June 24th, 2013

Fallout for Paula Deen, Reactions

Paula Deen has been dropped by a major sponsor, Smithfield Foods, after it was revealed that she admitted using a racial slur in a lawsuit deposition against her and her brother filed by a former employee.

She filed apologies online on Friday. Shortly after, the Food Network said they were not renewing her contract and putting and end to her three shows.

This morning, Pamela Brown took a look at how Deen could also be in danger of losing her QVC deal and how, despite it all, some fans have come to her defense.

Watch now.

Tune-in to "New Day" on CNN from 6-9am ET for continued updates.

Posted by
Filed under: Headlines • News
  1. Bill

Paula made 2 mistakes. First she made the comment with the infamous N word in it. Second she lied about it. Who cares. People lie about stuff everyday. People use words they shouldn't every day. SO WHAT. And as far as all of these big corporate sponsors who have sliced and diced her. Look in your own closets and see what is hiding in there before you castrate someone else. Is there anyone of these corporate CEO's who have not done the same thing in public much less behind closed doors. Paula others have been knocked down and come back stronger than ever. So will you.

June 28, 2013 at 10:43 pm | Reply
  2. J

I see hypocrisy in this. African-Americans use this same derogatory comment toward each other, yet nothing is said. Shame on all who use this word, regardless of race, creed, gender, gender preference, etc.
    Is Wal-Mart dumping Kanye West?

June 27, 2013 at 8:12 am | Reply
  3. Gail

I think this is being blown out of proportion. As high profile as she is, she should have settled the lawsuit. It sounds familiar to the greed that took down Martha Stewart. I don't think she's racist. I believe her when she says she is remorseful. At least she was honest under oath. That says a lot about her character. Unfortunately, her sponsors had no choice but to cut her loose having testified under oath. I think she will make a huge comback. But, first, she needs to dump her brother. He's the one that got her into this mess.

June 25, 2013 at 12:23 pm | Reply
  4. Mike

All you haters make me sick.She apologized over and over again.Whats sad It happen 30 yrs ago.Get over It.The employee seen how much money she was making so he whinned about what happen 30 yrs so he could make a fast buck, so he wouldn't have to work anymore.Thats pathetic.There alot of supporters for Paula and I am one.How many of you used a word like that.Thing about It that before you judge someone.

June 25, 2013 at 12:11 pm | Reply
    • Nikki

I wish you all would take a few minutes to read the complaint filed against them, it is available on line. If just some of what's being alleged is true, its totally disgusting. These incidents were not 30 yrs ago more like the recent past and Paula Deen seems to have allowed and even condoned an atmosphere of fear, hate racism and sexism in her establishments. I'm hoping this suit doesn't get settled so it will go to trial and all will be revealed in testimony from the many witnesses. There is a difference between using a derogatory word once in your life and systematic racism and sexism when you hold power over the lives of your employees. Her partners are dropping her because they have read the complaint and know there is much more to come.

June 27, 2013 at 9:24 am | Reply
      • terri

Then we are all guilty and we all need to pay.

July 1, 2013 at 7:45 am |
  5. Emma Fisher

I applaud The Food Network for not renewing Paula Deen's contract and believe that QVC and Walmart should do the same. Paula has demonstrated a gross display of racial insensitivity and extreme lack of judgment with her comments. She has failed to understand how the negligible amount of "white privilege" which she has grown up under in a very racist south has afforded her and her family a continued life of benefits. Meanwhile, many black men and women who are her age and older have yet to be given an official acknowledgment or Presidential Apology for slavery and the continued effects on those decendents of slaves. Many groups like the Native Americans, Japanese and our Jewish brothers and sisters have not only received an official apology, but have also been given, reparations in the form of govt. land, forgiven debt and billions of dollars in annual grants to support our friends in Israel. Her suggesting to host a Southern Slavery party in 2013 is reprehensible and speaks volumes of anyone who chooses to continue supporting a person who feels this is somehow "ok or harmless" and not majorly offensive. A few years ago, a CNN anchor by the name of Rick Sanchez was fired for simply making the comment: "I'm telling you that everybody who runs CNN is a lot like Jon Stewart, and a lot of people who run all the other networks are a lot like Stewart, and to imply that somehow they – the people in this country who are Jewish – are an oppressed minority? Yeah." [sarcastically] Mr. Sanchez quickly apologized but was still fired. If Mr Sanchez's comments were grounds for being fired, then certainly Paula Deen should be fired and held accountable for her comments. Additionally, as more of her employees continue to come forward, perhaps she should consider using a portion of her $24Million Dollars to establish a museum of tolerance for more racial equality in the racist South of which she is so proud to have come.

June 25, 2013 at 10:30 am | Reply
  6. Murdock21

Unfortunately, I too was a fan of Paula Deen's cooking. Since being outed as a bigot, I refuse to support her any longer. Now, she appears to be a typical southern racist with no empathy for those who suffered at the hands of white oppressors. Her sons came on this morning to defend their mother. Off course they will defend her, that's their mother. However, they cannot change what came out of her own mouth!! I hope other endorsements follow in line with Smithfield & The Food Network. Cooking crosses all color lines and prejudices. Food makes people feel good, and being a celebrity chef, Paula Deen should know that.

June 25, 2013 at 9:08 am | Reply
  7. J Baxter

re: Paula Deen:
    I wonder how many people there are in America, black or white, who haven't used the exact same language at some time in their lives. According to reports, the comments by her were an awfully long time ago. If it was recent I'd understand. If everyone who ever said that word, in their lifetime was fired from their job, everyone in America would be unemployed. What hypocrisy.
    PS. I'm no longer a customer of Smithfield foods, nor a viewer of the food channel.
    PS. PS. I've never even watched Paula Dean, nor do I have an agenda to help her. I am just appalled by the
    stupidity that is becoming a norm in the American culture.

June 25, 2013 at 8:31 am | Reply
  8. Billy LaRocque

I am not a fan of Paula's. But she apologized for using a racial slur, accept the apology and move on. What more is needed, her scalp?

June 25, 2013 at 8:26 am | Reply
  9. mary kirby

Food Network, Smithfield Ham (BIG MISTAKE) This is just like Bobby said a case of EXTORTION) pure and simple, for the media to take one (1) word of a ex-employee that is mad at the world and go after someone like Paula Deen makes me so mad, she started with nothing selling sack lunches to support her family and has made a empire to be proud of. And this is just WRONG so why don't you start telling all the GOOD she does instead of dwelling on (THE WORD)

June 25, 2013 at 8:11 am | Reply
  10. William Rosa

Look, I am a "black hispanic" and I don't see a racist in Mrs. Paula Deen or her kids, I know racist and they are "white, black, latino, etc.". It seems as if some of the people who are racist are using comments that she made with no Malice to make her and other non "racist" "white people" bitter, angry and possibly anti "black" as a result. Instead of helping quote "race relations" it is inciting "racial" tension and causing people to internalize unhealthy feelings. If she apologize then let it go at that!

June 25, 2013 at 8:08 am | Reply
  11. Nate Spade

Being from the South & close to Paula's age, I understand that in the past she may have used the n-word, without directing it towards an individual. Here in the South, we went through many phases of what was acceptable. In college I had a conversation about the Black Panthers with a fellow student. She became irate because I referred to her as 'a young black lady' (thinking since she liked the Black Panthers she wanted to be identified as 'black')! Over the years there were many mixed signals, what was acceptable changed daily. I take offense at being referred to (by Oprah & others) as being 'vanilla' (bland in color and taste)! The past is the past, all we can do is learn from it & move forward. Give Paula a break, at least she is HONEST...guess that counts for nothing now-a-days.

June 25, 2013 at 8:04 am | Reply
  12. John Bland

The son are of a new generation but they are not telling the truth, as a black kid, I could not tell my mother who grew up in the racist South that "you should keep the house clean like white people", even though black people were cleaning up their houses. The point is that you can not talk back to parents and especially Southern mothers, so you endure it. Fortunately, my mother did not go on TV in New York last year and say it. Last year, not 40 years ago and that is the problem with Mrs Dean, and please do not think that she and brother did not hurt black people and most likely some white people with their comments and actions along the way. We have probably only heard a bit of it.

June 25, 2013 at 8:01 am | Reply
  13. Lisa

Ok, people,,,,,come on!!! "He who is without sin cast the first stone". I believe Paula Deen and her sons. I have watched many of her shows and saw how she relates to people of all races. I view myself as someone who can see through people and know who is true and who are false. I have been a nurse for 17 years and have met a variety 0f people myself. She is a fun loving, sweet/sincere person who is grateful for what she has been given in life. I do believe this is just what her sons said, someone is ticked off with her and is retaliating. This is a bunch of B.S.

June 25, 2013 at 7:54 am | Reply
  14. DAnderson

This entire issue with Paula Deen has been blown up to an unreasonable amount. They asked if she ever in her life said it The woman is 65 years old! She was being honest and told the truth. Now she apologized. I will not watch Food Network anymore unless this over reaction is taken care of. It's absurd.

June 25, 2013 at 7:54 am | Reply
  15. Joan S

Anyone of Paula's generation raised in the south ,if truthful will tell you they have used the N word.It was a different time and hopefully we have all grown.This is getting past crazy.Is the lesson here don't tell the truth?Or never accept an I'm sorry?

June 25, 2013 at 7:52 am | Reply
  16. Trayce

Paula Deen made a mistake. She was raised in the south during a time when racism was alive & rampant. I do not think it condones her actions or words but she was honest about her transgressions & apologized. We have ALL said or done something hurtful or disrespectful we regret & wish we could take back. She's facing her demons & asking for forgiveness. Anyone who can say they will never need to do the same is lying to themselves. I believe she is heartfully sorry & deserves a chance to redeem herself.

June 25, 2013 at 7:50 am | Reply
  17. John Johnson

I feel sorry for Paula Deen. I can't believe that she is being torn to shreds by the media over something she said in the past. What person has never at least once used the N word in the past. I did. But I haven't in many years and I do not today. Are we all going to be held accountable for words we said years ago and have our lives turned upside down because of it? I would hope not. We all have learned over the years that that word or other derogatory words are not acceptable and we have moved past the use of them.

June 25, 2013 at 7:49 am | Reply
  18. Angela Adger

I am African American and am a fan of Paula Dean. I am sadden that she had used that word. However, I don't think she should have been fired. Someone like Imus: yes, because he was known for racial slurs. I don't like the fact that some Blacks used the word...even in comedy. When we look at history that word was common place for both whites and blacks. Because of black history in this nation, I don't thinks Whites should ever use the word. As for Blacks who are still using the word is out of complete ignorance. Although, it may not be coming from the same place as a White who uses it...it is still an awful word. The word not only demeans the Black it stated that they were not even human. It is awful and should never be said. Give Paula Dean her job back and her endorsements back.

June 25, 2013 at 7:49 am | Reply
  19. Janet Whie

I believe that Paula Deen is not a racist but a product of America's race card. Black people can call each other "nigga" and that is OK. I see it in any movie, on the street, "Friday with Ice Tea", all acceptable among their own black race, but do not dear hear it out of the mouth from another race, or it becomes a witch hunt. This issue has become out of control, and is not racist at all. Our family will not be watch the Food Network, or purchase from any other sponsor who penalizes Paula unfalsely.

June 25, 2013 at 7:46 am | Reply
  20. Tina Stuckey

I honestly don't believe she should be stripped of everything she worked for.. We all use "words" in our private day to day settings...so what!! I still love Paula Deen but most importantly, God still lives her as should we.. We all make mistakes..

June 25, 2013 at 7:45 am | Reply