July 3rd, 2013

Teen Jailed for Facebook Post Has July 16th Bond Hearing

Justin Carter, a 19-year-old from Texas who was arrested in February for a Facebook post he made after playing a video-game, will appear in Comal County (Texas) District Court on Tuesday, July 16, for a bond hearing.

This development came after a new legal team agreed to take the case for free, according to CNN's Miguel Marquez.

"He's distraught, he's confused, he's sad. This is somebody who has never been to jail before," says his lawyer, Donald Flanary, who met with Carter for the first time on Tuesday.

Carter's father is emotional.

"I just want my kid back, he's my best friend and I miss him so much," says Jack Carter, Justin Carter's father. "I just want to tell Justin that we love him and that everybody is here for him, and that everything is going to be okay."

Carter was arrested in February for making a terroristic threat, which is a felony.

The threat came after playing the online game "League of Legends." In a post-game Facebook conversation, the person he was chatting with called him "f***ed up in the head." Carter responded with the following post:

"I'm f***ed in the head alright I'ma shoot up a kindergarten and watch the blood of an innocent rain down and eat the beating heart of one of them."

Carter's mother, Jennifer Carter, spoke to CNN Anchor Kate Bolduan this morning on "New Day."

"My son does have a dark sense of humor, but I think a lot of teenagers can have that sense of humor," she says.

Watch below. What do you think?

To hear more from Justin Carter's father, watch Bolduan's interview with him from Tuesday, July 2.

Posted by ,
Filed under: Social • Tech
  1. Segun.

the tongue is dangerous and can put a person to trouble. this young man did not know the implications of spoken words and unlike every other teen,he only wrote those words as a joke not expecting to get into trouble. to avoid other people getting into this kind of mess, I think the government should advise all social network to warn every body about what they post to the public. I think the teenage guy should be released and giving a last warning because not all words are taken for granted.he should have learn a lesson and other teens also.

May 8, 2014 at 4:40 pm | Reply
  2. Maine OUI Lawyer

I absolutely love your website.. Pleasant colors & theme. Did you make this website yourself? Please reply back as I’m trying to create my very own website and would love to find out where you got this from or just what the theme is called. Kudos!

October 18, 2013 at 12:45 am | Reply
  3. parking lot stencil

Hello there! This blog post couldn’t be written much better! Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He always kept talking about this. I’ll send this information to him. Pretty sure he’s going to have a great read. Thank you for sharing!

October 17, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Reply
  4. dagger

The very nature of the games is a dead giveaway. Players run around shooting and cutting and bombing opponents . . . what would you expect the comments to be? "Hey, isn't our government and police doing a wonderful job of protecting us from terrorists? We should bake them a cake!". The whiney female dog who reported it should be in prison for yelling 'fire' in a crowded theater along with those who arrested and prosecuted. Oh sh*t, did I type 'bombing'? Hope I don't go to prison for that.

July 12, 2013 at 10:04 pm | Reply
  5. Paul P

I know this goes right against the grain of what kids are taught nowadays by their parents, but what we have here is simply a case of a young adult (not a child, not a boy...) being held accountable for his actions. No more, no less. It's how
    a normal, civilized society functions. What this young fool did in the name of 'fun', is tantamount to joking about a bomb in an airport, or yelling "Fire!" in a movie theatre. We enjoy freedom of speech and expression, but this does not absolve us of the consequences those expressions might incur. His acts are indefensible. Time to grow up...

July 12, 2013 at 9:41 am | Reply
  6. Wraithly

Ok, lets see here, did you ever think that his parents did raise him right? Of course not we'll just jump to conclusions and pretend that he developed a dark sense of humor because he's an "out of control teen" and yes, he's still a teen. Look regardless of how well you're raised (the rod was never spared on me) you can develop a wide array of humor, I still have a dark sense of humor, my mother and father and step-father all knew this, but they aren't going to hit me hard enough in the face so I have to "pick every last tooth off the ground that was knocked out of it." This dude made a comment that was obviously not made in seriousness, and worse things have been said on the internet, but you don't see these kids being thrown in jail. These kinds of internet squables happen on a daily basis, get over it. People seem to be losing their sense of humor and becoming easily offended with everything and everyone. It's called sarcasm people learn it, it's a main language of kids these days.

July 12, 2013 at 9:25 am | Reply
  7. Richard

while I think what he said was sick that was no reason for this garbage but they(the system) do this kind of thing all the time...it is up to US to watch for it and regulate "them"

July 12, 2013 at 8:57 am | Reply
  8. Andrew Christie

You have to admit it was a dumb thing to say especially after what's been going on with all the shootings and the gun debates that has both the Democrats and Republicans fuming at each other.
    The Feds have no sense of humour in regards to things like this so one must be careful.

July 12, 2013 at 8:52 am | Reply
  9. B-ritt

Yes what he said was VERY crazy and shouldnt have been said but what I think is, this man said these things that they are now calling "Terroristic threats" yet there are actual terroist that are out there saying and doings things and no one is doing a darn thing about them. Them being the ones we should actually fear and put in jail. Not the "man" that says childish and stupid things on Facebook.

July 12, 2013 at 8:45 am | Reply
  10. kate gallagher

there is absolutely no justice, the police, justice system is a joke.

July 12, 2013 at 8:44 am | Reply
  11. mjosephlong

This young man, although 19 and considered an adult, is still growing up. I was still in my senior year of high school when I turned 19 years old. He still has a lot of growing up to do and obviously didn't even think (that's right, "think") about how his comment would be taken. It is a scientific fact that boys do not mature at the same rate as girls, therefore, this young man still thinks like a teenager even though he is 19 years old. He's a kid in a man's body! This does not make him crazy in the head, just immature. Do I think it was right that he wrote what he did, even if it was a joke.... No, I don't. It was a stupid, immature remark that he had no intensions of acting on. However, if it has been proven that there was not justification to back up a threat of terrorism, then he should have been released. I think they are taking this thing to the extreme and using him as an example to scare the living crap out of other teenagers. You think putting him in jail for 10 years is going to straighten him up. What it would end up doing is turn him into the social paths he would be spending his days with trying to learn how to survive. It's a stupid rationale. He's a young person who said something totally stupid. It's time to move on and let him learn from his mistake!

July 12, 2013 at 8:37 am | Reply
  12. Amber Smith

I hope this kid was only joking and that the 500,000 dollars was not wasted. I certainly know a few programs that could have used that money.

July 12, 2013 at 8:37 am | Reply
  13. mjosephlong

July 12, 2013 at 8:36 am | Reply
  14. Solomon Grundy

It sounds like people here think it's ok to send this kid to prison for bad taste.

What is wrong with you people?

July 12, 2013 at 8:33 am | Reply
  15. RacialVictim

Have all of the people who threatened Romney or Zimmerman been arrested or even questioned? Another case of America's double standard.

July 12, 2013 at 8:20 am | Reply
  16. Ben

Shame on you, CNN, for leaving out the rest of the chat transcript. That would have made it clear, in the kids VERY NEXT LINES that he was joking. But then you couldn't have this look controversial, and then no one would be arguing in these forums. All you care about is page hits, not the truth.

July 12, 2013 at 8:13 am | Reply
  17. Slapback1

If the people condemning this kid would take a moment to allow themselves some time to listen in on gaming forums, voice chat in Call of Duty (a popular example) or eavesdrop on their precious, innocent kids, they will see a side of their children they probably never knew existed. I have been immersed in this culture since T connections and coax cable. It's a profane, sarcarstic, lude and crewd culture but it is fun as all get out. :) I am also 36, in a senior position at a very large company and have been raised by Lutheran parents who were as strict as some of the God fearing people here. They were also encouraging of speaking ones mind and being open and honest. I can honestly say I have said worse than what this boy has said in the past. With the cultural climate in place, thanks to MSM, we have to fear what we say, where we say it and how we say it. This kid was obviously speaking off the cuff, could have been continuing a conversation outside of the voice chat they were using and was obviously SARCASTIC! Because some canuk decided they didn't like their comments, Texas burned thousands of dollars on resources to arrest a kid that said something taken out of context in a Facebook post. I hate Facebook. Come arrest me.... Still here. We have all been forcefully groomed to believe that we should watch what we say, jokingly or not. If you were raised by competent parents, you would know to do this already. If you speak outside of the norm, you are now looked at with conviction, judgement and if someone feels so inclined, they can have you arrested and put in jail for making an off color comment. People that think this dude is in jail for good reason should perhaps consider the future of their own children while in this culture. It is one of THE MOST popular mediums out there for kids and one of the most vile and putrid linguistically. Damning this kid for what he said is not how anyone should respond. For the religious types commenting: Judge not lest ye be judged. Let this kid of out jail and chalk it up to the further removal of our freedoms being sytematically eliminated all the while being policed by organizations that fleece us for our blood, sweat and tears.

July 12, 2013 at 8:08 am | Reply
  18. Henry Card

First off HE IS An adult not a kid!!! Secondly if his complexion was darker and/or his name was Mohamed Akbar we would singing praises to the local authorities for their quick action..... Thirdly didn't we all say the same thing about Columbine, Aurora and now Sandy Hook?? Where were the signs?? But it's white America until the next mass shooting takes one of your children!

July 12, 2013 at 8:02 am | Reply
  19. MattT

Wow. Clearly a joke.

What disturbs me most is that I have made nearly identical jokes myself. It was funny when I did it, its funny when he did it.
    Terroristic threat? Bull.
    1st Amendment violation? Yup

You know what? We all need to do what he did, else we run the risk of this happening again. I had a friend whose brother ended up on probation for making a joke about "going Columbine" on another friend. Utterly absurd.

Will I be arrested for saying this: "I can't believe people agree that he should be punished. I can't wait to find and eat their hearts. Nothing tastes better than idiots."

July 12, 2013 at 7:33 am | Reply
  20. Fia

Hopefully, he will now think twice before shooting his mouth off on a public site about killing children.

July 12, 2013 at 7:31 am | Reply
  21. Jim

it was left out of thjis news story that the next post by this kid was JK just kidding and LOL laugh out loud...a joke in poor taste but oh my isnt there plenty of poor taste humor out there ...JK and LOL he said some poor humor but a felony charge and in jail please

July 12, 2013 at 7:30 am | Reply
  22. Ben

Yes, I think the parent should be over a child for such use of language and disturbing, altogether wrong sense of humor, but lets face the facts. Crude language and a sense of humor so bad it sounds disturbed on a serial killer level is not against the law. If he is mentally disturbed, instead of just making the wrong sort of joke, he should be talking to a mental health professional, and NOT facing criminal proceedings. If he is simply in possession of a really wrong sense of humor, I'm thinking some quality time with Dad's belt could help, if it had been implemented around 10 years prior.

Either way, if a teenager can go to court for making an off color commit that they do not actually mean, what teenager in this country would NOT face trail? I'm not joking, can any out there honestly say that they have never said the wrong thing?

July 12, 2013 at 7:07 am | Reply
  23. kelly

While I agree with most of you that this is probably a joke you have to look at all sides of the spectrum as a parent i know that if this kid either now or 20 years from now went out and did anything to harm a child we would be yelling at our govt for not doing something about this the word has to get out that we take these things seriously b4 another sandy hook happens it is horrible the law had to do it instead of his parents its time to start being real parents and getting involved in our kids lives you dont know what your children do on the internet than you didnt raise them right or arent watching when did we become such a weak nation as parents that we had to respect our kids privacy? they are children they are bound to have poor judgement it is up to us to catch it and correct it or let your kids go to jail

July 12, 2013 at 7:02 am | Reply
  24. Jackie

Looks just like the Columbine kids before they shot up the school.

July 12, 2013 at 7:00 am | Reply
  25. Skipper

Never, ever underestimate the ability of teenagers to say and do incredibly stupid things. Especially when they are together in person or online with their peers. The internet is going to get more kids in trouble than marijuana or drinking and this is a perfect example. Even intelligent kids (which definitely does not appear to include Justin Carter) can post things online that they will regret later. Having said that, this nation also needs to re-invent the idea of common sense. Kicking kids out of kindergarten because their pop-tart "looked like a gun." Charging an idiot 19-yr old with a felony terroristic threat when 5 minutes of investigation would have revealed that he's just a moron. Etc

July 12, 2013 at 6:51 am | Reply
  26. Fran Devine

Oh, cry me a river! Why does everyone feel SORRY for this stupid brat? What if it were YOUR kid's kindergarten he had threatened to shoot up? Would you consider THAT a joke? Do you think the people in Sandy Hook think this is funny! He made a terroristic threat, and he knew that's what he was doing when he did it.

July 12, 2013 at 6:38 am | Reply
  27. Ajax

It will be a good lesson in responsibility for this incredibly adolescent boy. I laughed when as a defense, his parents said he doesn't watch the news. It's a new day and one just can't say any outrageous thing that pops into ones' head without owning it.

July 12, 2013 at 6:08 am | Reply
  28. angryersmell

What have we become? This story is just another sign of how far our society has drifted. Someone grab the flare gun; I no longer see the shore...

July 7, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Reply
    • Ajax

Don't worry. It's still there. If you shout "land ho!" you better be right. That's all.

July 12, 2013 at 6:09 am | Reply
    • kwdragon

Well stated.

July 12, 2013 at 8:30 am | Reply
    • Dan

....it's like were in a communist country....don't you feel it?......don't say that, don't say this, don't don't don't, and now we have a paranoid society exactly what the Government wants.

July 12, 2013 at 8:38 am | Reply
  29. Brian

This country is absurd. We allow that Phelps family spew hate about our soldiers deserving to die because of gays. These are grown religious nut balls who continually say these premeditated comments...yet some kid in an online chat room says something one time and you throw him in yell. Hypocritical much?

July 7, 2013 at 3:39 am | Reply
    • Brian

Jail*

July 7, 2013 at 3:40 am | Reply
    • Ajax

You are guilty of false equivalence.

July 12, 2013 at 6:11 am | Reply
  30. Teg

19 Year old man? 17 year old boy right? Zimmerman vs Carter. See a difference in the media? HE'S A MAN! NOT A BOY

July 6, 2013 at 7:36 pm | Reply
    • H

When was the last time you were a "Man" at 19? Legal age adult yes....but still a kid learning the world etc. He made a poor choice in joking but given the context of what is presented...this was in no way a terrorist threat. With clearly no intent to carry out. When have we as a society gotten to the point that we are so afraid of those around us that common sense does not prevail.

July 12, 2013 at 8:26 am | Reply
    • Guest

...except legally, a seventeen year-old male is a boy and a nineteen year-old male is a man. Don't turn this into a thing about race or media hatred.

July 12, 2013 at 8:43 am | Reply
  31. Mary G.

I read all these excuses that he is just a regular teen, kids that play these games do say these things, etc. I for one can tell you that if my teenager ever posted something like this, or even said it within my earshot, she wouldn't have to worry about jail. She would instead spend a good bit of time having my foot surgically removed from her hind quarters as well as looking for every last tooth I would knock out of her mouth. Parents have lost all control over children because we can no longer discipline them. I was raised with the idea spare the rod, spoil the child. Didn't take too many spankings for me to understand right from wrong. Guess what? I grew up just fine. I have children of my own, graduated college, hold down a full time job, and have no arrest record. When this country wakes up and realizes that children need structure and discipline instead of gold stars and trophies for "just trying" then maybe this country will make a turn for the better. As far as it not being logical for a terrorist not saying what they are going to before they do it, weren't there many videos from Binladen prior to the 9-11 attacks saying he hated America and we were going to pay? Instead of blaming games, society, entertainers, etc. for our kids issues how about we look in a mirror and start placing the blame where it belongs. Parents need to own up to their responsibility of raising their own children!

July 5, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Reply
    • Sally Hodges

Why don't we just create an Internet for minors where you have to register at the local police department to get your login ID. Only parents and kids can have access. The content will be filtered, so no porn, no chat room, no facebook, no adult bloges. That will keep kids off the comment pages for the news like CNN. A startup company would jump at the chance to make a product on the kids net to replace facebook.

Minors don't belong on the Internet. I have been a software engineer specializing in microcomputer systems for 27 years. I remember when the only way to communicate via computer was FTP and the only email was ELM. The internet has exploded into a really wonderful thing But it was NEVER designed to be used by minors.

Kick off the kids, get them their own secure network, and you solve most of the Internet problems parents are upset about. What blows my mind is that Congress has never considered it. The cost to sent up a Cray backbone using current cisco routers would not be THAT expensive and it would employ a lot of good system engineerrs and programmers who have lost their jobs due to outsourcing to India.

As for discipline, I agree with you. I don't believe in hurting a child or slapping them on the face or the ears. But a few slaps on the butt and the child uncerstands that you are serious.

I raise guinea pigs and they are very communicative animals. The mothers talk to their babies constantly and correct their behavior. When the babies were particularly naughty, the mothers would make this threatening squealing sound, completely different from their usual good-natured cooing and chuckling. Only ONCE in years of raising guinea pigs did I ever see corporal punishment. Two twin brothers about 3 weeks old were playing around one of my older guinea pigs. Finally, the older guy had enough of the twins jumping on his back, pulling his ears, and etc. The older guy stood up, grabbed one of the babies on the side, and shook him. Then he let go. That baby was the best behaved little guinea pig you ever say and to this day, he is very polite.

July 12, 2013 at 6:21 am | Reply
    • MommaJ

Mary, you are talking about beating your child so severely that your foot is embedded in her an-s, requiring SURGERY to fix, and she has NO teeth left? Her adult teeth, I presume? So she would need to wear dentures her entire life?

And beyond that, a beating that severe might not be survivable. Surely there would be head trauma, possibly brain and and permanent spinal damage.

And you say you "turned out just fine"?

I would think if I spoke about my own children that way, I would NOT be "just fine"... you just made threats to physically harm your child, severely. To the point that she needs surgery and is permanently disabled. (Not having your own teeth would be a form of disability, requiring prostheses for the rest of your life.)

You are no worse than the boy you're complaining about. At all. You threatened to seriously harm a child. No, you are not "just fine" – you are violent with a strong need to prove your dominance over the weak. Sad!

July 12, 2013 at 6:47 am | Reply
    • 1606td

Thank you for your parenting 101 Mary. Clearly, your children will make our world a better place & we have you & their lost teeth to thank. This isn't about your views as a parent of this young man's comments. It is about a young man making a comment that should in no way have him in jail.

July 12, 2013 at 6:58 am | Reply
    • Alex White

So you deride someones over the top comment about what he'll do by describing you're children needing 'my foot surgically removed from her hind quarters as well as looking for every last tooth I would knock out of her mouth'

So are you serious? If so, then you are in need of help, if not, then your point supports this kid 100%.

I'd day it's inappropriate, and if my kid spoke like that, I would definitely take issue, but he is a kid – laws about 18yo don't define out development, to think along those lines is submissive and infantile.

July 12, 2013 at 7:20 am | Reply
    • BB

I think you are describing a small portion of parents who don't parent. Most do parent and teach their kids. What I think I hear you saying is that you advocate throwing this kid in jail. Kids can be stupid, even 19 year old ones. If your kid did something stupid should we all judge you and throw your kid in jail? Didn't think so. Quit being so judgmental.

July 12, 2013 at 7:24 am | Reply
    • Marcin

I STRONGLY suspect you wouldnt feel this way if your daughter spent months in jail for making an insensitve post that someone misconstrued as a threat. i'm a father of a young daughter. if i saw that post i wouldnt think my daughter's life was at risk. I applaud the police for investigating a potential threat. I condemn an over-zealous legal system for arresting this young man and setting his bail so high his family couldnt afford to pay it.

July 12, 2013 at 8:00 am | Reply
    • Matt

@ Mary G
      You would really beat your children so severely that they would lose teeth?
      Or is that an exaggeration, similar perhaps to the one Justin Carter made?

July 12, 2013 at 8:08 am | Reply
    • FBI

Should I inform the authorities your children are living with someone clearly bent towards domestic violence?

July 12, 2013 at 8:09 am | Reply
    • G24U

You missed the point. This kids comments were taken out of context as he was being sarcastic. To compare hime to Bin Laden is exactly the same evil that is being perpetrated against him iby our legal system throwing him in jail since February. You speak of discipline, but this is jail; hardly a comparison. Next time you say something in public that someone doesn't like and reports you to the authorities, bet you would take a different point of view.

July 12, 2013 at 8:10 am | Reply
    • kj

how ridiculous. you think being able to freely beat our kids is the answer? if you assaulted an adult by spanking, hitting, slapping or whatever other method you deemed fit, you would be arrested and go to jail. but to do it to a child is okay in your books? there are other ways to discipline a child – like using an intelligent, patient, role model worthy approach. I have 3 children of my own (who's media content is strictly monitored and does not include violent video games), and although I have had trying moments, like all parents, have never ever felt that hitting my kids was any kind of an answer. your ideas send us back to the dark ages!! I am glad your kids are grown now and pray they don't continue the cycle with their own children. it has no place in a civilized society.

July 12, 2013 at 8:31 am | Reply
    • Shostakovicz

Yes, because abusing your children is the proper response to anything they do with which you disagree. Moron.

July 12, 2013 at 8:33 am | Reply
    • Tyler Durden

Mary, I find your comment to be a confession of child abusive tendencies. But don't worry, as the self appointed thought police, I have notified you local police who will hunt you down, take your children, and hold you indefinitely demanding $500,000 bail.

July 12, 2013 at 8:50 am | Reply
  32. Bill

Ever see the insensitive jokes on popular comedy shows like South Park or Family Guy? When we KNOW the context, nobody gets arrested nor prosecuted. This guy (kid) thought his audience understood the context in that split second he typed the comment. However, they did not. But when prosecutors got involved, the context should have been clear based on the circumstances. This is when common sense should kick in. I feel so sorry for this guy and hope he moves beyond this.

July 5, 2013 at 10:05 am | Reply
    • jofb716

You mean the jokes by comedians? On a comedy show? On a comedy channel?

When is a joke that absolutely no one gets, isn't considered funny at all, and is only considered humor when there's potential for trouble...when is that a joke exactly?

Tree in the forest...

July 12, 2013 at 8:01 am | Reply
      • farcebook

but social media is a joke....

July 12, 2013 at 8:55 am |
  33. Erc

I guess we should have pre-law courses in elementary school. On the other hand, the world is so crazy now... thank gawd Im not a kid during this day and age.

July 4, 2013 at 7:46 pm | Reply
  34. Heather Hudson

I have a teenage son and you know what-I find it absolutely appauling what your son said on-line and equaly appauling that you his mother make excuses for him,saying that he just has a dark sense of humor like alot of teens. My son never speaks or thinks in these ways-there is something wrong when a teen starts talking like this and saying the things he said-there is no joke ever especially with what's been happening in our world today with all the school shootings etc.. Just saying....Your son needs help plain and simple!

July 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Reply
    • Joy C

Yes, what Jason said was disturbing, but it doesn't necessarily mean he "needs help", or should be charged with a felony. I'm so glad that you can be certain of how your teenager would act and what he would say. I work with a lot of teenagers in my job, and I am sure their momma's would be appalled by the garbage that comes out of their mouths and would never have expected it.

July 4, 2013 at 12:34 am | Reply
    • Josh

Are you think in the head? This is obviously a joke, a joke which KIDS make. If you going to go this far over a joke, then you should start sending every little elementary kid to jail as well. They often say "I'm going to kill you" when they are upset. Once again a kid that needs to learn how the world works. Putting him in prison for 10 years isn't going to make him learn about the world at all. He will be confined and separated from the world, thus learning even less. Even with that aside, if someone was really going to plan a terrorist type of attack, they would not openly protest what they are going to do. It's just unlogical. The world has become a petty kindergarden playground. All people want to do is cry boo hoo my feelings are hurt, and get people they don't like sent away instead of being a fucking adult and learning how to handle things. This poor KID has spent 5 months in jail, a scarring experience for a joke. All that really needed to be done is throw him in jail for a weekend or something. That would give him a taste of what would happen if he ever thought of doing it again. Not ruin this kids future.

July 4, 2013 at 1:49 am | Reply
      • calendarman27

This "Kid" is nineteen years old. he is old enough to be in college and/or have a job and have adult responsibilities. we can't say that just because it is a joke kids make makes this nonsense okay, because if that is the case, which i do think it is, that's just terrifying. people, not just kids, need to know that that kind of hateful, scary language is not okay, especially over something as pointless as a videogame. This Man thought that he was immune to consequences for his callous and idiotic behavior and now that it is clear he is not, he and his family are treating the situation like a hotheaded argument between 8-year-olds. that isn't what happened here. a full grown man said ridiculous and illegal things and if he meant them he does not belong with mainstream society whereas if he did not mean them, he's old enough he should know better. and it wasn't something he said in a heated moment, not that that would be an excuse either, it was something he typed out in full on a computer so he had plenty of time to stop and realize how stupid and callous he was being. people get away with this kind of nonsense hundreds of times a day because they think free speech allows them to act like hateful childish monsters. it does not. you cant say fire in a movie theater and you cant threaten someone and claim it's freedom of expression. that's just not the way the first amendment works. also, if you would read about the various domestic terrorism that has occurred in the last few years, you will find that indeed there were several public declarations of intentions of violence for several of these incidents.

July 8, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
    • Jacob

Ma'am with all due respect you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Saying your son never speaks or thinks in these was is just flat out ignorant. You are not around your kid 24/7 nor can you read his thoughts. The MOBA genre... the genre of game that League of Legends hails from is very competitive and usually full of heated players slinging profanities at each other left and right. Look at several of the comedians many people pay money to see today ... Lewis Black, Louis C. K., Daniel Tosh, George Carlin for gods sake.... I could go on, all of these comedians have extremely dark senses of humor. Justin Carter grew up in a time completely different from yours.... saying he needs help solely because he made a small, insignificant comment over the internet is ridiculous. There are thousand of children exactly like him, me and my friends included, and saying that someone should either get help or go to jail due to an enraged comment is in my opinion a bit over the top. Think about the last time you got road rage.... should you go to jail for giving that guy the bird? or slinging several curse words his way? What Justin said was blown up into threats of terrorism when it was really just a sarcastic comment that is easily protected by the first amendment. I'm not trying to be rude... just simply trying to provide a clear level-headed view from the opposite side of the spectrum... sorry if I have offended you in any way I just feel your response is a bit outlandish and lacks sense.

July 4, 2013 at 5:20 am | Reply
      • Dan

You should probably give up trying to talk sense into her. She's clearly a bible beater living in her own reality and doesn't have a clue about how the world actually works for the rest of us.

July 6, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
    • necrom23

Ma'am I implore you to look at "A Modest Proposal", a satirical dark humor proposal written by Jonathan Swift (of Gulliver's Travels fame) back in 1729. In it, he satirically proposes that the poor eat their own children because of the poverty being stricken upon them by the English. I don't recall him having been jailed for his dark sense of humor. In fact, I recall him being taught in high schools as the model of satire. And yet this kid, who basically did the same thing is being jailed. Funny how we're living in a free society and yet we're more repressed than a 1729 writer (who although having published this anonymously, was given credit for it.. and yet no jail time).

July 6, 2013 at 12:23 am | Reply
      • calendarman27

what this man did was NOT satire, it wasn't. it was him being petulant and stupid, he had no greater design in his efforts and to compare him to john milton or any satirist in any way shape or form is a grave insult to the entire institution of free speech.

July 8, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
    • Chris

Heather wake up and realize that we are not all the same,you obviously lack compassion and want to lump everyone together and expect them to react the same as you do.Yes the kid said some dumb stuff,but thats how kids are regaurdless of you opinion.Try showing a little forgiveness,it could be your son even if you think it couldn't.

July 6, 2013 at 2:29 pm | Reply
    • Steve

You've unfortunately bought into all the hype. It was not very smart things for him to say but he hardly deserves to be put in prison, quite damaging to a young 18 yr old just for putting an ugly comment on facebook.

"especially with what's been happening in our world today with all the school shootings" Your kids have a lottery chance of being caught up in school shooting. Stop being so dramatic as if it is happening everyday. Get a hold of yourself and stop buying your kids bullet proof backpacks.

July 6, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Reply
    • The One True God

My answer is the only true answer. ALL of the officers, DA's and judges of Comal County, TX should be arrested and put in prison for breaking the law. They had zero evidence or right to arrest Justin Carter and instead of admitting negligence and bias they will keep trying to cover it up and justify it with a prosecution. The FBI and the Justice Department need to come in swiftly and arrest all of these criminals. Justin Carter did not specify a target and certainly had no intention or means to commit any crime he described in jest.

Persons who have threatened US Presidents in writing have been deemed less threatening than Justin Carter.

I also believe that anyone who support his incarceration and a conviction should be arrested and exiled; ANYONE and I mean ANYONE who supports the criminals of Comal County, TX is a traitorous American and should be exiled. I'd prefer that they hang or be shot by firing squad for treason but some people may object.

July 8, 2013 at 3:42 am | Reply
      • MattT

Sadly, this does not reach the level of criminal misconduct.
        However, whoever decided to prosecute needs to be fired. Clearly, they are insufficiently intelligent to be entrusted with the duties and powers of the office.

The judge should have tossed this the instant it hit his bench. Sadly, I fear we may be on the verge of a moral panic.

Would it be a terroristic threat if I said I was going to eat a bunch of fast food tacos and ride in an elevator with the prosecutor?

July 12, 2013 at 7:42 am |
    • Arekasu

what he said isn't uncommon to see people say online. especially in games like that. worse has been said. it is very very dark, but having that dark sense of humor is not something that people should go to prison for. anyone that doesn't understand that it is sarcasm needs mental help just as much, if not more than he does.

July 8, 2013 at 8:34 pm | Reply
      • Wade

Agreed!

July 12, 2013 at 8:28 am |
    • Amy

Then you have no clue about teens this day and age..really they go and watch movies like Hostel and you are really going to sit there like you are some miss perfect plz....whatever!

July 12, 2013 at 7:13 am | Reply
    • Understanding Young Person

It's called sarcasm.

July 12, 2013 at 7:16 am | Reply
    • Wade

I'm sorry but that's a matter of opinion. I enjoy dark, tasteless humor, as do a lot of people, and that does not mean I was raised wrong. Just because you don't agree with what he said, does not make it wrong.

July 12, 2013 at 8:27 am | Reply
    • Solomon Grundy

If your mother/son dynamic falls within the normal range of parental relationships, you likely have no idea what your son thinks at all.

We have a society where we shame one another into playing along a lot of the time, and our early years teach us not only that others will judge us for what we do and don't do, they'll judge us whether they understand us or not.

Parents are where we learn to lie, keep secrets, and become the multi-faceted people who we are. It's not even about dividing our lives between the private and the public, mostly it's about avoiding the judgements of others when we make choices they might not approve of for any reason – it's easier to lie to parents than to convince them that your job..girlfriend..social habits...friends..hobbies...aspirations...etc.. all meet with their particular bent on the world.

July 12, 2013 at 8:39 am | Reply
    • derrick

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. This is our 1st right, and locking anyone up for exercising this right is hypocritical to the persons who wrote this plain and simple.

July 12, 2013 at 8:42 am | Reply
    • Lynne

Yes, I totally agree! And his mother saying he just has a "dark sense of humor" is BS. This wasn't a knock, knock joke, it was a statement made about shooting up kindergarteners! Does anyone remember last December in CT? How about Columbine? How about a movie Theatre? In all of these cases all of America said if only someone had said something about what these people were up to, or that they had concerns about them. If this "kid" thinks its funny about shooting up children and eating their heart, then yes he and his f*ing mother are disturbed!! Listen loud and clear, you make threats, you get locked up!!

July 12, 2013 at 8:49 am | Reply
    • pete

Sorry, but i'm sure your son does talk like that, just not in front of you. I heard kids talk like that in high school all the time growing up. They say really F'd up things because they think they are funny. You're delusional if you think it's not true. Try going into a call of duty match and hear the way kids talk when they are granted anonymity...

July 12, 2013 at 9:29 am | Reply