October 16th, 2013

One-On-One With Robert Redford

Actor Robert Redford is starring in the critically-acclaimed new movie "All Is Lost," which many could say is a metaphor for the U.S. government.

The performer has a lot to say about the situation in Washington right now and says race has a lot to do with the partisan gridlock. CNN's Nischelle Turner reports.

On the political drama playing out in Washington, Redford says:

"There are other issues there, it's not just racism. I think it's a group of people that are so afraid of change, and they're so narrow minded, that some people when they see change coming get so threatened by change, they get angry, and they get terrorized, and then they get vicious. Those are – I think that's who these people are. They're so afraid of change they're behaving miserably."

In part two of the interview, Redford says he hopes for change with a new generation and with women in politics.

"I think the future should belong more to women. And young people. And I think the young people today who are just coming into age, give them the reigns. I think they can do better than we have."

Posted by
Filed under: Entertainment • News • Videos
  1. Tom

Redford's occasional left-wing comments, I take with a grain of salt. I could stump him with couple of questions about the REAL history of slavery, from the very beginning to the present. This history is one the best documented eras in the history of the World! The Portuguese and Spanish ivory traders kept immaculate Ship's Logs on a daily basis. Most of these logs still exist and are readily accessible. How slavery began is a blank slate to most Americans, including Redford. Also, "racism" today is extremely rare. It is mostly used by left wing "race baiters." And for Political gain.

October 17, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Reply
  2. Doc

Redford is riight!

A bunch of old racist Tea Bagger inbreds from states like Georgiia, Kentucky, Alabama, and Missiissippi, are controlling the economic destiny of this country.

Ironically, none of these Tea Bagger states contribute to the national economy, and are nat takers of Federal dollars. It would take some cojones on the part of the Dems, but someone needs to call their bluff.

October 16, 2013 at 2:42 pm | Reply
    • Richard Clark

Redford is the Racist, can't you see that. He is just like all the other Hollywoodd crowd who are stupid enough to think that they know more than the populous.

October 17, 2013 at 9:32 pm | Reply
  3. Malissa Marsden

I believe that the shift to a broader based Congress would go a long way to ending these "boys" playing their games at the expense of so many.
    When I was a freshman in college my favorite tee shirt said "2% alright for milk not the Senate"
    Now women are 20% and leading the charge for an ending. Of course who is "in Congress" matters and there are still too many white males and not enough diversity

October 16, 2013 at 1:40 pm | Reply
  4. Mike

Why is it that the progressives are always desiring to have the government run every aspect of their lives? They are so confused and twisted and blame the opposing side for everything when they don't get their way. Take abortion; woman's right to choose, government must stay out of the bedroom. Take Obamacare, must fund anything I feel I want done, sex change, birth control, breast enlargements, etc. I thought you wanted the government to stay out of your private lives? Kutos to Robert Reford, are you kidding me? How about Jane Fonda, were is the praise for someone that met with the enemy during the Vietnam war and caused numerous prisoners to be punished further or even to the point of death because of her actions. Give me a freaking break; the problems in Washington are not due to racist ism or the color of anyone's skin. It's due to the fact we are spending more money than we could possibly afford while borrowing money from what used to be our enemies as historically low interest rates. Who is going to pay for all these perks the progressives have passed? Who is going to pay for all the loans taken out to pay for these perks? Our children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. Wake up America and put a stop to this insane government.....

October 16, 2013 at 11:45 am | Reply
  5. Nancy

Where is the full interview? He so nailed what is going on! "They" would rather send this country down the toilet in their efforts to discredit The President of the United States!! I applaud President Obama for not backing down to extortion! And I applaud the Affordable Care Act. If the Republicans spent half of this effort trying to make this work, rather than trying to make it fail, we would be home free! Kudos Robert Redford!!

October 16, 2013 at 10:17 am | Reply
    • TeamCNNCNN

Hi, Nancy,
      Here is part one: http://newday.blogs.cnn.com/2013/10/16/one-on-one-with-robert-redford/
      Part two is included above.

Happy #NewDay!