June 19th, 2013

Tom Stalcup on What Really Happened to TWA Flight 800

Tom Stalcup, Co-Producer of the "TWA Flight 800" documentary premiering July 17th, talks about how he came across 6 whistleblowers who claim that the original NTSB investigation was falsified. The original investigation determined that the plane went down due to internal failures, but some evidence suggest that the explosion may have been caused by an outside factor. Tom Stalcup spoke with Chris Cuomo on the details.

Posted by
Filed under: Headlines • Videos
  1. Amedio Matteucci

I will never forget what I saw on the news bulletin. It was on one of the major networks. They said that TWA 800 had gone down and then showed a home video recording shot during a party on a balcony. The guy filming said what the heck is that, as what sure as hell looked to be a missile, went surface to air, found the plane, there was a big fiery explosion and you could see the flaming wreckage falling to earth. they showed that video twice and it was never seen again. I looked at my dad, a Korean war vet, who still had his mouth hanging open from what he had seen on national television and said they just shot that f......king plane down. I know what I saw that day and some gutless bastards in this government need to come clean!!!!!

March 14, 2014 at 7:52 pm | Reply
    • Ron

I remember this or something like this and I was 7 or 8 at the time . Wasn't the balcony made of brown wood ?

July 23, 2014 at 2:03 am | Reply
  2. Cheryl R.

I just hope that this investigation is re-opened. One cannot listen to the people in the documentary speak without smelling something really rotten with this investigation and therefore our government. I am beyond words angry right now.

January 26, 2014 at 2:53 am | Reply
  3. Al Mirbach

Just watched it on Netflix and the inescapable conclusion is that it was a missile(s) and the investigation was scripted to turn it into the accident. Forensic engineering and medical evidence, radar data, eyewitness accounts, documented sabotage of the investigation, evidence doctoring, official dis/misinformation, contradictory, inconsistent and/or impossible official explanations, bizarre investigative procedures are all credibly documented. They're trying to reopen the investigation and I hope they succeed.

December 3, 2013 at 3:20 am | Reply
  4. Robert

I just finished watching TWA Flight – 800, and what was not mentioned were the HAM operators that were ease dropping on the Navy (a favorite pass time) and how during the Navy's training session panicked when the first missile that passed the jumbo jet turned back on itself and targeted it.

November 14, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Reply
  5. Dottie R

My husband was a structures engineer, accident investigator and a DER for the FAA and never believed the final report. Bless your efforts Tom, for the pursuit of truth.

November 1, 2013 at 2:36 am | Reply
  6. French invest. (retired)

Sorry, I writte in french, it's easer for me.

J'ai participé dès les premières heures à l'enquête sur l'accident du TWA 800 auprès du NTSB en tant que représentant accrédité Français (Annexe 13 OACI). Je suis régulièrement sollicité pour rejoindre les contradicteurs. Je comprends que leur souhait n'est pas de relancer l'enquête mais avant tout de démontrer que leur théorie d'un événement extérieur au B747 est la bonne. Mon travail d'enquêteur n'a jamais consisté à démontrer telle ou telle théorie a priori mais à établir des faits pour ensuite les analyser. Les contradicteurs font l'inverse contre toute logique. Je pense que les motifs qui les animent n'ont pas grand chose à voir avec la manifestation de la vérité.
    Ma confiance va à mes collègues du NTSB, au FBI et aux autorités de la justice américaine.

October 5, 2013 at 2:46 am | Reply
  7. Sandra Moore

I lost a daughter, Pamela Crandell, on TWA 800. I never believed anything they ever told us. My heart and prayers go out too Tom Stelcup and all the brave men who came forward. I want to know how to be on board in regards to this investigation and I would like to know the outcome. Thanks, and God Bless.

Sandra Moore MD

September 23, 2013 at 10:39 am | Reply
    • Linda Cassard

Sandra – I look at the evening sky so often and think of Pam. Over the years, I have read everything published about the flight. I will watch this documentary tonight. I will never forget her. A beautiful soul.

-love to you.
      Linda Cassard

August 17, 2014 at 9:55 pm | Reply
  8. April A

I worked for a small commuter outfit in1996. I will never forget July 18th, the day after the tragedy! My security printer printed security directives all day long! About 2 hours after my shift began I knew that the FAA thought this to be a terrorist attack of some kind. When the official report came out that it was the center fuel tank, I knew in my gut that it was us instead and they were covering up an accident. After seeing this documentary, I feel someone or something was on that plane that someone felt it needed to come down, despite the collateral damage. I hope that some day the families have closure.

September 9, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Reply
  9. David

Who was on the plane that someone needed to take out?

August 20, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Reply
    • Brad Sawyer

LINK:whatreallyhappened.com/RANCHO/CRASH/TWA/PASSENGERS.htm
      Check out passenger Beatty, Charles, 50, senior systems engineer with the Naval
      Surface Warfare Center in Dahlgren, Va.; of Spotsylvania, Va.

The Dahlgren Division is a Navy Research and Development Center
      located 50 miles east of Washington DC. The work mainly involves
      the development of requirements and software to support the AEGIS US
      Naval ships. The Weapon System computer program generates commands for
      the control of Standard Missiles, Harpoon missiles, 5' guns,
      interceptor aircraft, ASW aircraft, and helicopters and to furnish
      designation data for the 20mm Phalanx and 5" gun weapon systems. The
      FCS directs illumination on the target for missile homing.

Ed Note: Espionage scenario. Check out Aegis missile system.

October 20, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Reply
    • Jason

I'm with you 100% the only thing I could conceive is they wanted someone takin out!!! If so what a shame to affect that many lives for one or two!!!! This is why i don't trust the government!!!!they'll keep doing this and keep trying to get away with it!!

October 31, 2013 at 2:51 pm | Reply
  10. GRRY Facon

My wife was on the connecting flight to flight 800 to Paris. There was a very strange man on her flight (that sat right behnd her) that disrupted the flight and almost had to be restrained upon landing. Toward the end of her flightth man changed into a woman, trashed he restroom, and bolted off the plane to make his connection on flight 800. The really odd part was that his/her seat was exactly where the explosion occured on flight 800.

In all fairness, this person may not have had the same seat on flight 800, but my wife who is a travel agent, says that there is a high liklihood that he/she had a seat very close to the one he/she had on her flight.

When she reported this to the FBI, they returned her call but never followed-up. Additionally, when my wife told her story to a local newspaper reporter (a friend of ours) in Long Beach California, the reporter was all but threatend by the FBI if he printed the story.

This person could well have been an unwhitting courrier, as he did not know how to open one of his carry-on bags to do his changing act from man to woman before he changed planes. There could well have been explosives in one of his carry-on bage. What do you think ? And why didn't the FBI follow-u ?

June 30, 2013 at 1:37 pm | Reply
  11. Tim Russell

Why is CNN airing this modified documentary from 2006 NOW? Answer is to get "ahead of the story" in an effort to build doubt in the eyes of the public and to cast aspersions on the credibility of those now coming forward before their side of the story can be told. A clear case of the MSM doing the government's dirty work in order to keep the public mindset in line.

June 24, 2013 at 12:42 am | Reply
  12. bob

Yes I saw three missiles come from the grassy knoll. They hit the plane as it was coming on the lawn of the Pentagon. No one was in the area but some how fire engines put the fire out and the debris was gone. Yes it was caused by the grassy knoll.

June 23, 2013 at 8:06 am | Reply
  13. Karen Heckmann

Flight 800
    I remembering from the tv news of Flight 800 in 1996, that
    a passenger had vails of airborne virus in an onboard suitcase.

June 20, 2013 at 6:11 pm | Reply
  14. frankcanadian

Check the timeline with U.S. military exercises in the area, say, within a 100-mile radius east and south of where the plane went off the radar. Check with live early news video of the event.
    Also, check out veteran newscaster (Joe) Schlesginger (O.K., sounds like) theories a fair while later suggesting the tragedy was the result of an errant U.S. naval exercise missile.
    I was at the folks' place that evening when an interesting program was interrupted for a breaking event.

June 19, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Reply
  15. L D

CNN, if you have recordings of your early reporting on this crash, you have the proof that the plane did not go down because of an internal explosion. You aired a video of a bright projectile rising from almost ground level to the plane. The explosion was at the point of their intersection. The video was aired repeatedly during the intitial reporting and then never seen again.

June 19, 2013 at 11:17 pm | Reply
  16. Evan Stevens

George Bovs:
    John Goglia, a member of the five-person NTSB during the investigation, said he "took offense" at the filmmakers' suggestion that board members ignored evidence. "I would never be part of any coverup - period," he told CNN.
    "This accident, this report, over 50,000 pages, if you take and just look at certain pieces of it, you can move the cause of this accident any way you want. You can take just the radar; you can say it was a missile. You have to take all of the pieces and look at them as a whole.
    "The sequencing report that told how the airplane fell apart, none of it supports a missile - none of it. When you look at the physical evidence inside the tank, it's clear that there was an explosion inside the tank. If the top of the tank goes up and the bottom of the tank goes down, and the forward side goes forward and the back of the tank goes back, that tells you that the blast was inside the tank - not outside."
    He said that no holes were found in the tank that would indicate something had penetrated it.
    But the documentary asserts that a missile may have exploded adjacent to the plane.
    This shows that the NTSB found it was a problem with the plane, which casts suspicion on the aircraft manufacturer, but you're right about the money; just look at all the trouble someone is going through to insinuate a coverup. At the time, I guess the same source of money thought a sensational sexual affair was a more effective tool for undermining the results of a national election than a plane crash. I point out the motives of CNN – scandles increase sales, and they have to make a living.

June 19, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Reply
  17. Tom

Just checked out the news clip about flight 800. I do not have any personal relationship with this story. However, I do remember this very clearly. A few days after the crash I just happened to watch a show on CSPAN. There was this guy who was showing north Atlantic radar of military jets that cruise the area daily. The jets do missile lock on training. I do believe that a missile had something to do with this. One missile was lunched perhaps by accident and the Gov. had to save face. The 747 fleet has been flying for decades I would think that there should have been other fuel tank problems before this one. I am sad about the lost of life but these things happen....

June 19, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Reply
  18. Henry

Is a book" fly800 twa"that explain in detail how and what happened that day. The missile didn't have explosives,,only pinched the tank. Was,a naval test,between L.I. sound and Baltimore acc.was because misunderstand of hour and altitude clearance.As the book explained.

June 19, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Reply
  19. TeamCNNCNN

Hi George,

Thanks so much for weighing in on this topic, and offering up your input of the industry's role in this story. For the updates on this story and more, stay tuned to CNN!

-Olivia, CNN Viewer Communications

June 19, 2013 at 4:13 pm | Reply
  20. George Bovs

This is obvious
    Reading between the lines and as a pilot.

The major airlines have a vested interest in this going down as it did.
    They want the NTSB to find as they did....they do not want the 'airline' manufacturers blamed.

Funny how BIB BIG money moves the baseline.

This guy being interviewed knows as well, but will not get drawn on actually stating the obvious.

Head in the clouds....

June 19, 2013 at 3:16 pm | Reply
    • Rob T

Your analysis makes no sense. The official finding that wiring in the fuel tank was responsible for the explosion would lead directly to blame towards the manufacturers, whereas a missle attack would not – one is clearly their responsibility, the other not in their control. I doubt the airline manufacturers were the ones most interested in covering up this event; quite the opposite, in fact – I'm sure they didn't appreciate their wiring being blamed for an explosion that was caused by something else...

June 19, 2013 at 8:58 pm | Reply