July 16th, 2013

Anderson Cooper Discusses Interview with Juror B37

The first member of the Zimmerman trial jury to speak publicly, a women identified as Juror B37, sat down in a CNN exclusive interview with Anderson Cooper on AC360 on Monday night.

This morning, Anderson Cooper stopped by "New Day" to discuss their conversation.

When the trial ended and Juror B37 was let out of sequester, the public attention on the trial was shocking for her.

"She says she really had no idea how big this case had become. How much interest there was in it..." says Cooper. "She's been really overwhelmed at the amount of interest in this case and just how many people are trying to pursue her, her family."

Prior to coming on AC360, Cooper met with her for two hours. She was crying just talking about the experience of going through the trial- it weighs on her very heavily, according to Cooper. She had planned on writing a book about the experience, but has since backed out because of public backlash.

When she reflects on the deliberation process in the jury room, and all the evidence before them, the jurors spent a great deal of time analyzing the interaction between George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin.

"They ended up focusing on just those last few seconds and minutes of the struggle, and did George Zimmerman fear for his life? And that's really what it boiled down to for them," says Cooper. "They never talked about race, not once, she says. She didn't consider it, she doesn't think any of the other jurors considered it."

newday anderson 7.16

For more of the interview, in-depth coverage of the George Zimmerman verdict and an AC360 Townhall: Race and Justice in America:

Watch AC360° at 8, 10, and 11 pm ET.

Posted by
Filed under: Exclusive • Headlines • Videos
  1. Ron May

I've got one question: Who,.. if they had just gotten their face punched in,and had someone on top of them trying to finish them off, by slamming their head into the concrete, would not have shot that person? ..regardless of how it started.
    Who would have just laid there, and gotten beat to death, rather than do whatever they had to survive. Who???
    sharpton?, obama? trayvons parents? anderson cooper? peirs morgan? who ... tell me who. This racial nonsense is being promoted by these so called journalists for one reason.. to make them richer. The only racism that I saw during the trial,was trayvon calling George Zimmerman " a creepy ass cracker" and nobody would go near that. Hey guess what
    a racial slur, is a racial slur. Tell me sharpton, cooper, morgan...what would you have done ?? Who would not have shot their assailant. WHO???

July 21, 2013 at 10:12 pm | Reply
    • Ivan Johnson

WHO stops their car and gets out to pursue a child pedestrian walking and talking on his phone – after being specifically instructed NOT to by the 911 operator? WHO?? WHO carries a gun while acting as a Neighborhood Watch captain? Tell me WHO? Trayvon Martin was not of legal age to carry his own gun – which would have at least placed him on an equal footing with the assailant George Zimmerman. So the end result is that it was and is illegal under Florida law for Martin to refuse to give up his life.

July 23, 2013 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  2. Devon

If Trayvon would have been white..... If George would have been black.... If If If....we don't know if or what would have happened. That is speculating. If I were rich, I would live like royalty. If, if was a skiff we would go for a boat ride. If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ***. If...there are many if's...that does not make it so.

July 19, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Reply
  3. Devon

I have also noticed that if any one is black and states the obvious when it is happens to be against another black, they are labeled an uncle Tom or some other derogative name. The code of ethics are ' never go against your race" as well as "never take the side of the white person". The truth goes way beyond race. The truth has no color. People are people and should not be singled out because of their race nor should they be expected to take sides because it either.

July 19, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Reply
  4. Devon

When the president speaks about this generation, there have been many changes since then. People could sleep with their windows open, kids were not carrying guns to school and shooting students etc... the world and the people have indeed changed. Also a mother will not easily admit when her son is wrong. Even when a woman's son commits a crime she says "not my son" even though they are guilty. The fact is, there are many uncertainties about this case. Blaming a race because of the way things are now, is not a way to move forward. Everything is not about race and using this is a crutch and an excuse that shadows the true cause of an incident. It is easy to label a situation but unless the fault is seen truthfully, the root of the problem can never be addressed. Racism does not define mere accusation or direction of fault, it is the assumption that one's race is better than another. I have noticed that anything negative stated about someone black, becomes a racism accusation. We are all people and fault lies within us all however, this is not a matter of racism. Equality begins with an even playing field, not an elimination of blame because of being black.

July 19, 2013 at 3:55 pm | Reply
  5. Devon

When someone is asked or gives a description of a person, the first identifier would be to state either White, Black, Asian, Hispanic etc... This does not constitute racial profiling, it is part of a description. As for being on guard, I am on guard at anyone around me cos no one is going to rob me without a fight.

July 19, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Reply
  6. Dee Johns

Juror B37 needs to stop talking....the more she talks the more ignorant she sounds. Her overuse of the word "they" speaks volumes. She absolutely has some "us" and "them" issues. I understand that our justice system is one of the best, however, I do have a couple problems with it. #1 – the only person with any rights is the defendant, not the victim. #2 – It's not about "truth" because nothing can be said "inflammatory" about the defendant, such as, Zimmerman's past history of domestic violence, assaulting a police officer, losing a security job due to being overly aggresssive, it's a pattern of behavior and this jury thinks he's a mild-mannered, soft spoken choir boy; can't know about his hairline trigger, no pun intended. #3 – I'm disturbed that an ignorant person like this can be placed on a jury. I don't pretend to know the answer to all of these problems, but seems as though solutions should be explored.

July 19, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Reply
  7. LN

A Black guy and a Hispanic guy had altercation and one end up dead. Then people are blaming White people for racist. Humm...I don't understand. Could someone please explain it to me ?

July 19, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Reply
  8. msrachelucatori

Not only did I watch the Zimmerman Trial, but I also watched about 30 minutes of Anderson Cooper's interview with Juror #B37, and I felt she was a total Moran and very Delusional in her thinking. Every time he would ask her a yes or no question, she could not give a yes or no answer, but rather, every statement she made was in defense for George (Vigilante) Zimmerman. She, Juror#B37, even rode the fence back and forth, saying, “I thought he was guilty, but, only guilty of not using the right choices”, duh! To Juror #B37, I want to say to you, Isn't most killers like (G.Z.) who carry a ‘Huge Chip’ on their shoulder, are out for revenge, usually are not making the right choices, and in (G.Z.) case- it was revenge for his neighbor who got robbed- but as you put it "he was very caring for them".

I am caring too, for people in distress, but I don't go around carrying a 'Vendetta' of Suspicion with a Gun, while Creating the Right Circumstance, and Manipulating the event until the Vendetta is Carried OUT!!! I hope you read this and really think about what you have done and said! Also, think about this, if you had a son the age of Trayvon Martin, and he was stalked by a man relentlessly, in his own complex where he lived, stalked and manipulated into a corner, aggravated, perhaps even frightened till shoot in the heart. How would you live, knowing the Perpetrator (G.Z.) got off “Not Guilty”, because Juror #B37 felt (G.Z.) would not lie, because he was alive to share words in the video she saw, alive to show his face and make contact, alive to acknowledge and concoct a story, to say whatever he needed to say, to get off with Premeditated Murder, in which you (Juror #37) knowingly allowed Yourself and the Other Five Jurors to fall prey to, because you felt (G.Z.) “ Did Not Actually Break the Law…”…!

As for Trayvon Martin, who could not speak to defend himself, because he was shoot through the (Heart) for being where he was suppose to be, you felt a 17 year old boy should not have been afraid of (G.Z.) stalking him, you felt he did not have a right to be walking in the rain; by the way- for a kid to be walking in the rain is a piece of cake, and there is nothing unusual about that, but, yet when (G.Z) tells it, it becomes in your mind- ‘Truth’. George Zimmerman did not get back in the car that fatal night, because he was not afraid, you know why Juror #B37- because he had a gun and had been carrying a gun everyday, until he – Created the Right Circumstance, and Manipulated the Event until- His Vendetta was ‘Carried OUT’ !!!

I Rest My Case and Yours @ Juror # B37 R.M.T.

July 19, 2013 at 11:42 am | Reply
  9. Linnea

I keep wondering about the prosecution – during the trial were they listening to any of the thoughtful media commentary to perhaps get an insight of how the case was playing out to the public? A lot of what I heard, if it had been listened to would have helped them bring a better prosecution and perhaps a different outcome. Were there any African-Americans advising them? Why didn't they consult with people like Charles Blow or Jeffrey Canada? The overriding criticism now that the trial is over seems to be that a true representation of who Trayvon Martin was was never adequately presented. And that could have made all the difference.

On another note – rumors about Anderson Cooper moving to the Today Show – PLEASE DON"T! There's no way you could ever do really excellent in-depth reporting like you're doing on CNN on a fluffy show like Today.

July 19, 2013 at 11:05 am | Reply
  10. godwashere

i wish that juror had wrote her book so her name could be posted and someone could kick her [...].

1st:making money off a 17 year olds death writing a book

2nd:saying she didnt know the case was a big deal but gives an interview AND wants to write a whole book. She knew damn well it was a big deal and was going to make money.who the hell writes a book from a case that doesnt matter?

oj got found not guilty and went about his business(people think he did it).zimmerman got found not guilty and goes into hiding so fast his mom hasnt even got the chance to talk to him.no one finds this fishy?suspicious?grown man chases a kid with a gun.now on the streets hes running not after anyone but away from everyone.

July 19, 2013 at 5:37 am | Reply
  11. Jacklyn Boyd

I was watching interview with juror B37 and E54 and Anderson I know you know better and you know these jurors was not going to admit that this was about race. They knew it would look bad for George Zimmerman and they didn't want that because then they would have to find him guilty. After the trail was over when Juror B37 walked out of the doors and saw all of the protesters she said it looked just like Disney Land she knew then that she had better say it was not about race. I feel she was coached by her husband, who is an attorney not to agree that it was about race.
    Juror E54 watched T.V. for about 2 or 3 days and he knows he had better not come back and say it was about race.
    I was watching your expressions and I know by the look on your face that you did not believe them either. I watch your show everyday and I feel that I can read your expressions.

July 18, 2013 at 11:39 pm | Reply
  12. Soso Thomas

For the past three weeks I decided I wasn't going to comment on anything related to the GZ trial but after seeing the nonsense that has been going in this country after the verdict I think we, as a people, need to start educating ourselves instead of speaking and reacting like we don't have common sense. As an attorney who practice criminal defense and civil rights in Florida, it amazed me how shocked people have been when WE ARE responsible for the not guilty verdict like it or not. Before I moved the US, the notion of race was never an issue for me and unless someone mention it, I don't even think about it because I refuse to let a word define ME, who I am and what I do. I think it is about time the so called "civil rights leaders" STOP taking advantage of unfortunate event like the death of Travon Martin to be on TV in order to promote their personnel agenda and ideologies. For years they have been wrong with their rhetoric and it is about time they start being honest with themselves and the people they pretend to represent to address the real issues that people are facing. My heart goes out to the Martin family for their loss but I think some people should take a step back to revisit where this country has been in term of race issues. I remember last year after the "incident" I was on my couch praying that no one takes this case as an opportunity to misguide, manipulate, and use the African American Community as a bait to promote his or her agenda. Taking away all the emotions involved, once I realized the ones closed to this case pulled out the race card, I knew right then this case was OVER and a not guilty verdict will come sooner or later...

July 18, 2013 at 10:36 pm | Reply
  13. Millie

It seems to me that Mr. Zimmerman could be suffering of Schizophrenia, and in his delusion thought of himself as the neighborhood protector, also, that the boy was going for his gun. I think if the boy had seen him with a gun, would not had gotten close to him. He looks crazy to me. About the 911 call, where it is heard a person yelling for help, it sounds to me like if at some point the person says “ oh shit” and then the sound of a gunshot is heard. Well, I think if it is what I heard; it could be that the boy said so when he saw the other guy pulling a gun, and, if it was so, then Zimmerman lied. He should be given lie detector to see if it is true that it is him screaming for help. In his original declaration to the police does not seem to me that he says he was screaming for help at any time during the confrontation. Only when he is questioned he says it is him, of course, he wants to play the victim who had a good reason to kill.

July 18, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Reply
  14. KC

Why did Zimmerman follow Martin in the first place. Criminal activity in his neighborhood had happened previously. Based on what I have heard, the criminal activity was primarily done by young black men.
    I believe the crime rate in lower income black communities is higher than other communities, so maybe the black community leaders should also focus their efforts on helping reduce crime in the black community, then the profiling of potential criminals would change as well.
    I do not know if Zimmerman racially profiled Martin, but if there is crime in my neighborhood and it is being done by a people with a consistent look I will be more looking for these people more than another.

July 18, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Reply
  15. insuperable01

After watching the news, trial, and responses to the verdict I came to the conclusion that all this started with the prosecutor. I don't remember her name but the woman and her department are all to blame because 1) after the shooting they took so long to open a criminal case. She only opened a criminal case against Zimmerman after the nation became outraged at her non-action.
    2) The prosecutor and her dept may not have been well informed or enough, or lack or evidence so the jury went to the defendant's side that was more informed.
    3) I feel that the prosecutor is putting a disappointed face on camera (calling Zimmerman a 'murderer') but in reality I think she didn't care much about the case. I feel that to her Trayvon Martin was just another black kid dead.
    As now we have seen that other cases: Marissa Alexander with a 20 yr sentence while Zimmerman is set free.
    This makes me wonder how many more of this magnitude have gon 'under the rug' simply because the the killer is black.
    Isn't this another example of racial discrimination and injustice? I had thought of Angela Corey of being responsible for this outcome and to a certain point she is. I agree with Geragos, she should be investigated.

July 18, 2013 at 3:46 pm | Reply
    • Respectfully Caucasian

Zimmerman was a neighborhood watch volunteer who had been to meetings and was legitimately involved with his role to help protect his neighborhood which means looking out for possible strangers or strange activities. Zimmerman was concerned enough to call 311 about Martin and his activity. The dispatcher asked Zimmerman the race of the person he was following, which is a standard question by law enforcement. This racial question was brought up by the dispatcher. This was the only time Zimmerman referred to Martin as Black. Martin was bigger than Zimmerman by a full 4 inches. Zimmerman didn't pull out his gun until he was physically unable to protect himself. Had Zimmerman wanted to really kill Martin in cold blood he would've shot him before there were any punches thrown by Martin. And if you feel that Zimmerman just couldn't take a punch or this was just an excuse to shoot Martin then go outside and find some concrete to pound your head on until it actually bleeds then you might just understand the severety of the beating. Zimmerman had to be the one yelling for help. And you don't think so you are delusional. This is a clear case of self defense.

July 19, 2013 at 1:45 am | Reply
  16. Lawrence Sass

Dear Anderson,
    Will you please get OFF this George Zimmerman-Treyvon Martin trial/verdict.
    It's worn out, over cooked and inciting division between blacks and whites.
    The jury has rendered a verdict after careful deliberation and after a week that's enough of this story.
    If your bosses @ CNN are pushing to continue I would appreciate your advising them that this has been more than enough. Again, the country needs to move on. We are on the edge of another Civil War.
    Respectfully,
    Lawrence Sass

July 18, 2013 at 2:01 pm | Reply
    • Adrian Maclean

I agree with you. This is over and to continue to pursue it is stoking the racial fires and actually threatens the stability of the American Justice System. Television viewership ratings should never take precedence over the legal system where the rule of law is the foundation of American Democracy, not mob rule.

July 18, 2013 at 9:48 pm | Reply
  17. Seun Olowole

can you imagine this statement: "They ended up focusing on just those last few seconds and minutes of the struggle, and did George Zimmerman fear for his life? And that's really what it boiled down to for them,"
    in my opinion, the jurors only focus was to set Zimmerman free did they also consider if Trayvon had fear for his life? especially since Zimmerman had a gun while he did not.

July 18, 2013 at 9:32 am | Reply
    • Kimberlee

Seun, the problem I think they ran into was that Trayvon had indicated he had lost George and was close to his house, and then turned back and confronted him. This didn't need to happen, and both George and Trayvon could have made different decisions that night that would leave Trayvon alive today and George not in hiding. I was for guilty, until I heard that testimony, according to Trayvon's own friend.

July 18, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Reply
  18. C. King

NOT GUILTY ………… WAAAAAA
    The juror interviewed by Anderson Cooper was clearly not very bright. She did not even have a reasonable command of the English language. I have nothing against having women on a jury, but for cryin’ out loud, pick people who have a reasonable level of intelligence and are capable of making logical and rational decisions without becoming emotional.
    This case could have used a really good detective and jurors who could see through the hoopla of an exceptionally good defense attorney.

July 17, 2013 at 11:35 pm | Reply
  19. George Beshay

I also want to add that Zimmerman even failed to introduce himself to Martin to comfort him and to show he didn't mean ill to him. Even after Martin asked him and correctly so why he followed him..

Zimmerman did nothing right and he provoked the situation who ended up by the killing of the teen.

Who appointed Zimmerman and what training he got.

and for the Jurors search your hearts in fact for everyone participated to reach this result

and for the Legislators who adopted the stand your ground law, this law lead to the killing of this teen and it will lead to the killings of so many innocent people in the dark when there is no witness, you don't even to be injured as we learned,
    this will be the perfect crime

July 17, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Reply
  20. chuNk

I think b37 was in the film the help. Someone needs to make her another "chocolate"pie.

July 17, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Reply
  21. rev. Gerry Williams

You can talk about the preacher, but God gave this Misty country to all of us to share and to do his bidding, if we can't get it right now then how can we at a latter date. I love all of you no matter what, martin the king said to turn the other check and be all that you can. God said turn the other check and still do his bidding, to me that means that no matter what happens we all are still brothers and sisters, so now we have to let go of yesterday and build a better tomorrow.
    Thank you, I pray this in the name of God the father son and Holly spirit.

July 17, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Reply
  22. George Beshay

What did Zimmerman do right,

As neighborhood watch he was wrong in criminally profiling Martin and assumed he is a suspect

He didn't know the names of three streets in his neighborhood he is watching

He didn't recognized a child living in the neighborhood he is watching ( Martin is living there !)

He doesn't know how to throw a punch or even how to protect his head with his hands or to push the slim kid away from him

He didn't stay in his car as instructed and as he should do knowing he such a weak man ( physically I mean)

And he ended up by killing the kid, 11 years younger and 50 Pounds Lighter from his neighborhood he is watching

WHAT A SHAME... and some people are talking about the intelligence of Chantel... What a shame

TELL ME WHAT DID HE DO RIGHT if he is a Japaneese man and feels responsibility the outcome would have been different

As for the Stand your ground law... it calls for using the fatal power to kill or and the killer is the winner no matter what
    that's a shame

July 17, 2013 at 9:10 pm | Reply
  23. Kimberlee

Anderson, I just heard some of the family lawyer's response to your interview with the juror, especially as it relates to her opinion that Trayvon has some accountability for his death in that he could have avoided confrontation. I mean no disrespect to Trayvon's family or his lawyers; if I could go back and shackle George to his truck that night, so the physical confrontation didn't happen, believe me, I would give my right arm to do that. But their insistence on calling him a child, instead of a youth or young man, is very troublesome to me. If he had developmental or intellectual challenges that meant he acted with significantly less maturity than his peers, tell us so. But I have understood he was a typical teenager for his age, going through all the growth issues that teenagers go through. Ask his classmates if they consider themselves still children, or if they consider themselves teens, youth or young adults. At his death, Trayvon was old enough to enter military service with his parents' consent, carry a weapon, and fight in combat; and only 12 months away from entering military service without their consent. He was old enough to marry and start a family with their consent, and only 12 months away from marrying and starting a family without their consent. If I had been born the same year as Trayvon, he would have been 4 months older than me in my junior year in high school. At the time of his death, I would have been applying for early entrance to college, effectively to skip half of my senior year. At 17 1/2, I was in college on my own, living half a country away from my parents, and working on campus. They couldn't afford college for me; my dad was a bluecollar worker and the best they could do was slip me a $20 bill now and then. But with scholarships, grants, a lot of loan debt, and working on campus and in the summers, I left home when I was only 6 months older then Trayvon. Trayvon was no child. He was a youth, or a young man. I wish he was here with us today, because for all he may have been struggling with all the things our youth struggle with, he may well have gotten over those bumps in life and become all that he could be.

July 17, 2013 at 7:02 pm | Reply
    • JB

And what has that got to do with the fact that he was followed and shot dead. [...]

July 18, 2013 at 10:13 am | Reply
      • Kimberlee

JB, if I could give an arm to bring young Trayvon back to life, I would! But we all face the consequences of our decisions. According to Trayvon's own friend, he had lost George and was near his house, and then decided to turn back to confront him. If he had been shot in the back, running away, very different.

July 18, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
      • flip

So because he decided to confront the man who was following him he deserved the consequences?your logic is similar toa girl being responsible for being raped because her skirt was too short. did u ever consider his rights? Zimmerman was neither authorized or forced to follow treyvon. He was told leave the young man child whatever u wanna call him alone.How can y'all continue to defend this creep when his own family has filed rape charges against this sicko and verified him as a racist?

July 18, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
  24. Bruce Child

I believe the jury in this case didn't use good judgement in their verdict, but it sounds like they did operate based on very poor instruction from the judge, and also a very poor presentation on behalf of the prosecuter. One jurer who has been interviewed stated that she did believe that Zimmerman was guilty of poor judgement. Most everywhere that I know of, that would bring a manslaughter conviction. Poor judgement is the reason that probably a majority of people in jail are where they are. The stand your ground law that has so often been cited is very confusing. I this case, who had the privilage of having that ground, the one who won the fight? Neither one of these people involved had any business being where they were. The law being as it is, it's as if they were both almost required to fight it out because of the confusion of who had the ground to make a stand on. If the law does define who would have the privilage of standing their ground, neither the judge nor the lawers clarified it that I heard about. The Martin kid probably was where he didn't belong, but I don't think Zimmerman had any business being there either. He had done his duty by calling it in, and had no business going on from there, particularly after he was told to back off. His irresponsible actions got a seventeen year old kid killed. This was a sad situation to begin with, but due to the lack of supervision from the judge, and a horrible presentation from the prosecution, it was made even sadder.

July 17, 2013 at 3:19 pm | Reply
  25. Steven Martini

Obviously I know this a CNN site but if you want the real truth on this case watch Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity, they ask the REAL questions to the black AND white Trayvon supporters where Anderson looks like he's scared out his mind, when the black people talk and DO NOT mention the fact that TRAYVON WENT BACK to confront Zimmerman ( and we all know this to be a fact ) Anderson DOES NOT interject and say " Wait a minute, Zimmerman lost sight of him and Trayvon could have just continued walking home ( he was only 80 yards from his house ) but he decided to confront Zimmerman " Anderson DOES NOT nor does any journalist from CNN or MSNBC correct or interject with these people and my question is WHY ? I mean this seriously, is he physically afraid that someone there or outside the studio will attack him ? He sure looks like it. I will not watch Anderson or CNN ever again.

July 17, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Reply
    • BP

Because those people biased now are they?!

July 17, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Reply
  26. Bob C.

I grew up in Pennsylvania in the 60s during the racial tensions. I was drafted in 1968 and served with many good black men . We slept in the same barracks, ate the same dirt, and depended on each other to make it. The first thing I did when I got out of the Army was to go to Kent St. to pay my respects. I now live in Louisiana where I see racial bias that has been passed down by many generations of ignorance. I now feel that this great country of ours has just taken a step backwards fifty years. I know it won`t change in my lifetime but I can only pray that it does in my grandchildren`s lives.

July 17, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Reply
    • Kimberlee

Words of wisdom! I do believe it will change. My faith teaches the unity of mankind. We are an ethnically and racially diverse faith, coming from people of wide religious backgrounds, and have such wonderful friendship and fellowship when we are together. It is possible! Our community lives it. But the focus has to be on wanting change, not fighting it, and many people don't yet want change. Since the late 1800s, when my faith was first introduced to the USA, we have sponsored racial amity conferences, integrated social events before it was socially acceptable, officiated at mixed race marriages before it was legal in all states, and sought peaceful ways to bring about what we call "unity in diversity." Among our believers were such notable African Americans as Dr Alain Locke, first black Rhodes scholar; Herman Marion Sweatt, who challenged separate but equal law schools in Texas; Robert Hayden, the first black poet laureate of the United States; Dizzy Gillespie, a legendary black musician; and Dempsey Morgan, a former Tuskegee Airman. Our goal is to raise prejudice-free children, and many of our members hold neighborhood children's classes open to any faith, to share the concept of the unity of mankind. We are small in number, but we know it will eventually happen in this country.

July 18, 2013 at 6:35 am | Reply
  27. rev. Gerry Williams

As you know they will never stop killing us' and after you get done with your show it will be back to killing n****** as hallways. I want you to get a CD by Anthony Hamilton. Ain,t no body worrying, and this will some it up .As we go through thiisbad times and the smoke settles well you will see what's next. Thank you

July 17, 2013 at 10:25 am | Reply
    • Steven Martini

Rev. Gerry Williams. " They " ? Who are they ? Do you mean the 40 black people a day that kill each other OR the one half white half Hispanic guy that used self defense to save his own life ? They ? They is your own black people killing your own black people reverend, get it straight and stop using the race card for all the failures in the black community.

July 17, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Reply
      • Phil

Your statement is ignorant!

July 23, 2013 at 2:05 am |
  28. The nurse

Black culture revolves around violence and "keeping it real". Then they wonder at the stereotypes and gasp in amazment when people assume that a young black guy in a hoodie out after midnight would be up to no good. Then they glaze over the fact that Martin attacked Zimmerman out of his own racial bias bias. He attacked Zimmerman over words and being followed. To the black community this seems acceptable because they live in a world where its ok to attack some one for a percieved insult or verbal threat. Thats the 800 lb gorrilla no one wants to talk about. Call me a racist if you want but if the culture of hip hop and rap was not what it is and the culture of the urban youth was not so entrenched in violence then the stereo type would die.

July 17, 2013 at 9:08 am | Reply
    • get it right

It was 7pm.. It wasn't after mid night. One of many errors in your post. Get the facts first.

July 17, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Reply
    • T HENRY

I AM BAFFLED TO UNDERSTAND WHY MANY CONTINUE TO SAY MARTIN ATTACKED ZIMMERMAN FIRST. YOU RECEIVED AN ACCOUNT OF WHAT MAY HAVE HAPPENED THROUGH THE KILLERS MOUTH. WHETEHER HE INITIALLY WANTED TO OR NOT HE KILLLLLED THAT YOUNG MAN. WHETHER WHITE OR BLACK HE KILLLLLED THAT YOUNG MAN. THE YOUNG MAN IS DEAD AND CAN NOT TELL YOU HIS VERSION. AGAIN I WILL ASK HOW DO YOU REALLY KNOW WHO APPROACHED WHOM FIRST. WHAT WAS SAID BY WHOM FIRST. SO YOU WILL THEN TAKE THE ONLY SURVIVING HALF OF THIS STORY AND HOLD IT THE ULTIMATE TRUTH. IT WOULD BE OUTRAGEOUS TO SAY HE WILL FABRICATE SOME ASPECTS OF WHAT HAPPENED TO JUSTIFY KILLING THIS YOUNG MAN. THE VOICE SCREAMING FOR HELP WAS IDENTIFIED BY BOTH PARTIES. SO YOU HAVE NO EYEWITNESSES AND THOSE CALLING A YOUNG MAN WHOM IS NOT HERE A SAVAGE. LET'S DISREGARD BOTH HAVE A RIGHT TO DEFEND THEMSELVES AND LET'S DISREGARD THE CIRCUMSTANCES BEHIND WHAT LED UP TO HIS KILLING. WE DON'T KNOW HOW HE IDENTIFIES HIMSELF REALLY, WE DON'T KNOW WHAT WORDS WERE SAID AND WE REALLY DON'T KNOW WHO INITIATED A PHYSICAL ALTERCATION. WE REALLY DON'T KNOW IF TRAYVON WAS INDEED DEFENDING HIMSELF .WE REALLY DON'T KNOW WHOS VOICE THAT WAS ON THAT CALL AND THE KILLER WILL SCREAM IT WAS HIS TO OFFCOURSE BACK UP A SELF DEFENSE PLEA. WHAT WE DO KNOW IS HIS ACTS WERE NEGLIGENT BY ACTING AS IF HE WERE A POLICE OFFICER AND TAKING MATTERS INTO HIS OWN HANDS BY GETTING OUT AND FOLLOWING THAT CHILD. I DON'T CARE WHAT THE DISPATCHER ASKS HIM ABOUT LOCATION HE ESCALATED THAT MATTER BY MAKING THAT DECISION TO REMOVE HIMSELF FROM HIS VEHICLE. HE WAS NEGLIGENT PERIOD. SO IF A WOMAN CAN GET 20 YEARS, AND I DON'T CARE ABOUT COLOR, FOR FIRING A SHOT , ZIMMERMAN SHOULD BE GIVEN SOME PUNISHMENT FOR KILLING A YOUNG MAN WHICH RESULTED OUT A SITUATION THAT HE WAS TOLD NOT TO ESCALATE. HE WAS DAMN WRECKLESS..

July 17, 2013 at 2:50 pm | Reply
  29. alan

justice was served; get over it

July 17, 2013 at 8:37 am | Reply
  30. Faith-Isn't-a-Preacher

It's time to call out the race mongers on their use, duping, and abuse of our Black Youth.

First and Second generation Black youth aren't at odds with the 'White?' (Light Skinned Mixed Race or Otherwise) people. And neither are other races of color.

July 17, 2013 at 8:33 am | Reply
  31. Faith-Isn't-a-Preacher

This is what happens when the used and duped of the Democrat Party are mobilized.

Everyone should review Rev. C. L. Bryant's documentary 'Runaway Slave'.

Let's solve this. Free everyone who has been convinced to trade one form of slavery for another. The masters of Uncle Sam's Plantation must be deposed.

July 17, 2013 at 8:26 am | Reply
  32. Faith-Isn't-a-Preacher

What role does Sharpton, Jackson, and the NAACP play now?

Apparently they became the Foremen/women that serve the party that created the Klan. Their apparent purpose now is to manipulate a group that has been persuaded to trade one form of slavery for another.

Rev. C. L. Bryant is spot on in his documentary 'Runaway Slave'.
    youtube.Com/watch?v=55aujTwuJY8

July 17, 2013 at 8:20 am | Reply
  33. Faith-Isn't-a-Preacher

So, why is it that First and Second Generation African-Americans are not at odds with light skinned Americans?

Even people that have immigrated from India are not at odds with light skinned Americans.

So who is it that keeps fomenting the Race issue?

July 17, 2013 at 8:19 am | Reply
  34. Faith-Isn't-a-Preacher

These race mongers complain about being profiled. But profiles exist because there is current activity and precedence that support the profiles.

If a group does not like their profile; change the persistent activity that supports it.

Willful destruction and reactionary activity only reinforces the undesired profile.

To achieve a civil solution; be civil.

July 17, 2013 at 8:18 am | Reply
  35. Faith-Isn't-a-Preacher

The young tend to suffer because of those who fail to mentor them for success. Fortunately most live long enough to get a clue.

July 17, 2013 at 8:17 am | Reply
  36. Faith-Isn't-a-Preacher

The NAACP should be mentoring Black Youth for 'Success' in living a productive and Civil life, instead of farming and cultivating them to be victims and political pawns.

Fixing that would be Justice for Trayvon.

July 17, 2013 at 8:15 am | Reply
  37. Matt

CNN, NAACP, AL SHARPTON, BEN JEALOUS, MSNBC..Father Flagler etc etc etc
    ALL RACE ALL THE TIME 24/7 EVERYDAY...Americas RACE BAITERS

July 17, 2013 at 7:57 am | Reply
  38. woodie

Trayvon Martin is an example of what happens when you raise a child in an en environment of rap music and anti-white racial indoctrination. He had a chip on his shoulder about the 'white .... cracker' and he responded by being combative and that combativeness didn't serve him at all but rather caused his death. I think the black community needs to be gazing at it's own navel here because they have a responsibility for this boys death. They set this kid up to fail. The black community needs to figure out why Martin attacked this man. What in his background taught him to respond like that.

July 17, 2013 at 7:20 am | Reply
    • Jess

I never thought if that way,but believe you are onto something. Granted GZ should not have followed him, but it was not right for him to attack GZ either.

July 17, 2013 at 8:10 am | Reply
    • dharris15

You've just slandered a dead teenager. Talk about adding insult to injury. Let's see. A teenager is pursued by a man in a car. The man gets out of the car and starts following him on foot. The man never identifies himself. Never says anything like, "I'm with neighborhood watch, just wondering if you're lost" The boy's friend on the phone opines that the stalker may be a sexual predator. The boy takes a preemptive strike to defend himself from this stallker, possible predator and the boy is combative?. Give me a break. You blame it on what you perceive to be black culture and opine that black people are to blame for the boy's demise. And people wonder why there is no love lost between the races.

July 17, 2013 at 8:48 am | Reply
  39. Deepsae35

Anderson: I read the previous comment, and I agree with their comments toward you. After researching their statement, I have ammended it. I believe my own version is supported by the actual facts, rather than raw emotion. "In this last travesty, I appreciate your courage and candor, even though the facts and truth have been unfortunately compromised by the prosecution and others using the one-sided version of the victim, Trayvon Martin. African All people have been racially profiled and damaged by racism and devalued in the past and continued to this day. Did you read the e-book on Amazon by Robert Zimmerman, Sr.? He posted this wonderful publication about a month ago and demonstrates his real feelings about how some black leaders a fanning the fires of hatred. It's unfortunate that Trayvon Martin's character was totally damaged by his drug use and behavior, but George Zimmerman's past and actions eliminated racism as a factor. Justice for this dead teenager and his family was fairly applied, but offers no comfort. May the Righteous Judge, our Creator, intervene and grant some healing so this event can be forgotten."

July 17, 2013 at 7:02 am | Reply
  40. Jerry

Anderson, why are you and your colleagues playing the race card all the time?! The poverty pimping Black leadership (including the NAACP and of course Mr. Clueless Obama) have said all they wanted was a fair trial for Mr. Zimmerman. They resoundly lost!

Now, they no longer want justice (fair trial). They are just demanding a lynching!!! Not only of Mr. Zimmerman, the jurors, but the justice system as well. They will also crucify any Black that does not agree with their misguided views. (Sharpton and Jackson should be arrested for inciting riots and looting and fined for all the bodily and property damages that they have caused.

The moronic Mr. Hold-her is no longer representing the Américan populace. He's representing the Black community exclusively. What happened to all the other cases that he was supposed to be on top off. Just like his boss, deflect, deflect, deflect.

To me as an Hispanic, probably the saddest part is that the Black community is drinking Obama's, Holder's, Sharpton's, Jackson's, etc., etc., etc. Kool Aid by the pitcher full.

July 17, 2013 at 6:34 am | Reply
  41. Steven Martini

Anderson I am so so disappointed in you and in CNN as journalists and reporters, you sit there like a deer in the headlights with this blank look on your face when black leaders / politicians / lawyers come on your show and say and I quote " Treyvon was just an innocent kid walking home and was killed " Now you, I and everyone on this planet KNOW that there's a HUGE part that story that they're not saying and obviously it's the part where Zimmerman STOPPED following him and Trayvon decided to confront Zimmerman for following him earlier and decided to attack him and THAT is why he was shot and subsequently killed.

Now here's the part about you, you say nothing to these people but look like you're scared out of your mind and start stuttering when the subject comes up. What is the fear of telling the truth to these people and maybe enlightening them ? Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity tell them straight to their faces. The jury said Zimmerman had the right to use self defense and that's how they found him not guilty. I mean is it CNN itself making you not respond to this or are you just so scared of these people that you don't want to ruffle anyone's feathers ? I am SO disappointed in you, I always liked and respected you but not anymore. You lost my and I'm sure a lot of people's respect now.

July 17, 2013 at 2:36 am | Reply
    • Concerned

At what point and time did he stop following him. I'm lost. I think I agree with each of you and I am ust as White as they come justice was served in that our penal system does not have to take care of him. Tax dollars are not wasted on him. However this man's life as he once knew it is gone. Whether race played a factor or not, he was asked to stop following him and continued to do what he wanted. Now what happens to him is on him. He won't have a job, he will pretty much be confined home and will probably have to end up changing his name. He won't be able to get a job because no one is going to hire him in the face of all of this adversity. So unlike the beliefs of some of you I think justice was served quite well. My higher power has a way of doing things his way and this man will suffer for not taking instruction from authority.

July 17, 2013 at 9:57 am | Reply
      • Steven Martini

When the 911 operator ( NOT a police officer and has NO authority to tell you to do anything ) asked Zimmerman to stop following him he did, he lost sight of him and Trayvon was now only 80 yards from his house, he could have easily just continued walking home. HE decided to GO BACK to confront this guy that was following him earlier, as Trayvon met up with him he punched him in the face, knocked him down and straddled and started beating his head into the ground ( according to the eyewitness ) after 45 seconds of pummeling and almost losing consciousness Zimmerman had no other alternative but to use his weapon. This is a CLEAR case of self defense.

July 17, 2013 at 11:58 am |
    • Y Jones

There was a commenter who wisely noted the lack of critical analysis, something that has really bothered me. Its ok to start with Mr. Zimmerman's account but that's not where it ends. Would you at least consider the following as something that should concern you when considering the claim that Zimmerman stopped following and was heading back to his car:

There is a 2 minute gap during which (even O'Mara acknowledges) Zimmerman did not account for what he was doing in the dark. Based on his own account he remained in the area of the T, and therefore 40 or less yards from his car. Based on reenactments, it would have taken him less than a minute to reach his car. At the conclusion of the 911 call, Zimmerman curiously tells the operator that, rather than having the police meet him at his car, to have the police call him when they arrive and he'll tell them where he is. There's no other reasonable interpretation of this than Zimmerman did not intend at that time to return to his car, within his sight and short walking distance. And he didn't remain out there to get an address. This is supported in two ways–he did not remain on the phone to provide an address. First, If he's really out there to provide an address, stay on the line, walk the short distance to any of the addresses in the vicinity. He didn't. He ended the call. Second, Zimmerman claimed Martin had run (a claim he changed when interviewed by Hannity because it suggested Martin might have been afraid of HIM). If Martin was running and Zimmerman had lost sight of him, what possible good could have an address done. Zimmerman remained out there for those 2 unaccounted for minutes because he continued looking for Martin in the dark.
      As for Martin returning home, even Zimmerman does not allege this. O'Mara asks the jury to speculate about those approx. 4 minutes, all of which Zimmerman has spent following Martin first by car and then on foot. Considering the crime scene included not only the skittles and drink that Martin had just purchased, it also included the plastic bag from the store. If Martin returned home after running at top speed, as O'Mara suggests, and therefore with time to spare. Why not leave those things at home. Why come back with the items you've purchased and the plastic bag? And why not arm yourself, with something? anything? This is the common sense analysis you'd expect a jury to use in assessing the speculation O'Mara asks them to engage in.

July 17, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Reply
  42. Karen Goode

Until the philosophy, the society, the culture which holds one race superior & another inferior is finally & PERMANENTLY discredited & abondoned until there's no longer first or second class citizens until the color of a mans skin is no more significant than the color of his eyes until basic human rights are equally guaranteed without regard to race everywhere is WAR!!!

July 17, 2013 at 1:29 am | Reply
  43. marcos

This was one person from one minority group killing another person from another minority group... if this was "white prejudice" in action, Zimmerman would have been found guilty, effectively removing two minority members off the street with one stone...
    Plus, what suddenly makes black people the only minority group in America that is victim of prejudice? Latins are too, just as much.

July 17, 2013 at 1:27 am | Reply
    • xnyer

While I agree with your statemnt, the reason Latins dont yell and shine like the black, and have marches, occupy offices if they dont get want they want.............

July 17, 2013 at 8:08 am | Reply
  44. sarah

I I think it is interesting that this woman "planned on writing a book" though she said she didn't realize this was even a high-profile case. Its indecent how fast this woman started capitalizing, even portraying herself as a victim by crying and such. I think she is seeking to get rich off of Trayvon's death and obviously has no shame.

July 17, 2013 at 12:29 am | Reply
  45. shayna

Anderson there is no justice in America . I "ve been in that situation with Trayvon mom but i did get any justice with the law thanks god my son didn't died. Since Isaw what happen to trayvon i knew they will make trayvon the vilant. But i wonder how Zimmerman can sleep at night.And for the juror B37 you should be a shame of yourself.

July 16, 2013 at 11:41 pm | Reply
  46. joe queens

Your panel was biased towards trayvon martin. Also when yourl panelists discussed conversations with their sons about authority figures and their fear of them. Im white and i also had a conversation with my son who took the nyc subways my words to him that if he is confronted by black youths just give them what they want or they will stab or shoot him. Whose responsible fothat perception and reality.

July 16, 2013 at 11:22 pm | Reply
  47. Track

Many people will make the statement "you win or you got me" when the gun or knife comes out in an effort to prevent injury or death......why does Zimmerman with all of his noble intentions simply identify himself as neighborhood watch to Trayvon?

July 16, 2013 at 11:22 pm | Reply
  48. guyhutson

Hello, we just don't get it. All focus on Zimmmerman and who hit first and this leaves Trayvon as a dead criminal. You must start at the beginning. 1 Zimmerman sees Trayvon and judged him as a criminal using a racial basis . He calls the police, this guy is up to no good. Trayvon was just trying to get home and stopped to get out of the rain. 2. Trayvon was never considered, he ran twice to get away from a stranger. If your son was walking and being followed by a man of a different race, don't you think your son would fear for his life? 3. if a man has a gun, and he chase a teen, that man is ready to defend himself and is not in fear knowing he could kill. 4 Who started it and who was in fear for their life? Zimmerman waited and stood between Trayvon getting home. after words were exchanged, Zimmerman said he reached for his cell phone (or gun). Its dark, this man is following Trayvon, then reach for something. IT WAS TRAYVON THAT HAD THE RIGHT TO DEFEND HIMSELF. WHY DO WE ONLY CONSIDER ZIMMERMAN AND FIND HIM INNOCENT AND WIPE AWAY TRAYVON LAST MOMENTS BEFORE FIGHTING FOR HIS LIFE WHEN HE WAS JUST WALKING HOME, DOING NOTHING WRONG.
    So if there is any question, they both yelled for help, but when Trayvon saw the gun pointed at him and knew could not get away and realized he was gonna die, he screamed,.
    My question is, why and how can you not recognize Trayvon's fear for his life. Let me help you Zimmerman was asked, if he was given a chance to change things, would he do anything different? HE SAID NO, IT WAS GODS WILL. Just don't get it, he made a mistake, all he had to do is stay in the car, there was no reason to even call the police.
    If you still don't get it, consider the black woman in Florida, beaten by her husband numerous times, during another incident, she fired a warning shot in fear of her life. SHE GOT 20 YEARS,PROSECUTED BY THE SAME OFFICE, TRAYVON IS DEAD, BUT ZIMMERMAN IS INNOCENT . Anderson tell me why we don't get it?

July 16, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Reply
    • JustABadSituation

@guyhutson – You are amazing. You can't get past your own racist views long enough to see reality. "Zimmerman sees Trayvon and judged him as a criminal using a racial basis.", really. EVERYONE judges EVERYONE on appearance. It is a survival instinct. You can say you don't, you would be a liar. Watch the show Brain Games, it proves my point over and over. " If your son was walking and being followed by a man of a different race, don't you think your son would fear for his life?", the fact you had to put in this sentence, "being followed by a man of a different race", shows you are a racist. If someone is following me, I don't care what race they are, my brain says there is an issue.

Lets set the stage. A young man wearing dark clothing is walking late at night through a neighborhood. An armed neighborhood watch member sees this and becomes suspicious. He follows the young man and calls police. The young man realizes that he is being followed and fears for his safety. The neighborhood watch member believes that he is possibly going to prevent a crime. At some point, both adrenaline flowing, a confrontation/scuffle ensues. The neighborhood watch member decides he is in fear of his life, pulls a gun and kills the other individual. In my eyes, they were both justified in defending themselves and both feared for their lives. If the gun would have been in the young mans hands and the neighborhood watch member was killed, I believe he would have been justified. Both are a victim of their own imaginations and a bad situation. We were not there, only these 2 individuals know exactly what happened that night and the fear they felt for their lives.

Florida Statute: 776.013:

"A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony."

We may not like the outcome, did he commit murder? YES. Does the law allow for justifiable murder? YES. If you don't like the outcome change the law.

July 17, 2013 at 8:17 am | Reply
    • Steven Martini

STOP Guy, Zimmerman did NOT use racial profiling and if you don't believe me listen to the 911 call. The 911 operator asked ( as they should obviously ) and I quote ( " Is he white, black, Hispanic ? ) The 911 operator asked that, Zimmerman replied " I think he's black " HOW is that racial profiling ? I swear, I think people in this country live in a made up world where they assume something first without knowing the facts.

July 17, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Reply
      • JB

Seriously If I really want to be a juror to save someone I will not show it and you will never know my intentions if you cant get into my head. Juror #37 won! Kudos

July 18, 2013 at 10:47 am |
  49. Paul Morrison

To this juror and the audience here, how are we to accept as fact, the testimony of guy whose neck is potentially on the chopping block? There is no balance in the testimony, two people know how this incident started, and one is not here to tell his side. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side and the right side. Real truth is usually a combination of both. But it has become an accepted truth that things began the way George Zimmerman has testified. I can tell you that common sense of anyone truthful with themselves, states that is did not start the way George stated it...He circles the car? So why did the so called cream puff get out of the car? Maybe because of the backup he carried in his waistband Trayvon states "you're gonna die tonight!"? Right!!! No Ridiculous!!! He pounded the unbruised and likewise unlumped head of George Zimmerman into the pavement and only produced a few small scratches. ??? He jumped out the bushes and attacked George Zimmerman? So this 17 year old boy is really a cold blooded killer and not a kid ( however capable in fighting he may be) just out on a snack run? It's so easy for our society to accept that a black boy is always capable of such aggression and violence. Black life just doesn't carry value and weight in this society. That started with George Zimmerman seeing this kid and making judgments about his purpose there (could not be a member of HIS community) and immediately concluding that he is suspicious and probably on drugs or up to no good. It continued with the police officers who come on the scene and accept as fact the events that justified Trayvon's murder. Because the victim was a young black boy and the "Defender of the Neighborhood" was white (white hispanic). So much so that he was not thoroughly interrogated to check the facts, not even counseled after killing a human being, as a police officer in the same situation would have been. Not tested for alcohol or drug use?!!! Come on people lets get real here. Then let's continue to the trial. The defense team made a monster out of Trayvon thoroughly assassinating his character as a bad-ass killer who turned the tables and stalked George Zimmerman, who happened to be the instigator of any contact between the two of them that night. The judge does not allow the term racial profiling but allows profiling as a general term. If Trayvon had been white, no matter about his hoodie, even at 17 he would not be "profiled". Not thought to be a drug user. Not an asshole who gets away with it. Not lumped in with a group of criminals who had terrorized and victimized the neighborhood. Put George Zimmerman at one of the major airports as a TSA agent, because he is a great judge of character and intent. Maybe he can profile and kill some terrorists since he's such a hero. But that's only if you're naive enough to trust everything that comes out his mouth like B-37. I'm dumbfounded about how we are so sure that the physical confrontation was initiated by Trayvon, who by the way had every right to defend himself. Too bad he's a good fighter because that probably cost him his life.

July 16, 2013 at 10:37 pm | Reply
    • Jerry

Paul, you are NOT dumbfounded; you are just DUMB, period! Get over it. For heavens sake, Mr. Zimmerman was declared innocent by a jury of his peers

July 17, 2013 at 10:04 am | Reply
      • JB

Because Zimmerman KILLED someone-a human being who was not armed. He is a murderer and he got away with it. Why cann't we discuss what if Trayvon had rights to stand his ground too!. This guy Zimmerman slaughtered an armed kid (child endangerment) and he has blood on his hands whatever everyone here says. He could have stayed in his car.

July 18, 2013 at 10:30 am |
  50. Larry

I just did a re-enactment of the Martin-Zimmerman tussle, and it is physically impossible to shoot a person "Directly from front to back" (according to the coroners report) at http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/images/05/17/trayvon.martin.autopsy.pdf?hpt=hp_t2

The trajectory of the bullet is inconsistent with an individual straddling another. A straddling position would have led to an upward trajectory. The path of the bullet would be parallel to the ground if and only if, the two individuals were upright, either sitting or standing.

Here is the layout of lungs and heart

Read the autopsy report and try to reproduce Zimmerman's account of the story...

July 16, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Reply
  51. Bobbi

You want to know what is wrong with your country. You people never stop. The trial is over. But you keep talking about it and will not stop. You talk about him being black. Your the ones that make people hate. Media causes riots in the streets. Stop talking about it and people will calm down and go on to the next stupid thing the Americans do. In Canada we do not keep going on and on. Go on to something else. You people are just asking for trouble.

July 16, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Reply
    • Adrian Maclean

Ditto, time to move on.

July 18, 2013 at 10:18 pm | Reply
  52. Holly

I have followed the Zimmerman trial, however not as religiously as some others. Out of curiosity, do we know what type of student Trayvon Martin was? Grades, attendance, suspensions, etc.?

July 16, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Reply
    • Steven Martini

He was suspended from school on at least 2 occasions, had a couple of run ins with the police, they found burglary tools in his backpack, had kiddy porn and bragged about getting into fights on his cell phone and he smoked pot, his mother sent him to his fathers house because he was hanging around with the wrong crowd where they lived. Yes he sounds like a young model citizen to me.

July 17, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Reply
    • JB

And what has that got to do with Zimmerman following him and killing him.

July 18, 2013 at 10:32 am | Reply
      • Steven Martini

JB, Zimmerman STOPPED following him when asked by the 911 operator, TRAYVON decided to go back and confront the guy that was following him and PROVEN IN COURT that Trayvon then attacked him so he killed him yes but in SELF DEFENSE, learn the laws before you talk about things you don't know JB. I love how people leave out the BIGGEST part of the story about Trayvon attacking him.

July 18, 2013 at 5:19 pm |
  53. Lynn Geosits

I feel that both George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin co-created this situation. George may have been over zealous in his desire to help the neighborhood, but Trayvon Martin seemed to be dipping into dark energy in his life, ie posts of a gun on Facebook and repeated suspensions from school. In addition, I believe that any person of any race or gender reflects others by his or her actions and should ponder what kind of reflection he or she is creating. If one engages in gangs, drugs, guns, and nasty language that creates a bad image, and it is human nature to react to that. It is time to take responsibility for our actions and not blame others or "profiling." Life is hard for everyone in their own way and the key is to do your best and rise to the highest level you can. Then there can NEVER be any racial profiling because the profile being created is good and admirable. If we all focus on that, no matter what the race, then the world will change. As long as people hold on to their anger and blame, nothing changes.

July 16, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Reply
  54. Lamont Thompson

I appreciate you and your show, you're one of the broadcast journalist I do watch. As an Honorably Discharged African-American U.S. Marine I have been upset for a third day in the row over the verdict. My anger not shock over the verdict consumes my thoughts as I have a 15 yr. old son who that could have been or could be still. Just watching the interview with Juror B37 and her statements in my opinion only show how bad a job the prosecution did but to hear it was confusing and saying Zimmerman technically didn't do anything wrong makes its worse. I been on a jury for DUI and I went in with my opinion, and looked at the fact and decided on my own. How the three not guilty Jurors got the other to see there way screams INJUSTICE

July 16, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Reply
  55. baz (@SaluteVancouver)

The jury gave interview to anderson that she can have first opportunity to make money with book deal and she and her liar(lawyer) husband decided to make millions from this opportunistic situation. Now they decided to abandon it, because of fear of life seeing on TV all over the america. This jury belongs to KKK mentality. This is white justice against an innocent black boy. The black population must take stronger position, not meow meow. They should go after not only George, but his whole family(rats) and also go after the juries, who are mostly KKK members(indirectly). This jury is very immature woman and fool like most Burger eater american. They can see only white color., not others. American president and all politicians say that USA is the country of law. We saw many times in Afghanistan and Iraq that no soldiers were actually punished for crimes against children and women. No judgement for the wall street looting, no judgement for many political and economic crimes. If this is happen in Singapore or Saudi Arabia, George already in heaven or hell dancing with Jesus christs and angels and having [...].

July 16, 2013 at 9:05 pm | Reply
    • JB

You are so right the jury does not represent the dignity of the majority white people but of the KKK mentality and yes ZImmerman could have killed mother Theresa and gotten away with it.

July 18, 2013 at 10:37 am | Reply
  56. Evelyn

There is a difference in civil rights compared to civil disobedience. How a trial verdict becomes a right to loot and rob and burn someone's small business, etc., overwhelms me.
    Seems the world has become a bunch of old bitches with "match-book" college degree lovely people screaming: "he said-she said-and i want the verdict my way, AND we should just keep prosecuting until I win."
    It does disappoint me to hear you ask: "Do you think the witness was lying?" .. dah, pure over-the-fence-gossip!
    Who wants opinions from people that WERE NOT SELECTED as jurors? Not me, they sound like old drunks sitting on plastic bar stools .. and it's rather disheartening to listen to you leading them on and on.. don't you have enough $ saved up by now?

July 16, 2013 at 8:54 pm | Reply
  57. maggiekat57

The only good decision B37 made was to cancel the book deal.

I served on a federal jury trial for 6 weeks (2 weeks of deliberation). I was astounded at the lack of critical thinking skills. Fellow jurors made decisions based on emotion and if they "liked the witness", without regard to the content of the testimony. So...based on my experience, I do not have much faith a jury of my peers would provide a thoughtful, deliberative, and fair process.

I do not believe B37 is able to determine "facts" as opposed to her "beliefs." She came to conclusions not based on a shred of evidence. (Like the jury considering Stand your Ground, not even part of the trial)

July 16, 2013 at 8:35 pm | Reply
  58. Kathy M

I watched everything you do Anderson but cannot watch your interview with the juror. I must have sat every day and watched a different trial. I know if she IS talking for all of them then they really were not listening. If she faked cries one more time she should get an award. Also is she the one who has made a book deal ? I think something stinks that people on Zimmerman's side are all writing or have written books. SHAME ON ALL OF THEM. And is she in love with George? She talks so kind and loving about him.

July 16, 2013 at 8:26 pm | Reply
    • JB

Kathy you are so right!

July 18, 2013 at 10:38 am | Reply
  59. Angel P.

Anderson,
    After the juror said that Trayvon Martin should have walked away when confronted by G. Zimmermnan, you SHOULD have followed up with the interview he gave detectives. Zimmerman was asked if he Id himself when he approached him. He did NOT, gave answer that he was "scared".

July 16, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Reply
  60. Phill

Where ok with this Juror referring to black people as those people, and the they live, speak etc; while referring to the defendant and George, etc. She also referred to the book deal as her and her husbands perspective. Less than 48 hrs after the trial. It seems to me she should be investigated for discussing a case during trial and possibly basing her verdict based on personal profit.

July 16, 2013 at 8:18 pm | Reply
  61. Rw

I think is time to let this go, there are other things that are newsworthy,these types of shows is what keeps the racial issue going. This jury was not chosen by just one side but was agreed from both sides so we should respect their decision.

July 16, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Reply
    • les wong

Where was the outrage when O.J. Simpson was let go?! Why are the Trayvon fans ignoring the evidence: Trayvon attacked Zimmerman, was atop Zimmerman, and was beating up on him when Trayvon was shot. Yet, some would cry out that Trayvon was murdered. I would agree that perhaps Zimmerman should not have followed Trayvon. Unfortunately, the NAACP, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are exploiting their people without any shame; and the blacks follow sheepishly their new slave masters.

July 17, 2013 at 7:14 am | Reply
  62. Ray Hoff

I was disappointed that Mr. Cooper did not ask Juror B37 "Did Trayvon Martin have a right to stand his ground? Was there any discussion of him fighting back in self-defense?"

July 16, 2013 at 7:12 pm | Reply
  63. Michael Tate

First of all everyone should actual read the Florida Stand Your Ground Law. As bad as it is I don't read in it justification for what Zimmerman did. He had no factual bases to believe Trayvon Martin had committed any crime. Most of the law deals with unlawful entry into dwelling, or vehicles. The law would have justified Martin taking action to protect himself from a mysterious man-who did not ID himself at all much less as a neighbor hood watch patrol. What Martin did do was try to loss the creep following him; only to be again acquired by Zimmerman as a target. Furthermore, Zimmerman ignored the police dispatcher who told him not to confront Martin, and to wait for the police. Instead within two min. he had exited his car approached, and confronted Martin and killed him. I am a licensed Private Investigator, and I assure you Zimmerman was not following Martin he was stalking and hunting him. As for Zimmerman's so called injuries I would like to write from my experience in my youth I trained in San Soo Kung Fu for five years. My teacher was a violent man, and he taught brutal street fighting methods. One of which was slamming the back of your attackers head into the ground. If any one seriously drives another human beings head on to concrete your victim will suffer extremely serious if not fatal injuries. ( By the way I am an EMT so I have seen actual victims of life threating attacks). These injuries would likely be Concussion, Contra Coup, Sub Dermal or Sub Aracnoid Hematoma. If Martin did in fact legally defend himself against this gun thug it was at most a tackle which resulted in the most superficial of injuries. (That is assuming that Zimmerman after committing this hideous crime did not self inflicted his own "injuries"). The reality is that Zimmerman was a coward who would never have gotten out of his car if not for the laws which allow either open or concealed carry. Those laws have been brought to us by the likes of the Koch Brothers-ALEC, and the gun makers. Thus you have institutional racism working to facilitate the individual racism of cowards like Zimmerman. Anyone reading this post who agree with it should consider reading "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander. It is simply one of the best books I have read in ten years.

July 16, 2013 at 6:56 pm | Reply
  64. mrin7777

Mr Anderson, if you are going to interview these inlligent jurors, make sure you get all the fundamental points that every one is wanting to know.
    1.The young man who turned up dead, even though he was on the phone and might or might not be eating the candy bar he had just bought was looking at houses. She did not even quote Zimmermann , she sounded like she was there and you did not think you should ask her about that. Then it was the 911 operator's fault not telling him what to do.(aaaah, he did)told him not to follow him.Then she is on first name basis with the ACCUSED!. Were you even there or I am alone in this?

July 16, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Reply
  65. JESSE J

Americans are colour blind all they see,talk is "black and white"

July 16, 2013 at 6:14 pm | Reply
  66. weldr

Anderson: I have always respected your straight forward, insightful reporting and the factual line you hold interviewing. I have dedicated hundreds of hours to the Zimmerman case through several media outlets in an attempt to gain an objective view of the facts. This case is of great importance to me as a Father, Grandfather and citizen. My family is multi-racial and has been for nearly 30 years, my sisters, son-in-law, brother-in-laws, nieces and nephews and grandchildren all have diverse family histories and in my view are not half of anything but complete and whole in every way that matters.
    This trial is a matter of law and not public opinion, anyone void of an agendas or grieved positions can clearly see the outcome as lawful. This continuing debate is not about the facts or justice for anyone; it has been co-opted by individuals pushing their own ideologies. I find their approach lacking substance and factual integrity.
    There have been several comments made with poor judgment but I was particularly troubled by the words of Reverend Jackson as he indicated that this was no jury of Trayvon’s piers, he is well aware it was not and should not be, but rather a jury of Zimmerman’s piers as the law requires.
    In my opinion, this controversy is an expression of the same frustration and profiling the defendant had been accused.

July 16, 2013 at 5:48 pm | Reply
    • Courtney S

with all due respect, I am tired of people claiming their multi racial side of the family as a sign that you have a grasp on the race issue. It's deeper than that, even the spouse of a black person can't wholeheartedly identify with the experience. TM was profiled, then racially profiled, then got shot in self- defense. That's ironic, this IS about race, no matter how much those of you who have blinders on don't want to see it. What about GZ's connections to law enforcement, and bringing up a string of robberies in the neighborhood that TM had nothing to do with, the defense played the race card to a "t". So why should the public overlook it. This is the reality of America,

July 17, 2013 at 8:32 am | Reply
  67. Bernice

Anderson.... Thank you for your interview with the juror... I hope that someone has the guts to face some of the terrible facts of this situation. As the juror said, they both were responsible. And, if either had done somthing differently than they did, then no tragic death would have occurred. Fact: any young man out at that time of night in a hoodie in a neighborhood that did not know him would have been stopped, and should have been stopped, no matter the skin color of anyone involved. If Mr. Martin had stopped, said he was just coming from the 7-11, or whatever, and that he would wait peacefully ntil the police arrived to clear him, then no fight would have occurred. If Mr. Zimmerman had stayed in his truck as the 911 dispatcher told him to do, then no fight would have occurred. These were not the facts on trial. What was on trial was that once the fight ensued, Mr. Zimmerman reacted in self-defense, fearing for his life as defined by the law. That is why he was found not guilt OF THE CHARGES BROUGHT IN COURT. If Mr. Martin had been the one with the gun and Mr. Zimmerman was killed, and the exact same charges were brought, then he would have also been found not quilty of the charges. Nothing in court had anything to do with why this all occurred. Both men were in the wrong....yes even Mr. Martin. Somebody in the press needs to have the guts to discuss this, instead of fuleing the racism fires. Even top government officials are fuleing racism fires. What needs to be taught, and what will keep our young men safe, is for them to learn that being out at that time of night, in a hoodie, in a place that doesn't know you,....etc., will put our young men of every color in danger. Learn to manage ones behaviors to consider the implications of our behaviors and attitudes so that we and they won't become another tradegy. Both men were at fault for the incident. Sorry...but true. Someone realistically discuss this please. Race relations are terrible, yes, but that is really not what this is all about. Any two people of any skin color in the same situation and acting the same ways would have been caught up in the same tragedy.

July 16, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Reply
    • Courtney S

what are you talking about being out at 7-9 o'clock is not a crime and you don't have the right to stop me if I'm walking through your neighborhood. This is AMERICA, hell some high school football games are played later than that. Also, wearing a hoodie doesn't make you a criminal, it makes you a person that doesn't want to get wet in the rain. Stop trying to blame the victim, did GZ announce who he was at anytime, no? did he call the police/ ambulance after shooting him,no, he wanted that kid to die if for no other reason than to protect his innocence after he fired the shot. climb out of your shell

July 17, 2013 at 8:25 am | Reply
  68. Lee

People from Virginia are all over Facebook saying that they have seen George Zimmerman out and about and enjoying himself...WOW...Looks like his attorney was wrong...he has his old life back!!!!

July 16, 2013 at 4:41 pm | Reply
  69. shervin

What did george handed to his lawyer which then he discreetly put in his pocket right after the verdict?? watch the video agai

July 16, 2013 at 3:50 pm | Reply
  70. Jason

If she didn't know how big the trial had become, why then write a book about a low profile case? Some things she says just don't add up.

July 16, 2013 at 2:55 pm | Reply
  71. barbara coulter

I wish that I had not viewed the interview with juror 347. It was depressing and disgusting. Her smug and arrogant comments about one of the witnesses showed me a lot about ingrained racism. How dare she talk about the witnesses " level of education" and the way that she spoke! How did she get inside he head to know that "the witness didn't want to be there". With jurors like her, Zimmerman could have shot Mother Theresa and gotten away with it! It is obvious that juror 37 had her mind made up right from the beginning. As for her tears and sadness–the only thing that she is sorry about is not being able to make a fortune by writing a book about it!! Disgusted and embarassed to be white.

July 16, 2013 at 2:24 pm | Reply
  72. Jerri Parker

Anderson: Many people appreciate your gift and personality of attempting to be honest and realistic even in controversial situations. I thoroughly appreciated your hands-on approach to the tragedy of Haiti a few years ago and how you showed extreme compassion to the children and people in their hour of devastation. In this last travesty, I appreciate your courage and candor, even though the facts and truth have been unfortunately compromised by the defense and others using the one-sided version of the defendant, George Zimmerman. African American people have been racially profiled and damaged by racism and devalued in the past and continued to this day. Did you read the e-book on Amazon by Robert Zimmerman, Sr.? He posted this terrible publication about a month ago and demonstrates his real feelings. It's unfortunate that Trayvon Martin's character was totally damaged, but George Zimmerman's past and actions excused. Justice for this dead teenager abd his family failed. May the Righteous Judge, our Creator, intervene and grant some truth before this travesty is forgotten.

July 16, 2013 at 1:55 pm | Reply
    • Greg Mazen

That was very eloquently stated. I too agree that Anderson has done an exceptional job respecting the sensitivity of this matter in his interviews and dialogue. The facts are limited unfortunately and no one will ever know the truth about what happened the evening Trayvon was killed. Juror B37 said that both individuals were wrong that evening. How is it that one is dead and the other walked out of the courtroom a free man? That is a huge pill to swallow as it makes such a condescending statement towards the value of human life. Of course the jury was tasked with a daunting decision and I can only accept what they came up with, however I disagree with it wholeheartedly and I pray that this incident serves as a catalyst for change, an example of injustice, and a wake up call for all Americans who truly value humanity.

July 16, 2013 at 3:15 pm | Reply