November 18th, 2013

Toronto's City Council Votes to Strip Embattled Mayor of Some Powers

CNN's Bill Weir  interviews embattled Toronto Mayor Rob Ford and his brother Doug Ford.

Toronto's City Council voted Friday to strip Ford of his ability to govern in an emergency and to appoint and dismiss committee chairs - unprecedented moves aimed at reining in the controversial politician.

Ford refuses to resign and his TV show premieres tonight.

Defending himself repeatedly during the interview, Ford remains enthusiastic despite the scandal surrounding his office.  Weir discusses the tense exchange on New Day.

Also, be sure to stay with CNN as more of Weir's exclusive interview with Rob and Doug Ford will be on "AC 360" tonight at 8pm ET.

Filed under: Interview • News • Videos
  1. JHL

I have limited sympathy for the city which voted this mutt in and doesn't provide a means to recall its elected officials. Democracy in action! Yay!

November 18, 2013 at 8:49 am | Reply
  2. whowho

I live just north of Toronto and believe me, I'm sick and tired of hearing about Rob Ford!!!

November 18, 2013 at 8:40 am | Reply
  3. Mark

He should be fired and brought up on charges! Maybe this will send a message to all the low-life’s in office!!!

November 18, 2013 at 8:18 am | Reply
  4. marijman

I like this one

November 18, 2013 at 7:41 am | Reply
  5. Dale

Tom Ford made a stupid decision when he decided to smoke crack that much is certain. But the judgmental news media should make some public confessions themselves. To see someone like Bill Weir berate this man and call him an addict and an alcoholic was beyond disgusting. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. Are persons in political positions the only ones who make mistakes? I'd bet that many of you in the news media have used drugs or tried them at some point. Come clean and share that with the world. Some of you no doubt used or tried some cocaine I bet. Some had pre-marital sex or unprotected sex; I bet some of you have committed adultery too. So, come clean you aren't perfect no matter how good you have been right? If Ford is what you say then the truth will eventually come out you have no right to persecute anyone unless your life is clear.

November 18, 2013 at 7:10 am | Reply
  6. drdementwo

The recent public display by Mr. Rob Ford, the embattled Mayor of Toronto, has given all of us a chance to judge his behaviour and to form opinions about his character. Nonetheless, he remains an enigma and the motivations behind the deeper, more substantial basis of his destructive behaviour are still a mystery.
    Some people find him repulsive while some identify with his pugnacious style and firm resolve. Others find him an embarrassment and a source of derision. Although public opinion is divided, it is clear that Mr. Ford doesn’t care what we think about him as he fights to remain in public office. This insight, however, may provide us with the proper optics to view him as a complete person, one who is likely suffering a clinical personality disorder.
    I am not a health care professional nor do I pretend to understand Mr. Ford well enough to know if he is, in fact, suffering from a disorder or perhaps a mid-life meltdown. I do know, however, how it personally feels to think that even destructive behaviour is a way forward.
    I was once ‘taken for granted’ in a loveless marriage, which appeared healthy to everyone else but left me alone and trapped. I was isolated between a self-absorbed career wife and the need to endure my suffering for the well-being of our children. I didn’t have anyone to turn to for the support I needed and so I constructed an alternative reality as a coping mechanism, as a way to live in a fragmented reality.
    I now understand that I was seeking some form of control in my life and suggest that it is possible that Mr. Ford, like many others in our culture, generate chaotic situations as a way to feel in control, or perhaps to mirror the chaos within oneself. Perhaps Mr. Ford is also compelled to avoid uncertainty and is motivated by fears of the unpleasantness that might greet him at home or at work. If so, Mr. Ford’s behaviour has a name: “Chaos Manufacture”.
    Mr. Ford seems to exhibit some, if not all of characteristics of someone with this disorder. He appears to be over-emotional, immature and reactionary to someone who is able to be objective and logical. In other words, he seems to lack a strong connection between the decision-making parts of his brain and his emotions and feelings. This is clinically explained through the cognitive development process most people use to learn better strategies for problem solving and for calculating cost/benefit analyses and which is not so readily available to those who suffer from personality disorders.
    The bottom line is that someone with this disorder may appear to "never learn” because they seems to make decisions based on feelings rather than what he understands to be true.
    Chaos Manufacture is commonly associated with “Histrionic Personality Disorder”, also known as HPD. People with a Histrionic Personality Disorder conspicuously seek attention, are dramatic and excessively emotional. Their lively, expressive manner results in easily established but often superficial and transient relationships. People who suffer from HPD sometimes engage in destructive behaviours in an attempt to feel in control over their environment or over their relationships.
    Some people may interpret these mess-making behaviours as a “cry for help.” However, not everyone who manufactures chaos is trying to gain attention. It is important to note that some people create chaos as a way to generate internal feelings of being important. Some generate chaos as a narcissistic form of recreation, with little regard for how it impacts others.
    Mr. Ford also seems to fit some of the criteria for a narcissistic personality; such as a sense of superiority, a need for admiration, and a lack of empathy. This is illustrated by the fact that Mr. Ford will not step aside and that he expects to be vindicated by the electorate in a re-election. Although his behaviour seems offensive and arrogant, even selfish to many – it is important to remember that he likely perceives the situation differently. He probably believes that he is more entitled to having his needs met then those whose needs or beliefs he deems to be less important.
    This callous disregard for the rights and feels of others is best described as an anti-social personality. It was once called psychopaths or sociopathic personality and usually describes a personality that exploits others because they think their superiority justifies it. Mr. Ford’s behaviour may resonate with the symptoms of an antisocial personality, which are characterized by relationships based on dishonesty and deceit and an attraction to alcoholism, drug addiction, sexual deviation, promiscuity, and imprisonment.
    I can identify with Mr. Ford’s attempt to hide his self-created chaos as well as his admitted sense of shame. It is alarmingly easy to disassociate oneself from supportive friends and family when confronted. After all, we are all conditioned by our culture and not being able to get one’s own world onto an even keel can be difficult for any man to accept.
    Although it is impossible for me to offer any personal insight into Mr. Ford’s situation, I feel that it is helpful to look at his destructive behaviour through the prism of a mental health issue. This perspective may help to explain why Mr. Ford seems to have gone out of his way to make a mess of his life. We make a mistake, however, to dismiss him on this basis. We must learnt, as a compassionate society, to also look at Mr. Ford as a product of a culture which enables destructive behaviour. Mr. Ford is not the exception but rather an often invisible, but ever-present part of our ‘fragmented’ society.
    Mr. Ford’s public condemnation has not provided much insight into the issues behind his personal plight or, perhaps more importantly, allowed all of us to recognize that we live in and are an integral part of a sociopathic-susceptible culture. Perhaps, if Mr. Ford receives professional help there might be a way for him to gain some perspective on his condition and perhaps we might gain some insight into the destructive nature of our culture.

November 18, 2013 at 7:06 am | Reply
  7. Andrew

And I thought OUR mayor (San Diego) was an embarrassment to the office..this guy takes the cake!

November 18, 2013 at 6:06 am | Reply
    • Sk

I live in Toronto and This doesn't effect me. Yes all of those great things he has done for the city does effect me. I usually don't vote however I will make sure I do next year for Rob Ford. Sooner or later media will get tired of this and will find someone else to focus on. I don't understand why is US media so interested in Canada. I guess there isn't any hot juicy scandal in US that they had to go other country.

November 18, 2013 at 8:06 am | Reply
    • Jose79845

Most or all politicians are corrupt, it's refreshing to see one who tells the truth.

November 18, 2013 at 8:45 am | Reply