Humanitarian workers and military troops from around the world have converged on the Eastern Philippines, racing against time to rescue and feed those devastated by the storm as the Philippine government defends its efforts to deliver aid. CNN's Ivan Watson reports.
A mother mourns the deaths of children who slipped from her grasp. A father says he's contemplated suicide. A family prepares to rebuild.
A week after Typhoon Haiyan tore through the Philippines, the adrenaline-fueled response to the storm and its aftermath have faded from the streets of Tacloban. Now, the grim realities of daily life have taken its place.
Juvelyn Taniega is trying to keep busy. She's collected old dishes and is cleaning them up, crouching on the ground near the spot where her home once stood and the place where she last saw her husband and six children alive.
She's found the bodies of three of her children, but three of them are still missing. In days, she said, no one has come to help.
"My children are decomposing," she said.
In other parts of the storm-ravaged city, help has arrived. Trucks carry food. Crews clean up debris. Workers line up bodies to be identified by families who've been searching for their loved ones.
The horror is everywhere thanks to what was Super Typhoon Haiyan when it came ashore a week ago ago, packing winds 3.5 times as strong as Hurricane Katrina, pushing in a wall of water 15 feet high and washing away towns on many islands.
The official nationwide death toll from the typhoon had increased to 2,360 by Friday morning. Other reports suggested the toll could be far higher, with thousands feared dead in Tacloban alone.
The deadly storm left more than 3,850 injured and at least 77 people reported missing across the Philippines, officials said.
Reaching all the victims and assisting the survivors - including more than 2 million people in need of food, according to the Philippines government - are both priorities now.
CNN’s Anderson Cooper has been reporting live from the Philippines all week, where he and other reporters have been criticized for their coverage by broadcasters there and the Philippine president, who asked the media to focus on stories that show "how strong the Filipino people are."
Cooper responded last night on “AC360,” saying on the contrary, he has reported the awe-inspiring strength he and his team have witnessed in the people there, "and we honor them with ever broadcast that we do."
SEE ANDERSON COOPER'S LATEST REPORT HERE:
Toronto's City Council is introducing a motion Friday to strip Mayor Rob Ford of some of his powers as he insisted he would not resign despite the endless stream of revelations about his drinking and drug habits.
The proposal follows yet another a day of shocking behavior during which Ford denied that he pressured a female employee for oral sex in an obscenity-laced statement on live television.
The Toronto City Council voted 37-5 on Wednesday to ask Ford to take a leave of absence, and most members turned their backs on him when he addressed their Thursday meeting, CNN's Nic Robertson reports.
Ford's brother Doug, a city council member, is urging him to take a leave of absence, a council source told CNN on condition of anonymity. The source did not want to be identified.
The city council, meanwhile, has scheduled a special meeting on Monday to consider a motion to delegate duties not assigned by statute to the mayor. If approved, the motion would strip Ford of most of his duties.
Among other things the motion calls for reallocating the operating budget of the office of the mayor to the city clerk, according the council's agenda published online.
But in a new twist, Canada's Sun News Network announced that Ford and his brother Doug will begin hosting their own TV show on Monday. The show, "Ford Nation," picks up where the two brothers left off on a talk radio show that ended its run last week, the network said on its website.
A headline on that site posed the question, "Canada's Ultimate Reality Show?" And it quoted Doug Ford saying, "Rob is like Howard Stern or Rush Limbaugh" and "You just never know what he is going to say."
"Mayor Ford seems to be in a no-holds-barred mode," the network said. "There is no filter. There is no careful treading."
Critics of Sun News Network have described its conservatism as "Fox News North," according to a story about its launch in 2011 by the Toronto Globe and Mail.
Ford also recently confessed to having purchased illegal drugs in the past two years, while he was in office. But he has steadfastly refused to step down, saying the voters of Canada's largest city should decide his fate in 2014.
The latest allegations surfaced Wednesday in more than 500 pages of court documents that police used to get a search warrant for Alexander Lisi, Ford's friend and occasional driver, whom police accuse of marijuana possession and trafficking.
Ford responded Thursday morning by threatening legal action against former staffers who claimed the mayor brought a woman appearing to be an escort to his office and drank alcohol while driving. The documents include police interviews with former staff members, information obtained from surveillance crews and cameras, and even an examination of the mayor's garbage.
Denzil Minnan-Wong, a Councilor for the City of Toronto calls these allegations disturbing, adding to them yesterday's incident in front of the mayor's office, when Mayor Ford used what the councilor calls "very vulgar language that was beyond what any of us could expect.” (SEE VIDEO BELOW)
Minnan-Wong says, “It suggests to me that the mayor needs to resign for his good and for the good of the city of Toronto. He needs to put the city of Toronto first, and he needs to get help.”
If Mayor Ford does not resign, Minnan-Wong says he prefers that the provincial government of Ontario, "the Premier step in and initiate legislation to have him removed.”
A pilot's mayday distress call sent rescuers scrambling to an area near Miami on Thursday to search for a passenger who reportedly fell out of a small plane, CNN's Alina Machado reports.
"He opened the back door and he just fall down the plane," the pilot said, according to a recording of his conversation with air traffic controllers.
The pilot said he was flying at 1,800 feet about two miles from the shore when the man fell on Thursday afternoon.
Miami-Dade police spokesman Javier Baez described the search as a recovery mission, saying it was unlikely the man could survive a fall from that height.
The search was temporarily called off Thursday night and is expected to resume Friday at daybreak.
Authorities did not release the 47-year-old pilot's name or the identity of the man believed to be missing.
A police spokeswoman said it was unclear whether the man accidentally fell out of the plane or deliberately jumped.
The Piper PA-46 - a private plane - went on to land safely at Kendall-Tamiami Executive Airport, the Federal Aviation Administration said. Baez declined to say whether the owner of the plane was on the flight.
Investigators were questioning the pilot at the airport. Homicide detectives, who are involved in all death investigations, also responded, Miami-Dade Police spokeswoman Sgt. Robin Pinkard said.
The pilot first told air traffic controllers that a door was open on the plane, then added that a passenger had fallen out.
"I have a door ajar," he said, "and a passenger that fell down."