August 12th, 2013
09:41 AM ET

Woman Saves Kids from Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

In today's edition of the "Good Stuff" – 20 kids are alive today thanks to the quick thinking of one woman.

Taki Starkes-Parish runs a day care in Jacksonville, FL. She recently arrived at the day care, caught the whiff of something odd, something she called a "sweet burning" odor. She went hunting for it and couldn't find it. Then the critical move: she asked her staff if any of the kids, who were napping at the time, acting strangely that day? One of the staffers said yes, she thought one of the kids was groggy.

That was enough for Taki who cleared out the day care and called the authorities. When they arrived, they found carbon monoxide levels way way off the charts. 12 of the kids were admitted to the hospital, but if it wasn't for Taki, they might have died.

It turns out that the smell was the exhaust of a generator next door that had been left on by accident, but carbon monoxide doesn't  smell. It is a warning to all of us – invest in a carbon monoxide detector.

If you have #GoodStuff news, let us know! Leave a comment, post on Facebook, or tweet to @ChrisCuomo & @NewDay using #NewDay.

Posted by
Filed under: The Good Stuff • Videos
soundoff (2 Responses)
  1. peter

    Carbon Monoxide
    Carbon Monoxide Detector
    Carbon Monoxide Detector for Home Safety
    carbon monoxide poisoning

    December 22, 2013 at 3:37 am | Reply

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.