seems more and more hopeless everyday. Go to school to get a good job, get a job to pay off school.

December 20, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Reply
  5. Cristina

That it was very awesome..Congratulations..

December 19, 2013 at 6:46 pm | Reply
  6. Pedro Corado

I applaud this man's selflessness and humility, may he be even more successful.

December 19, 2013 at 5:08 pm | Reply
  7. neel

you are awesome man.

December 19, 2013 at 10:11 am | Reply
  8. GodfearingAtheist

How cool is that?! Now he can spend time with his family giving it away instead of fighting over it. His kids will be rich from the experience. Note: Appointment today with lawyer to win back wife's inheritance stolen from older brother. I love my father in law but I wish he gave the million dollar lake house to charity. it destroyed the only family we had left.

December 19, 2013 at 9:21 am | Reply
    • GodfearingAtheist

edit: stolen by brother. guess what? just found out he didn't pay the taxes either. we have to come up with 9000.00 by the 1st or the tax man will take it. Apparently, we are supporting him now too. Geez.... merry Christmas indeed.

December 19, 2013 at 9:31 am | Reply
  9. Monique

Awesome! Love it! ❤ may God continue to bless him & his family Greatly!

December 19, 2013 at 9:02 am | Reply
  10. A Non Imus

Lest we forget it's a tax write off as well. 😉

December 19, 2013 at 8:22 am | Reply
  11. Mahalia Doronila

If we can ask Tom Crist a donation for our group who help our less fortunate people in our place in the Philippines ..My group is CADIZMYCITYMYHOME our projects are helping the less fortunate in our place...THANKS AND GOD BLESS..

December 19, 2013 at 7:54 am | Reply
  12. jenaphurackerman

you are a very cool and sensible person. I hope the best for you and yours.

December 19, 2013 at 6:19 am | Reply
  13. Moncef Bouchrit

I need to contact this man to ask him to use a part of his money to start a project in Tunisia to allow some poor people to get a job>>>

December 19, 2013 at 5:26 am | Reply
  14. Dr Lou

It's about making sure what you take goes back in proportion to help the whole group do better for themselves. Is a philanthropist really doing any good if what he gives back doesn't hurt him at all? Imagine giving back, smartly, until it hurts some. That's the love for fellow man that we need, it has to be voluntary, not for show, not for anything other than knowing it's right and true. What this fellow did was great, and more very rich should voluntarily give back, after all without the little folks to buy the crap they sell, they would be sitting around with all their crap instead of their crappy friends....

December 19, 2013 at 3:52 am | Reply
  15. Tongai Mugari

Tell him to donate just $10 000 to me.it will go a long way

December 19, 2013 at 3:17 am | Reply
  16. Lance

What kind of charity did it go to? Where does lotto money come from to begin with?

December 19, 2013 at 1:51 am | Reply
  17. Mathel Dazo

I am the mother of a cancer patient and my daughter is now in remission. I am so touched by the act of Mr. Crist – very Christ-like indeed. If she had no insurance I would have lost my daughter to cancer..luckily, my ex-husband had acquired insurance for her and so we were able to pay her medical expenses.... I hope more rich people would be like you, Mr. Crist. In behalf of all cancer patients who would benefit from your charity, thank you very much. You are sure to have a place in heaven. May God bless you and your children, for your kind heart and love for fellow men. I am also at a risk, and I hope God will save me from it – through people like you! God bless!

December 18, 2013 at 11:37 pm | Reply
  18. Terrie

You, sir, are a good human being and a real man who truly loves their wife and family. I wish everyone could be so fortunate to have a husband and father such as you.

December 18, 2013 at 11:28 pm | Reply
  19. thinkinrobin

This is one cool guy, and hopefully his generous donation will bring about a cure for cancer!

December 18, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Reply
  20. thinkinrobin

That is way too cool, what a generous man and hopefully his donation will bring about a cure for cancer sooner.

December 18, 2013 at 11:15 pm | Reply
  21. Sally Grech

Why'd he even bother buying a lottery ticket if he didn't need the money? Isn't that why we buy them?

December 18, 2013 at 11:04 pm | Reply
    • Deborah

I agree

December 21, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Reply
    • Deborah

Good question

December 21, 2013 at 8:45 pm | Reply
  22. Elizabeth Green

Dear Mr. Crist, you must be a Real Christian man and a wonderful Father. Just to let you know I salute u. God Bless 4 what u did.

December 18, 2013 at 11:02 pm | Reply
  23. me

I wish he woulda at least gave me a few...I could really use it I make $9 and work with the elderly...sigh

December 18, 2013 at 10:40 pm | Reply
  24. mike

Love his decision Only comment would be targeting some funds to the best research facility working to cure cancer.

December 18, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Reply
  25. Gracie Pino

A CEO really?, why not me who have so many dreams. =)

December 18, 2013 at 10:35 pm | Reply
  26. Kim

Wow!!!! This story gave me chill bumps. What a truly wonderful example to all of us. No doubt~ this mans late wife would be very proud.

December 18, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Reply
  27. Norma jean Gibson

This is a man to be admired who loved his wife,loves his children and has given to his wifes charity selfishly! God bless you and have a very Merry Christmas! 🙂

December 18, 2013 at 10:13 pm | Reply
  28. Kabamba

I need a $1000000 to build a church and for the work of God

December 18, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Reply
  29. Rob

Amazing. I could have used a couple of bucks but hey – what a great story. Time for more good stories like this.

December 18, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Reply
  30. Nick

I like this heart of this gentleman, this story has really touch my heart. We need people like this man in this world. May God bless him

December 18, 2013 at 9:51 pm | Reply
  31. Shell

That's true love. He must have been to the moon and back! God bless you.

December 18, 2013 at 9:36 pm | Reply
  32. Mel

He have a kind heart. good job Sir. I wish somebody can help me. I really need money.

December 18, 2013 at 9:18 pm | Reply
  33. maxine

i think its grewat hes got a heart of gold and were u ever on the show the boss

December 18, 2013 at 9:07 pm | Reply