July 29th, 2013

Seaworld Video Causes Uproar Online

A fun filled day at SeaWorld turned into a disturbing scene for many patrons when a young pilot whale floundered helplessly for nearly a half an hour despite pleas from the crowd for an employee to help.

Caught on video, it’s sparking an outrage online.

“The whale is eventually helped and ultimately was not harmed,” reports CNN’s Nischelle Turner. (WATCH TOP VIDEO)

“According to a SeaWorld spokeswoman, pilot whales come out on the ledge all the time, usually getting back in to the pool by themselves. It's the younger ones like the one in this video that they say haven't quite mastered the technique.”

SeaWorld released this statement to CNN saying, “I want to reassure you, the whale was never in danger. The safety and health of the animals in our care are among our highest priorities.”

But the video posted to YouTube comes right after the release of a new documentary that criticizes the practices at SeaWorld.

Turner says “Blackfish” cites other terrifying incidents at the park, accusing SeaWorld of putting profit before safety.

SeaWorld responded to Blackfish in this statement to CNN: “…the film fails to mention SeaWorld's commitment to the safety of its team members and guests and to the care and welfare of its animals…"

Former SeaWorld trainer John Hargrove, who took part in the film, is also critical of the park's practices. But he says “physically, the animal is not in danger in that scenario.” (WATCH VIDEO)

He says they can stay slid out for hours at a time.

“However, with that being said, the animal is definitely in distress,” Hargrove says. “And because of that, the trainers should make every move they can to get that animal back into the water as quick as fast as they can.”

"Blackfish" airs on CNN in the fall.

Posted by
Filed under: Big Conversation • Internets • Social • Videos
  1. モンブラン ボールペン おすすめ

Seaworld Video Causes Uproar Online – New Day – CNN.com Blogs モンブラン ボールペン おすすめ http://www.pslcbi.com/montblanc.html

November 30, 2013 at 6:21 am | Reply
  2. Mrs. Morgan

One more thing, Tilikum is so home sick and miserable that its really time to set him completely free

October 31, 2013 at 1:29 am | Reply
  3. Mrs. Morgan

I recorded blackfish and watched it The reason that the back fin hangs down is because they are depressed The more it hangs the more depressed they become.They don't know what they are anymore and they do not know what we are. They are probably trying to figure out what they did to deserve what has been happening to them.These wales are not were they belong. Tillicome Gets deprived all the time of his penis which more then likely makes him fell violated just like we would if the shoe was on the other foot. The longer they are kept they see no end in site. These wales are in prison and for what reason. I wounder how the owners of these wales would like it if someone did this to them for there own greedy demise. The say that these sea animals are not harmed but they are hurting in an unimaginable way. It is a brutal abuse Mentally and emotionally. If they have opened there eyes then its time for them to open there heart. I think that it should be illegal for anyone in the world to own an orca or to even hunt them. They need to be sent free and then left alone.

October 31, 2013 at 1:08 am | Reply
  4. Laura

Time for the Seas stock to take a dive. People should look into seeing if their portfolio has any seas shares. We as consumers, and investors need to be well educated that we don't inadvertently support companies with immoral behavior.

October 27, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Reply
  5. melanie

a very important documentary, there is too much disturbing things to talk about it all, so i'm going to focus on the lies. they live longer in captivity (lie), they are happy and want to do tricks (lie), the man who breached sea world fence and died in tillys tank died from drowning (lie), dawn was killed because of trainer error ( lie), and after I heard from jack hanna that captivity is the best way to study them is laughable, obviously the best way is in the wild where they are totally free and can show how they interact, feed, and speak and stay with the family. and jack if that is true why not capture grey whales or sperm whales or humpback whales, is it maybe because they are too big or won't be so easy to train. sea world didn't comment because they could never defend the lies. last thing I want to say is I was so shocked with what jack hanna said that I think because he actually lied he had to have been paid by sea world. SHAME SHAME

October 27, 2013 at 1:45 am | Reply
  6. Cheryl Chase

I think it's a bunch of crap sea world saying that they care about these whales. If they did they would find a way to put them in cove where they could be a lot happier. But that is not going to happen because it's all about the money.

October 26, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Reply
  7. Gayla Mc

I too went to SeaWorld because I love animals and wanted to swim with the dolphins. We also went to see the Shamu show. What beautiful creatures. I never knew how intelligent and socially complex these creatures are until I watched the film Blackfish. What an eye opener! I guess ignorance is bliss. Thanks to the movie Blackfish I am no longer ignorant. I cry when I think about Tilikum being taken away from his mother as a baby and put into captivity for the past 30 years. It is heartbreaking that these huge animals are kept in a small pool their entire lives so that SeaWorld can make billions of dollars. Shame on SeaWorld! . Tilikum deserves to be placed in a marine sanctuary where he can live out his remaining years in peace. We should all boycott SeaWorld.

October 26, 2013 at 7:59 am | Reply
  8. Cheryl W.

Webster's College Dictionary 1991 definition of cap-tiv-i-ty – the state or period of being held, imprisoned, enslaved, kept in confinement or restraint ; kept within bounds, catching or gaining control by force. SeaWorld's cruel and inhumane treatment of Tilikum for some 25 years must stop immediately. Release Tilikum to a Sea Sanctuary . It's time to set him free after all he's done for SeaWorld. Do the right thing.

October 26, 2013 at 2:34 am | Reply
  9. Lana

It is time to end animal exploitation.

October 26, 2013 at 12:24 am | Reply
  10. Nancy Chartier

My children were born in Orlando and I took them to see the magnificent orcas before their Dad passed away not knowing the deceit Seaworld obviously hides from the public. Never would I ever take them again!

I'd love to know the percentage from profit Seaworld spends on conservation, rescue and science exploration on these mammals versus executives and investors take from entertainment? What do you think 90/10 or 10/90?

October 25, 2013 at 11:48 am | Reply
  11. Chris

Very moving documentary. Shame on Sea World, whale catchers, & on taking the babies away from mothers. The most dangerous animal in the world: humans.

October 25, 2013 at 2:00 am | Reply
  12. Carol

Zoos can be beneficial for animals if they have been saved from a bad situation and they're given plenty of space and care and people can have the pleasure of seeing them in a natural setting, but Orcas should not be captured, separated from their families, put in a tiny pool and made to "performed" for us. It's not a way to teach and show people, children, what killer whales are about. I don't care what some so-called experts and guests on the following programs want to push. Of course Sea World makes a lot of money.

October 24, 2013 at 11:34 pm | Reply
  13. joan bish

20 years ago I was taken to Sea World as a surprise and that it was. I stood there listening to the cries of the dolphins, and I couldn't take it. You have to be a total idoit not to know a cry of a depressed animal in pain due to captivity. I left the park in tears, I could not stop crying even though I was out of the show arena, sitting on a bench, I could still hear their cries.Their spirit is wounded broken, from being in thoes tanks . My advise to anyone is to NEVER attend Sea World. or aquariums of any kind. Do it the right way save your money, and go too there home in the wild you will not be disappointed.

October 24, 2013 at 11:19 pm | Reply
  14. Jane Robinson

Kudos to David Kirby-for breaking the story! http://www.takepart.com/article/2013/07/24/seaworld-shows-beached-whale-youtube

July 29, 2013 at 6:10 pm | Reply