August 14th, 2013
11:44 AM ET

Doctors Add 15-Year-Old to Transplant List

One teenager in Atlanta has just had a dramatic change of fortune.

“Fifteen-year-old Anthony Stokes will die if he doesn't get a new heart in the next six months,” reports CNN's Senior Medical Correspondent Elizabeth Cohen.

But doctors at the Children’s Health Care of Atlanta also denied him a spot on the transplant list last week. Backlash followed, and only then did the hospital reverse course.

According to a letter provided to CNN by a family spokesman, doctors had said Anthony was “not a transplant candidate due to having a history of non-compliance.”

But the family said there was nothing to show a history of Anthony being non-compliant with doctor’s orders.

“The family thinks they didn't want to give Anthony a heart because he has low grades and was briefly in juvenile detention because of a fight defending his younger brother,” Cohen reports.

“News of the rejection drew national attention.”

By late Monday, the family says the hospital changed their decision.

Cohen reports, “Anthony is now on the transplant list, they say, and is awaiting a new heart.”

While the hospital didn’t confirm this, it did say, “Our physician experts are continuing to work with this family to establish a care plan and determine the best next steps for the patient.”

Posted by
Filed under: Health • Uncategorized • Videos
soundoff (One Response)

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.