October 17th, 2013

Brutal Pennsylvania Bus Beating Caught On Tape

Another brutal school bus beating last Wednesday is caught on tape in Pennsylvania.

It starts with two students being relentlessly taunted onboard a van ride home as one of the agitators suddenly punches the 17-year-old Dylan Fonner in the face resulting in a bloody nose and three chipped teeth.

Two teens have been charged after the disturbing video went viral, CNN's Pamela Brown reports.

Pennsylvania state law requires bus drivers to pullover and call 911 for help or report the incident to authorities in an expeditious timeframe.

Though this driver allegedly did nothing and the incident wasn't initially reported to police.

On Tuesday, the district attorney charged two of the 16-year-old aggressors with aggravated assault, simple assault, terroristic threats and related crimes.  They will not be charged as adults.

CNN's Chris Cuomo spoke with Dylan's mom, Jackee Fonner, about her thoughts on the punishment of the teens and the bus driver's alleged inaction.

Fonner says it's important that the abusers have been charged because they need 'to realize that they're not going to get away with it... Kids will be kids, teenage boys fight, I understand that. But they sucker punched my son.  But my biggest issue is with the bus driver... He was the adult in the situation and I mean I just can't believe that he did absolutely nothing."

SEE FULL INTERVIEW

Posted by
Filed under: News • Videos
  1. pissed off

It's about time these Parents are held responsible for there child'x action, then we will see if these beatings stop. And Fire all the bus drivers that don't do their jobs.

October 18, 2013 at 10:08 pm | Reply
  2. Ioana

These are not kids, these are animals

October 18, 2013 at 5:28 pm | Reply
  3. Kaushik

I agree ,parents of such kids must be charged and punished.

October 18, 2013 at 9:37 am | Reply
    • Quentin T.

The parents will be charged in a civil court

October 19, 2013 at 1:27 am | Reply
  4. Mat

Busy parents/ absentee parents seldom raise good mannered and respectful children. It takes parent's good example and plenty of love and respect to bring up good kids.

October 18, 2013 at 2:14 am | Reply
  5. Jamie

sad, People always point the finger at someone else but the ones actually responsible for the crime. This TEEN is old enough to know better, he is most likely a junior or senior . If people would just RAISE there children instead of let them run like wild @$$ heathens we wouldn't have such a problem. IT ISN'T CHILD ABUSE if your child is actin a fool. WOOP THEM when needed and as they grow they wont be @$$ holes ! I see alot of little @$$ hole teens I wouldn't mind woopin my damn self or maybe even there IDIOT parents!! be responsible for what you raise and send out into the community and filling our JAILS !!!

October 17, 2013 at 9:24 pm | Reply
  6. RD

Let kids fight back. Half the time, victims are (rightly) scared of being expelled for defending themselves. Fight back, and bullies lose interest. Personal experience, and I'm a 5-foot-tall little girl who was smaller back then and picked on by some big guys. Maybe you'll get your ass kicked, but people don't like a "victim" that puts up a fight.

October 17, 2013 at 7:34 pm | Reply
  7. Ruby two

Our country has two types of kids now. Bullies and sissies. In this case the bus driver was the sissy.

October 17, 2013 at 5:34 pm | Reply
  8. Jet Jockey

I think the parents of the students who cause the incident should be charged. Parents need to get more involved in their childrens lives and hold them accountable.

October 17, 2013 at 5:10 pm | Reply
    • Steam Punk

I completely agree. If the kids did the crime, the parents do the time. They should also pay for medical costs, at the very least.

October 17, 2013 at 5:47 pm | Reply
    • Clayton

That's incredibly naïve. Kids make stupid choices. All the time. Regardless of their up-bringing. To make a judgment of parents characters or parental choices based on the moral compass of a teenager that you watched on a 20 second video is just.... frustrating,

October 17, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Reply
  9. Susan

35 years ago, I hated high school, I was bullied and followed home for the full 4 years by two girls because my mom was an elementary school teacher and they hated her because she made them earn their grades, they couldn't pick on her so they picked on me. And to boot my dad was sick with HD and was extremely violent and abusive, so everyday I had to go to school to get away from his abuse only to have to deal with these 2 girls. If I had gone home and reported them I would have been blamed and punished so it was a no win situation. Years later when I became a successful chef I met the parents of one of the bullies and they proceeded to brag about how well she was doing. When I did not respond the father said, "I take it you don't remember her." I looked at him and said, "I will never forget your daughter or the 4 years she made my life miserable by bullying and following me home everyday after school. I forgive her for not knowing better but will never forget." I never did see her parents again. I will say I consider myself lucky, because of everything I went through I could have come out very angry or on drugs or alcohol but I did not, I put my frustration into a very successful career of over 30 years and I am very proud of the life I have. Do I go to high school reunions? Absolutely not, I have no desire to visit the past. I understand what it is to be abused both physically and emotionally and I don't wish it on anyone. In today's world where everyone is posting everything these young people are ruining their lives, they may not get what they deserve but in the long run, everything posted to the internet stays on the internet and some employers are googling people. Some choices stay to haunt you forever, others no so much...

October 17, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Reply
  10. Mike

I think its hilarious that those boys think their all tough and guess what, their going to be crying at the court hearing. Look at me i pick on people because im not secure with myself. Its pathetic...

October 17, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Reply
  11. Samantha

How do we make this stop? We can't! However, we can lessen the incidents by treating these adult crimes like what they are. If these people think they will get by with a slap on the wrist, they won't care, if they think they'll spend time in jail, less people will act like this!

October 17, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Reply
  12. Ashley Bowen

Charge these idiot kids as adults like they do in every other state with laws like this. A "zero tolerance" policy in our schools is not enough to curb bullying and violence. This whole idea of "kids will be kids" is a bunch garbage when those kids become teenagers, and start thinking more like adults. As for the busdriver: for shame! You must be punished. You didn't do your job.

October 17, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Reply
  13. Editor

Until school officials equip their bus drivers better, things like this will continue to spiral out of control. Why were no officials called?

Also:
    Really CNN? Incomplete sentences and missing punctuation? It's the internet, get it together.

October 17, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Reply
  14. Frank

Someone did that to my kids, I'm going to their house with my gun. Bad parents are behind this.

October 17, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Reply
  15. wutzthedeal

Throw the stupid animals in jail. Ignorant asses.

October 17, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  16. Nick O

The comments on this story are ridiculous! You all realize that it was two teenagers that beat that kid up. Can you blame the driver for not getting involved? Look at the size of the two perpetrators! And then to say that it's the parents fault? No. The blame lies squarely on the kids. Don't try and pass it off as the parents, or the driver or the school.

October 17, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Reply
    • Judy Boncaro

Maybe you can't blame the driver for not getting involved, but you can certainly blame the driver for not doing what the law required: pull over and call 911. And you can blame the driver for not reporting this incident.

October 17, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Reply
    • Megan Jones

Yes, the teens who were doing the punching were big. However, the bus driver is at fault when it comes to not following the law of pulling over and calling 911. Nor did he/she report the attack later. He/She should be in trouble for that aspect of the incident.

October 17, 2013 at 8:46 pm | Reply
  17. denice hess

That Bus driver needs to BE FIRED PERIOD.....and ASAP!!!!!!!

October 17, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Reply
    • Bus driver

I am a bus driver and I will not get in the middle of highschoolers fight I don't want to get my self hurt and if you touch someone's child you can be sued I will pull over call the police.

October 17, 2013 at 9:17 pm | Reply
  18. Joe B

Unfortunately bullying is part of society. Kids and people have been bullied for as long as man has existed. It continues to exist because of our hypocrisy, selfishness, self centeredness and greed. The bus driver could have intervened but then he would have put himself in jeopardy of being charged and arrested or disciplined for putting his hands onto someone's little angel.

You can't just lock kids up like adults. You can't just toss the problem into the trash can. The problem is that they have a lack of discipline. Someone has to love them enough to teach them right from wrong. We have too many parents who neglect to raise their children. You can't make up for ignoring your child's emotional and developmental needs by spoiling them later.

October 17, 2013 at 9:13 am | Reply
    • Susan

I agree. This generation is unleashed on the world and no one is held accountable. I have always said, that when you do something to someone else you are saying it is okay to do to you. I am not looking forward to seeing the next generation...

October 17, 2013 at 3:20 pm | Reply
    • Sallly Ride

I always get a kick out of guys like you who make these uneducated grand statements about humanity or social contracts or "man". "Bullying" is far from a "normal part of society that has been around since man existed" (Last time I checked BTW man still exists.) Bullying is a very new behavior in the evolution of humankind. I do however think parenting, or lack there of is many times is a large contributing factor. And please people, don't throw in the stupid "Absentee Father" crap either. Statistics show in many cases bullies actually learn the behavior or are a victim of the behavior they project by their Father or male authority figure at home. No excuse as far as I am concerned. Bus driver should have immediately pulled over, called 911 and then the school. School notifies parents that junior ape is spending some time in a holding cell.

October 17, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  19. heidi C

Whomever, made the decision NOT to report this incident SHOULD be the RESPONSIBLE for no disclosing the incident. 2 teens beat another child???!!!!! The bus driver could have been a woman, and older person and they could have been harmed, too, I understand that. However; the bus driver, has to have some kind of protocol, or obligation to CALL their supervisor and 'notify' them of the incident! The fault that these kids behave like they do are the PARENTS! today, all they do is provide, food, clothes, home and they do not TEACH values, morals and a conscience. These parents seem to think that kids are BORN with it in their DNA- NOT SO! Now, they are going to defend their kids and NO CONSEQUENCES TO THEIR BEHAVIOR! Prosecute them to the fullest extend of the law!!!! The person that decided not to have this reported should get a written-up (warning) in their file.

October 17, 2013 at 8:57 am | Reply
  20. pj

40 yrs ago I suffered daily from bullying – the name calling and relentless harrassement followed me from 7th grade to 12th grade. And its interesting that they say they miss me at the reunions. The pain they caused me changed me forever. It was a small town in SW Michigan. I couldn't focus, rarely completed my homework, my parents just thought I was not applying myself but I was so depressed I wanted to die. I fantasized about killing because my dad had firearms and everything was available to me. I wanted to kill those who I grew up with then turned on me and those who didn't know me but took great pleasure in seeing my pain. The pain was indescribable... I was an attractive, not beautiful but certainly not unattractive girl from a good family. My intelligence higher than average and I had a lot of pride. Everyday I had to hear it and keep quiet. My salvation came after I dropped out of college, got a high paying job, moved away where no one new me, and made amazing wonderful friends who were successful, and thought I was a pretty amazing friend. But the pain still lingers when I see them on FB and they act like nothing ever happened. And it lingers in my memories, also. But one day the pain will end.

October 17, 2013 at 8:55 am | Reply
    • Juan

I certainly hope so. For your sake, not theirs. You've been through a lot in your youth, and obviously made good decisions that followed. I really hope you find an end to the pain of those memories. I think you deserve it. 😉

October 17, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Reply
  21. sherman

I drove a bus of behaviorally challenged boys every day. First of all my kids NEVER were allowed on a school bus. ever. second, I can barf at will. its a terrible threat to pre teen boys to have to worry about the bus driver vomiting on them. -

October 17, 2013 at 8:50 am | Reply
  22. Just So

I know this will get removed:

The school district is overwhelmingly black. No media outlet is reporting the fact that the perpetrators are black. If the races were reversed, it would be a major news story and the media would be screaming “racially motivated white on black hate crime mob beating.”

The initial sucker punch was videotaped. You can hear other black passengers egg the attacker on and then cheer. The victim then asks the bus driver to let him off the bus. The driver refuses. After that, two more black perpetrators join in and continue to attack the victim as well as a second white victim.

October 17, 2013 at 8:38 am | Reply
    • Mike

No you have a strong point. Race is something we wish we can look past but you're right.

October 17, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Reply
    • Elle

Why are you bringing up race? White kids and black kids bully one another. I was raised in a mostly white town, and I saw things like this happen between WHITE KIDS too. Stop race baiting.

October 17, 2013 at 2:48 pm | Reply
    • lovely

You can see clearly the one who punch the kid is not black. Liar!

October 17, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Reply
  23. guest

have travel be privatized. then the school would not be responsible.

October 17, 2013 at 8:22 am | Reply
  24. John

From what I got out of the article it sounds like 2 boys beat the bus up while the driver watched. A bus has feeling too!

October 17, 2013 at 8:18 am | Reply
  25. Rob wills

Cannot charge kids as adults. They are kids. think about your frame of mind at a young age. i was always worried about the repracussions i would receive at home for any out burst like ths. i raised two boys on my own. never had this problem. The adults not controlling there kids are responsible . I agree that either the schools need to put an extra adult truant officer on the bus as a partimer or let the bus driver have the authority to at least break the beating up.
    They must be also held responsible for reporting the kids involved.

October 17, 2013 at 8:17 am | Reply
    • Susan

Kids today are not being raised with 'your actions have consequences." They think they are entitled and no one is telling them different.

October 17, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Reply
  26. Chrissy Smith

Charge teens as adults or make the laws stiffer for teens who think it's ok to do this kind of stuff. It's scary to think these kids grow up to be adults who act this way.

As for the bus driver- yes I believe the bus should have been stopped and the incident reported right then and there. But I would not go as far as to say fire the bus driver. Bus drivers have a huge job to do just driving safely. They shouldn't have to babysit too. There should be monitors on the bus- and I don't mean someone who is older or frail. But someone who has authority to have the bus stopped, call police or 911 and have the kids escorted from the bus and the incident reported through the police. Let their parents pick them up from the police station and sign the papers and go through whatever process they would need to go through after charges are filed by the school district.

October 17, 2013 at 8:08 am | Reply
  27. jacqueline Gifford

Charge the bus driver for Failure to stop and render aid , like any other citizen. Too much bulling allowed in the schools,
    public and private. Private scholls are not held accountable for any attacks WHY? ALL SCHOOLS, whether on or off
    campus should berresponsible for keeping our children safe, if not why entrust them with these innocents. Is this the US. do we still care about the welfare of our children or do we let them grow up thinking that violence is the norm, so
    they will beat up a smaller child too. . SAD

October 17, 2013 at 7:20 am | Reply
  28. Flatsguide

Charge the attackers like adults for doing adult crimes, expell them from all county and state schools for a minimum of 5 years.. Fire any busdriver that allows this to happen, and charge them to being an accessory during the attack.

October 17, 2013 at 6:47 am | Reply
    • josh

I understand the desire to get rid of the trouble makers.. exiling them to another district will not solve the problem. Kicking them out of school will not solve the problem. There needs to be a solution that continues their education while rendering appropriate punishment for the attack.

October 17, 2013 at 8:30 am | Reply
      • Earnest T Bass

Letting them to continue their education while they continue to harass? RIGHT. Where are your values? I bet You still have that bumper sticker on your car "My Kid beat up your Eagle Scout " Put these thugs in a place where it can be dished out on them, Let that be a lesson they can learn.

October 17, 2013 at 10:09 am |
    • billy p

do not forget to charge the parents for neglect. they fell to raise their kids with any manners and respect.

October 17, 2013 at 8:34 am | Reply
    • Kaushik

Also charge and punish parents of such kids.

October 18, 2013 at 9:39 am | Reply